Detour

Sunbaenim!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Thank you, I hope you enjoyed your meal!”

Jieun greeted the couple goodbye as they went out of the restaurant. It’s her second day of helping Youngja in the restaurant, as promised. She expected for it to be awkward between them, but she was surprised by how the old lady seemed to take to her in a short period of time. There still aren’t very many patrons, as the weather has not completely improved, mostly folks from within the area come to dine or order takeaway food.

“Halmeoni, I’m done clearing the tables. Is there anything else you need help with?”

“Just the dishes, and then we can all have dinner together.”

Her stomach rumbled when Youngja mentioned dinner. It’s amazing how working at the restaurant makes time pass by so quickly.

When all the dishes were done, Jieun helped Youngja prepare the table for dinner. They were having Kimchi jjiggae, pickled vegetables, and greens. The smell of the stew made Jieun even hungrier by the minute.

“Sorry I took long, there was a misunderstanding with the delivery address.”

Jihoon walked in, helmet in hand.

“Come over here, let’s eat.” Youngja said.

Jieun looked around her and she felt an unusual feeling of contentment she’d never felt before. Not even in her breakout year as a singer, did she feel so at peace.

“What’s that face for?” Jihoon said, elbowing her.

“Nothing..” She chuckled.  “It’s a little cheesy, but in less than a week I feel like I’ve had the best vacation.”

“That’s what I keep telling Jihoon. He should take a break if he needs it. Look at you, you get sick so easily because you don’t eat well and have been accustomed to living a fast life. Instant everything.”

Jihoon caught Jieun’s eye and they just smiled at each other. Youngja still couldn’t forget how Jihoon has not come to visit for almost four years. They chatted for a few more minutes, then helped Youngja clear the table.

“Halmeoni, thank you for the delicious meal as always.”Said Jieun, as she hugged the old lady goodbye.

“You won’t accept money for your help here, so that’s the least I can do. I don’t even remember the last time I was able give this space a good cleaning, thanks to you I was able to do that.” Youngja won’t even let Jieun interrupt her.

Jieun wanted to insist some more that Youngja didn’t need to give her anything back for her help, but Youngja forced them out of the restaurant and asked them to go home and get some rest.

“Halmeoni always gets the last say..” Jieun said with an amused expression on her face as they made their way to Jihoon’s bike.


“When I met her years ago she was also very stubborn. But I’m glad that she gladly accepts help now. She’s way too old to keep working, but she insists she wouldn’t know what to do without the restaurant.”

Jieun didn’t want to go home just yet. She felt that if she is going to leave Cheongyang soon, she’s going to miss the place. Already decided, she asked Jihoon if he wanted to take a detour before going home.

“Do you have anything in mind? Jieun, this is not Seoul. There’s nowhere to go after 8pm.”

She scowled at him. “Of course, I know that. But aren’t there nice places to go to at night? Like someplace where we can just sit and have beer or something.”

Jihoon made a face. He knew she wasn’t a good drinker.

“Aish, it’s just that having beer after a long workday seems so nice. Like one of the things people in dramas or movies do. I want to do it for real, not just on screen.” She insisted, tugging playfully at Jihoon’s shirt sleeve.

Jihoon looked a little hesitant at first, maybe a little tired, but the corners of his lips rose a little.

“Come on, I might leave this place soon. Just put up with me a bit more.” She continued tugging at his shirt, adding a little cuteness which he usually finds annoying.

“Aish, fine, if you promise to stop acting cute.”

She jumped up and down and gave him a wide grin.

The took a short stop at the nearest convenience store. He grabbed a couple of non-alcoholic beers and some chips, then they went to a familiar place – it’s the suspension bridge where Jihoon took her on that day she was supposed to go back to Seoul.

She felt a little uncomfortable at first, but she tried not to show it. The place sort of has a meaningful charm to it – the place where she finally came into terms with how she truly felt about Jihoon; at the same time, it’s the place that made her see how dumb it would be to think that they could be anything more than wo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter