Just Friends

Sunbaenim!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Just call me if you need anything else. The band’s just recording in the next building.” Junghoon said as Jieun made her way out of the car.

“Okay..but I’d rather not. It’s enough trouble that you drove me here.”

“It’s not your fault that Hanteo is sick. And I don’t want you to ride a cab or something. Take care!”

Jieun nodded and said goodbye. She watched Junghoon drive away with a smile.

Last night, she couldn’t stop overthinking about the first rehearsal for Duality’s 2nd leg. If there was any way she could escape this rehearsal, she would. She was so confident a few days back, but what Jihoon told her and how he acted when they last saw each other raised some questions in her head.

A few moments before the meeting ended for their show a few days back..

Her phone beeped. When she saw that it was a text message from Jihoon, she got confused, because he’s just sitting right in front of her. Glancing at him to see what he was up to, he gave her a nod, as if urging her to go and read his message.

Do you have time to talk? It’s personal and I think you should know.

Jieun frowned at the cryptic text message.

Okay. I got a moment.

Jihoon drove to a quiet café which is owned by someone he knew. He led her to table that was almost hidden from anyone’s view, which is pretty smart, given that both of them have been hot topics lately.

“So..what was that cryptic message for, oppa?” Jieun asked directly, as she fondled her cup’s handle. She felt a little restless sitting in close proximity with Jihoon, and not knowing what it is he wanted to talk about.

Jihoon took his time sipping from his cup, his gaze studying her intently. This made Jieun even more nervous.

“I just wanted to say something I should’ve said before. This guy you’re dating…who is he?”

The thing is, Jieun lied. She’s not really dating anyone. The closest thing to a date she’s had are those times she hung out with Junghoon, but those were more or less friendly dates. She can’t, for the life of her, explain why she had to tell Changmo that she’s dating even if she actually wasn’t. It can’t be because Jihoon was around? Or was she just trying to show Jihoon that she’d moved on?

“Jieun…”

She spaced out, and Jihoon’s voice called her back to earth.

“Mianhe..I think I’m a little tired. I’ve been very busy these past few months.”

“I’ve seen that. You’ve been doing a lot of projects and magazine shoots. Everyone’s talking about it.”

Again, that look from him. The same look he’s been giving her the entire afternoon. It’s like the look he has when he’s frustrated or when he couldn’t win a stupid game. There was also something else, but she can’t put her finger on it.

“Well….to answer your question, yeah, I’ve been going out with Junghoon. But to be honest, oppa, I don’t think you should be asking me about this.”

Her bluntness made Jihoon fidget in his seat. He took a sip from his cup and he suddenly became insterested in the intricate design of the coffee table, his gaze firmly fixed on it.

Jieun 1 – 0 Jihoon.

That regained her confidence. So what if she lied? Jihoon has no right to come asking about her private decisions, much more about the details of her dating life. He lost all the right when he told her they have to go back to how they were before Cheongyang happened. This is her setting her boundaries, and Jihoon has to respect that.

“Jieun. I didn’t mean for this to seem like I’m rubbernecking into your life. I’m sorry if it came out like that. But there’s something you need to know about Junghoon.”

They stared at each other for a long time. She could see Jihoon’s grip tighten on the coffee cup’s handle.

A part of her wanted to know what this “important thing” about Junghoon was, but a part of her didn’t want to care what Jihoon has to say about him. He has no say in her romantic life anyway.

“Oppa. I don’t want to sound disrespectful, but there’s no better way to say it. I don’t think you should have a say on the people I choose to date..not after..”

She couldn’t finish her sentence. It was too humiliating to say the words. Instead, she chose to end their conversation in a lighthearted manner.

“I think it’s best if we just end it here. I look forward to our upcoming shows.” She said with a smile

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter