The House by the Lake

Sunbaenim!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Where exactly are we going?” Jieun asked, her gaze wandering on the impressive suburban scenery. The road started becoming a little rougher ten minutes ago, and now all she sees are trees and flowers in complete bloom.

“We’re in Cheongyang county.”

She just nodded, not really familiar with the area. Her family lived in Seoul since she was a baby, and she hadn’t visited any other province aside from Jeju which was where they went for a school trip in highschool, before she dropped out.

“It’s pretty here…but are you sure Jihoon’s here?”

Si Eon just grunted in agreement, too focused on driving, and probably worried about the kind of reception they will both receive once they arrive at Jihoon’s place, wherever that is. The road started sloping upward, and the it got narrower. In a few moments, a small traditional house came into view. It was beside a lake, and looked very serene.

Si Eon parked a few meters away, probably not to draw immediate attention from the owner of the house – presumably Jihoon.

“Ready?” Si Eon asked, his voice showing his hesitation.

She shrugged. “I’m not sure…but I didn’t sneak into your car just to chicken out at the last minute.”

The house has a small gate. On one of its posts is a small square button with a doorbell icon. Si Eon’s  pointer finger hovered over it, yet not pushing it to make a sound. He threw Jieun a hesitant look, prompting her to mouth “go for it!” at him. She saw him swallow hard before he finally pushed the button. They heard a deep voice (definitely Jihoon’s) call out, but none of them responded. A few moments later, Jihoon’s tall frame came into view.

He surprisingly looked well, but he hasn’t shaved. He was clearly not expecting visitors from Seoul.

When he finally saw who his visitors were, he stopped midway and put his hands in his pockets. It was a standoff. No one spoke. Si Eon and Jihoon just stared at each other; the former had a pleading look in his eyes, the latter looked like he wanted to punch someone.

Jieun knew it would go on like this if she didn’t intervene.

“Jihoon Oppa! How rude of you, won’t you invite us in?” She interjected, her tone too sunny. It was obvious that she was trying too hard.

Jihoon didn’t respond but she saw him sigh and slowly make his way to the gate.

He might have been a little cold when he initially greeted them, but as they got comfortable in the living room, Jihoon just looked tired and resigned to her.

Her eyes examined the house from her seat as she waited for the tea that Jihoon offered. The little house was almost bare – they were sitting on a couch that has seen better days; there’s  no television or computer in sight too. On the corner is a shelf with books, and some records. It didn’t match Jihoon’s flashy persona at all. However Jieun never really saw his house in Seoul so there’s no point of comparison, yet she expected something a little more of a mancave than a laid back, almost vintage looking interior.

“I only had green tea left. Still have to make a grocery run later.”  Jihoon said as he placed two steaming cups of tea on the center table.

“Green tea is fine.” Si Eon mentioned, managing a small smile.

“So..what brings you here?”

Ok, so he decided to get straight to the point. She took her chance.

“Oppa, everyone is so worried about you. I tried texting you, but you didn’t answer. I even thought you were really sick and left some porridge on your doorstep…” She smiled, trying hard to keep the conversation light hearted, but failing. “I just wanted to know if you’re okay. And I came by to tell you that the album is ready.”

“Jihoon, you can’t just disappear like that.” Si Eon pleaded.

Jieun elbowed him. It was important for Jihoon  to know that they’re here not to pressure him

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter