Jihoon Sunbaenim

Sunbaenim!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jieun was drowning in a sea of screaming teenagers. Everyone was waving pompoms and screaming “Saranghaeyo Jung Jihoon!” at the top of their lungs. Inna was clasping her hand tightly, as she led her towards the front, not caring about the angry fangirls who were claiming the front spot. Jieun was gasping for air and her body felt bruised from all that squeezing in through a throng of fierce, rabid fans, but when she finally got to the front of the crowd, it all felt worth it.

There he was, her Jihoon oppa, wearing a leather sleeveless top that was a little too short and showed a bit of his sculpted torso everytime he moved. He was singing her favorite song from his new album. It was a sad song called 난, and her eyes  started welling up from the first note. It’s her first time seeing him live in two years of being his fan, and it was Inna who helped make it possible. It’s a thing that good daughters wouldn’t do, but they told her mom she was going to stay at Inna’s to study for midterms. Instead, they slipped out to watch Jihoon’s stage at Inkigayo.

For the life of her, she never imagined she would lie to her parents just to see a popstar sing in the flesh, but at this exact moment there’s no doubt she would do it all over again. And just as the tears – a mixture of happiness and disbelief – started pouring down her cheeks, Jihoon looked at her and smiled.  She felt the same familiar butterflies fill her stomach and –

Her ever faithful alarm went off and Jieun opened her eyes wide. Her hands touched her cheeks. They were wet…with tears. Real tears.

Did I just dream about that caveman?

It was a dream, but it’s also real – because it was a memory from 2004.

Great, just what I needed for the day.

Propping herself up from her bed, she glanced to the right to see Inna still sleeping soundly.

“Inna, I need to go in a bit. I have practice today.”

Inna responded in a garbled, sleepy language she didn’t understand.

“C’mon, I’m going to call Hanteo to drive me to my apartment. We can drop you off.”

--

While waiting for Hanteo, Jieun’s mom made breakfast, much to the delight of the two hungry ladies.

“Ahhh. I missed your homecooking, Eomeoni.”

Jieun snickered while watching Inna devour every dish that her mom set out before her.

“Yah, chew your food properly.”

“Jieun-ah, stop pestering your friend and eat up. You’re skinny as it is and you don’t look well.” Mina, her mom, admonished lovingly.

Her mom hated it when she went on diets to keep her petite figure. She was a small kid, but when she reached her teenage years, she started gaining a little weight, which most agencies didn’t like when she started auditioning. Her heart hurt a little whenever her mom would worry about her health, so she just lets her worry and nag. She understood that it’s her mom’s way of airing out her concern for her one and only daughter.

“Arasso, can’t you see I’m on my second bowl of rice.” She said with a sheepish smile.

“Eomeoni, Jieun finished almost all of the chicken last night, you don’t have to worry about her.” Inna added with a snicker.

“Fried food and soju is not a decent meal. You should’ve called in advance before you came last night.”

“We will next time, eomma. And don’t worry, I’m eating well.”

“Fine, if you say so. If I find out you’re doing those crazy fad diets again, I’m going to tell your dad.”

Heavy footsteps entered the dining room just as they were talking about the man – it’s Jieun’s dad.

“Tell me what?” Jinwoo asked his wife curiously.

“Nothing, appa, she’s just nagging.”

“Aigoo jagiya, our daughter rarely sleeps over and then you nag her.” Her dad then turned his attention to her, his eyes intent. “So, you’re working with that tall guy, that man you’ve skipped classes for when you were young, huh?”

Jieun’s face turned pink, which made her dad chuckle.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter