Sleepless

Sunbaenim!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s 1 am and sleep has still not visited Jihoon. He’s always had difficulty sleeping, but it got even worse since that fateful dinner date with Taehee. They haven’t contacted each other since then, and Jihoon had no wish to do so anytime soon. He has no courage to face her, nor to finally put this thing between them into finality.

For days, he’s been staying up in his mini studio at home, trying to write some songs to no avail. It seems like even the creative part of his brain is in a mourning phase. This time, he’s resolved to do something, anything, just so he can take his mind off the things that’s bothering him.

Jihoon decided to visit the RAIN Company studio where his producers and the entire Duality team have kept the tracks for the upcoming album. He and Jieun decided it’s safer to keep and finish the album there since it’s solely under Jihoon’s control, learning from the leak that happened a few months ago.

The nightshift security guard greeted him as he went into the building. It's clear that he was not even surprised to see Jihoon – the company staff knew how much a of a night owl and a workaholic he is. The guard then told him that one of the recording studios is in use since early evening.

Probably one of the trainees. Good for them.

Walking through the corridor, he can already hear sound coming from one of the rooms. Peeking to check on the work of the trainees, he was surprised to see Jieun intently listening to one of the tracks with a producer. He walked in, but both didn’t notice him come in as they’re both engrossed on discussing the track.

When the song ended, Jihoon cleared his throat, and both turned to look at him.

“Oppa, you’re here.” Jieun addressed him with a surprised look on her face. She also glanced at her watch and gave a look of surprise. She probably lost track of the time and didn’t notice it was already morning.

“I came by to check on the songs, see if there’s any work to be done.” He explained.

“I didn’t even notice the time. I was also checking my recordings, just want to make last minute checks.”

He saw Jieun’s curious gaze. It looked as if she wanted to ask him something but is a little hesitant.

“Ask. I won’t bite.”

She chuckled.

“Do you work this late all the time?” She paused, glancing at the producer, and then back at Jihoon. “I was just about to tell Hyuk that we can finish up..but…”

He smiled.

“Jieun, I can work by myself. I usually just leave notes before I go or send a message to the staff in case I recorded something or wanted to make some changes.”

“Ahhh.” Jieun then smiled at Hyuk, who said he was going home.

It was just Jihoon and Jieun inside the studio.

“Are you going home too?” Jihoon asked, as he scrolled on his phone, looking at his notes.

“Hmmm…not sure. Something’s bothering me about the Rainism track.”

“Want to work on it? I can help you.” he readily offered, welcoming any distraction from the fact that his creative juices aren't flowing. Especially for the songs he's been working on. Helping Jieun might spur on his ideas. 

“Yah, why are you even here so late? Don’t you ever sleep?”

Jihoon gave her a pointed look.

“That’s rich, coming from the person who’s been here since early evening. The guard told me. I didn’t know it was you.”

Jieun sighed.

“I’m a little worried, to be honest.” She crossed her arms and leaned back on her seat. “I don’t know if my version of your songs will be received well. Also, I’m not very satisfied with the original songs I w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter