There’s No Party Like a Cheongyang Party

Sunbaenim!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Jieun entered the modest, gated bungalow, it felt like she was transported to a different universe. There were around twenty people, but there were no awkward conversations, only warmth and the sound of scattered chatter and laughter, coupled with the pleasant aroma of barbecue. To her, family gatherings consisted of finding ways to dodge weird questions from her grandparents, aunts and uncles.

“Halmeoni!” Jieun exclaimed when she saw Youngja seated cross legged on the floor, with other people, talking over barbecue and drinks.

The old lady asked her to sit beside her.

“Jihoon didn’t come with you?”

“No…he wasn’t in the mood.” She heard Youngja snicker, as if she knew exactly what she meant. “Haneul drove me here. I’ll be going back to Seoul in the afternoon. Sorry I only told you now, it’s a little sudden.”

“Aigoo, no need to say sorry…you don’t  owe me any help in the restaurant anyway. If it was up to me, I’d gladly ask you to leave and not waste your time with an old lady like me.”

“Aigoo…don’t say that halmeoni. I enjoyed my time helping out. It was like a vacation.”

Youngja gave her a funny look, not understanding why working in a restaurant with an old lady is considered vacation, but Jieun just gave her a grin. She can’t possibly explain how cleaning tables is considered vacation compared to constant pressure of being a celebrity, without giving her real identity away.

After a scrumptious meal with Youngja and the other old ladies who shared the table with her, Jieun came to greet the birthday girl.

“Jinju, this is Jieun, she came to greet you a happy birthday.”

Jinju smiled widely as if they’ve been friends forever. When the little girl stretched out her hand, Jieun was surprised. Jinju wanted to shake her hand. Haneul whispered that Jinju acts like an old lady more often than not because she’s more or less surrounded by old people.

Wanting to make friends with the little girl, Jieun squatted before taking Jinju’s hand.

“Nice to meet you, my name is Jieun. Thanks for inviting me to your party.”

“It’s my pleasure…and you’re so pretty!! Can we be friends?”

It made Jieun chuckle. She nodded vigorously and gave the adorable girl a hug.

“I’m sorry I didn’t bring you a present..”

“It’s alright. People usually give me dolls and other toys. But I find them boring.”

Jinju crossed her arms, looking dead serious about what she’s talking about. Her uncle was grinning from ear to ear, a little embarrassed and trying to stop her from being rude in front of her new friend, but Jieun just let Jinju speak her mind.

‘What kind of gift do you prefer then?”

“Books..I’m currently obsessed with space.”

Jieun shifted her gaze to Haneul, who just responded with a shrug.

“Wow. I’ll take note of that for future gifts, then.”

Jinju excused herself, saying she wanted to mingle with her other visitors. When she saw the little kid make her way to Youngja’s table it made her laugh. Jinju did seem like an old person trapped in a five year old’s body.

“Yah, your niece is so adorable!”

“I know, but sometimes she can be a handful. She doesn’t like being treated like a kid..when in reality, she still is.”

Haneul introduced her to some of the younger people in the party, Jinju's parents, two of his workmates, and the parents of one of Jinju’s schoolmates, who drove for more than an hour to attend the party with their son.

“I think it’s time..” Dong-Il, Jinju's father, said energetically.

“Time for what?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter