Dancing for Dummies

Sunbaenim!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For two weeks straight, Jihoon and Jieun met 2 hours before everyone else came for practice.

One day, while trying to catch their breath, Jieun told him how their pre-practice sessions are like the slomo dance practice tutorials she sees on youtube – because it was exactly like that. Jihoon broke down every move in a way that made it easier for Jieun to follow.

If that’s what it was to Jieun, Jihoon called their early morning routine ‘Dancing for Dummies’ – which, to his surprise, made Jieun laugh so hard for five whole minutes.

Dancing for dummies was effective though, because all the dancers noticed how she got better and was able to keep up without disrupting the flow of the practice unlike before.

Jieun

Week 1

“Why don’t I record myself dancing the entire thing so you can study it at home?” Jihoon told her while they ate the breakfast she brought with her.

He was sitting on the floor and eating the pancake burger enthusiastically. The past few days of having breakfast with Jihoon made Jieun see that:

1)He reeeally loves to eat. It surprised her because she knew he took fitness very seriously.

2) He has a thing for breakfast. And with breakfast, he means pancakes. But instead of putting syrup on it, he likes eating it with fruits.

3) He’s says random things that gives her a sudden fluttery feeling in her stomach.

A good example would be this moment. This guy not only offered to spend his mornings with her everyday to help her uncoordinated se;f dance perfectly in two weeks’ time, but he’s also offering to give her dance tutorial videos for self study. She was in too deep with her thoughts that she didn’t notice she hadn’t responded to his suggestion.

“Yah, Jieun, are you okay?”

“Er-errmm, yeah haha. Sure, those videos will really help.”

“Okay.”

That settled, Jihoon just continued devouring the pancake burger, not aware of the the weird effect his words had on her. Jieun had to re-orient her attention to her coffee and pancake burger just to get her thoughts straight.

One afternoon at home, while trying to work on her dancing, Inna  caught her sitting on the floor, her eyes transfixed on her TV screen. It took a while for her to notice that Inna was already sitting beside her, with a questioning look on her face. When she finally felt someone beside her, she shrieked out of surprise.

“Omo, it’s just you! Remind me to change my passcode.”

“Aigoo, you’re just embarrassed because I caught you haha.”

Jieun tried to put on a pokerface but it was impossible.

“Jieun, I saw you, you don’t have to pretend as if you weren’t drooling over Jihoon oppa’s video.”

“I wasn’t…I mean, maybe not that much, just a little, hehe.” Her face felt warm as she tried to reason against her bestfriend.

Pinching her side, and asking her to scoot over, Inna took a seat and gazed at the tall, ripped man dancing onscreen. Jihoon was just wearing a slightly loose gray shirt and sweatpants, but somehow it still shows his maginificent physique.

“Yah, why do you even have this video?”

“He gave it to me, because I at dancing. I need to put in more effort to get everything right.”

She then told Inna about their morning breakfast and practice routine.

When her friend didn’t say a word, Jieun turned to her and saw a teasing expression on her face.

“What?” Jieun challenged.

“Nothing.” Inna said, with a knowing smile on her face. “Pause the video first, I need to get snacks for this kind of thing, haha!”

“You ert!” Jieun said with a laugh, as she looked at Inna’s retreating figure disappear into the kitchen.
 

Week 2

So, Jieun realized she’s in deep trouble.

There is this lifting move in Last Fantasy – sort of like the one in Dirty Dancing, where Jihoon has to catch her after she makes a turn and runs towards him. Both of his hands would be splayed oneither sides of her waist, lifting her. Their faces would be so close together, like in the movies when actors have to take a slowmotion shot before a kiss. She can feel the warmth of his breath on her face, and their eyes would see nothing but each other's face. But that’s not even the worst part. He would then have to lower her slowly by embracing her upper torso, then slowly supporting her until her feet touches the ground. This means she would be enclosed in his arms, and those arms - they would have to travel from her back to her in a painfully slow manner. 

She didn’t really think it was a problem. Or, she didn’t have the chance to worry about it because she always went early and the lift always failed, that she never really ‘experienced’ how it would go, when done properly.

They’ve executed it once, and immediately after doing the lift, Jieun felt her knees go weak. It’s surprising because in her projects as an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter