It’s Time

Sunbaenim!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

After his emotional display the night before, Jihoon came back to his somewhat stoic self. He would engage Jieun when she tried to make fun conversation, but that’s pretty much it. Jieun gathered it was hard for him to share those thoughts out in the open, the same thoughts he’s been keeping to himself for more than a month.

Seeing him go through the restaurant’s entrance, Jieun waved at him, to which he responded with an easy smile.

“You done with deliveries?”

Jihoon nodded  then took a seat opposite her. Jieun was taking a short break after serving three tables and clearing up one.  She made small talk about how she’s met only a handful of people below the age of 40 in the week she’s spent in the county, which to her was unheard of. Growing up in the heart of Seoul meant being exposed to not only the newest fads, but to all age brackets. But then again, this peculiar situation in Cheongyang made it easier for her. So far, none of the people she served in the restaurant seemed to know who she was, or they probably didn’t care; either way, it was a win-win for her.  Jihoon mentioned the county is more like a retirement place for old people, and the general public in the county spent their time either farming, or staying at home watching old TV dramas – and when the folks here talk about old, they speak of dramas from the 80s and 90s.

“Youngja once told me this county hasn’t changed much save for the few establishments built in recent years, like the big supermarket an hour away, or the hospitals – which was needed for the old people who reside here.” He added.

“It’s like time stopped for this place, huh. But I think that’s the charm. There was a young man whom I’ve met a few days ago in the bus terminal. He helped me get here..he didn’t know me but he was so nice.”

Just then, as if summoned by her words, Haneul walked into the restaurant. A look of recognition immediately appeared on his face when he saw Jieun. She waved hello to the kind-faced young man, and approached him.

“Hello! Are you here to eat?”

“Yes. I’ve been craving for her kimchi stew. Where’s halmeoni?”

“Oh…she’s in the kitchen. Let me take your order.”

Jihoon gave the man a careful look – it was the first time he’s seen him.

Haneul gave Jihoon a friendly smile, but his response was an awkward, slightly forced smile with a nod.

“Sorry it took a while, I had to get to the other customers.” Said Jieun, who glanced at the two men and sensed an awkward atmosphere.

“It’s okay…I don’t come here for fast service, haha. Back when halmeoni didn’t have any help, I used to come atleast 20 minutes before lunch so I can get back to work on time.”

That made Jieun smile, knowing how cranky and slow Youngja is, especially at lunchtime. It’s as if she knows that the anticipation makes the customers crave for the food more. After Haneul finshed his meal and paid for his food, he approached Jieun and Jihoon who were having their lunch.

“Sorry..you’re eating..” He said apologetically.

Jieun waved his apology off and asked him what he wanted to say. Jihoon didn’t look as pleased to be interrupted while having his lunch. Haneul glanced at the tall grumpy Jihoon, then nervously proceeded.

“If you aren’t busy, we’ll be having a small get together tomorrow at my sister’s. You can bring your friend….” He ended tentatively with a sheepish grin aimed at Jihoon.

“Oh, so rude of me…this is Jihoon. We’re both helping out Youngja for a while.” Jieun glanced at Jihoon who was silent the entire time. She was unsure if he wanted to come with her, but she asked him anyway. What she got was a non-committal shrug. “What’s the party for?”

“It’s for my niece’s birthday..here in Cheongyang, every occasion becomes an event for the entire county, since there are not so many people here, hehe. So no need to feel conscious about attending. It would be great to have new faces with us.”

“Hmm…I’m not really sure. I’m planning to catch the early bus to Seoul tomorrow.”

Haneul looked a little disappointed, mentioning that the party will be a lunch get together.  

“That’s a shame…I would’ve wanted to experience a Cheongyang party before I leave.”

“Well…if you ever change your mind. You can just message me.” He then dictated his number to Jieun.

“Okay…that’s the first thing I plan to do in case my plans change.”

Haneul said his goodbye, glancing momentarily at the silent Jihoon before making his way out of the restaurant.

**

Sitting comfortably after a long day at the restaurant, Jieun smiled when Jihoon hande

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter