Jieun’s Dilemma

Sunbaenim!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

January 2017

Jieun’s brows furrowed when she read the entertainment portions of the day’s news.  Her single, Palette, was featured but it mostly talked about her collaboration with G-Dragon. Most of the comments were from Bigbang fans, and none talked about how she was the primary producer and lyricist of the song. One comment especially stung:

“IU’s music appeals to a specific niche, but our Jiyongie made her appeal to the general public, as expected from Bigbang’s Leader! Fighting Jiyongie!!”

What made her feel worse was that The Korea Herald gave her album a fairly good review, but it mentioned how the sound felt all too familiar, and did not offer much variety from her previous efforts.

“I told you to stop reading comments online. It’s toxic.”

Jieun didn’t even notice that her friend, Si Eon, whom she considers an older brother, has entered the studio. She met Si Eon when she started taking on roles in dramas. Their friendship grew naturally when Jieun was just starting out and Si Eon hung out with her co-stars, who were a little cold to her. His outgoing personality helped her introverted self cope up.

She knew that if the entire industry ever decides to turn their backs on her, she can always rely on her Si Eon oppa.

 “I wasn’t reading them.” She said, clearing and trying to make her face appear neutral.

Si Eon took a seat beside her, a suspicious look on his face.

“Right. That’s why your face looks exactly the same when I first met you.”

Jieun smirked.

He always brings that back whenever I whine or feel down.

Si Eon told her years ago that he befriended her because she looked like a lost kid, ready to cry at the slightest opportunity.

“Aigoo, I was just kidding.”

“Why are you here anyways?”

“Well, I knew you would be sulking when you read the reviews. I know you. You were expecting so much from this album and you worked so hard for it.”

He offered a small, reassuring smile that looked a little too sad to Jieun. It annoyed her when people feel sad for her, but it also reassured her that someone actually cared about how she felt.

“Fine, okay. I did read them.” She said with a deep sigh. ”Will you atleast buy me something delicious, since you’re already here to pity me.”

Si Eon laughed and replied, “I knew it, you just wanted free food.”

The two of them decided to grab gelato from a nearby shop. While Jieun was choosing the flavor she wanted, Si Eon’s phone rang.

“Huh? He did what?...No, he didn’t tell me. Arasso, I’ll try to contact him…Okay, bye.”

The mixture of surprise and worry on Si Eon’s face aroused her curiosity.

“Who was that?”

“Changmo hyung..” He replied, a little absent mindedly.

The name was familiar, but she couldn’t remember why. Then suddenly she remembered. Changmo is her archnemesis’ manager. She would sometimes forget that she shared com

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter