Hide and Seek

Sunbaenim!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Stretching in bed, Jieun marvelled at the fact that she’s actually looking forward to dance practice today. It’s been almost two weeks of nonstop practice sessions for the showcase and the situation between her and the caveman is finally a little better. She got annoyed at his sudden departure yesterday but maybe it was for the best, because she was more comfortable during the afternoon session. Hongshi and Hyunseung were very helpful and patient with her, and she had a good time getting to know everyone without Jihoon’s hawk-like eyes spying around. Not to mention the fact that she has to call him sunbaenim every single time.

Jihoon and honorifics? Not gonna work.

Truth be told, she realized that she probably went a little overboard with Jihoon yesterday. A part of her is puzzled over her outburst. Maybe she found it a little less exciting when he’s not around? Like there’s no one to complain against or get mad at when she gets tired and the dancing gets frustrating or too hard.

Jieun, let’s try and not be too emotional today, okay?

As usual it was still early when she arrived at the dance practice studio. Practice starts at 8 am, and some of the dancers who were already there were either chatting or stretching.

When it was already 8 o’clock and Jihoon still wasn’t there, Hyunseung and Hongshi exchanged looks. Sensing their apprehension, Jieun initiated that they start practice just like they did yesterday, with Hongshi taking Jihoon’s place.

Everything went smoothly, but Jieun kept on looking at the clock.

Just when I thought I would be kinder to the jerk today, he chooses to be late!

Finally, Jihoon graced everyone with his presence before 9 am. Jieun knew immediately that something was off. He just came in without saying anything. His usual routine was to greet every person he meets – which she usually found annoying. It always seemed like he was running for office and rubbing it on her face how nice and well-liked he is. But somehow this icy, silent Jihoon seemed like a bad omen.

The team took a five minute break, and she saw Hongshi approach Jihoon. They exchanged a few words and the former gave Jihoon a light pat on the back before grabbing his water bottle and taking a seat.

Out of curiousity, Jieun decided to approach him and ask. She glanced at him and saw that he kept his sunglasses on (probably hiding tired looking eyes?) and that he didn’t look as energetic as usual.

“Sunbaenim, I’m glad you’ve finally decided to grace us mere mortals with your presence.”

Her words came out with a bit of a biting sarcasm than she intended. It seemed like fighting with Jihoon has become so ingrained in her system that it comes out even when she doesn’t want it to. She was just curious why he was late and why he looked awful.

But all her worries were for nothing because Jihoon just glanced at her and continued walking as if she was just made of thin air. Taking a deep breath to keep her temper in check, Jieun decided to just let it go. Obviously, something was eating the caveman today, and she didn’t need additional drama in her life.

Not until later that day, when Jihoon was especially agitated with her dancing. Not that she didn’t deserve the criticism, because God knows she did. They’ve been practicing the routine for Last Fantasy since yesterday, but she just couldn’t perfect it. It didn’t feel like such a struggle with Hyunseung and Hongshi by her side and guiding her; with Jihoon it felt like every mistake would tear the world apart.

With an audible sigh, Jihoon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter