Between Friends

Sunbaenim!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jihoon

“Yah, your face looks so flushed.” He glanced at the petite lady seated on the passenger seat, when he didn’t get a response.

He’s been trying to make small talk, but Jieun just sat there, her arms crossed over her chest, looking sullen. He tried to engage her again, to no avail. It felt like he was talking to thin air. Frustrated, he pulled over and turned to Jieun.

“What’s wrong?” Jihoon prodded, a sigh escaping him when Jieun still didn’t respond. Her gaze still fixed on the road ahead.

“Jieun, I won’t know if you don’t tell me.”

When she finally faced him, he could tell she was angry.

“Was that really necessary?” This time she was turned to her right, her arms still crossed over her chest, and directly facing him.

“Do what, Jieun? Protect you from that guy?”

“I’m perfectly capable of taking care of myself, Oppa. Besides, Junghoon was upset. He thinks I don’t trust him.”

Jihoon suddenly felt stupid. Why was he being so nosy, and getting into an adult’s personal decisions? Besides, he doesn’t have all the information about Junghoon. What he saw might not mean anything. The woman he saw might not be Junghoon’s girlfriend or fling or whatever. Or it might mean something, but it’s still not his business. Still, he debated whether to tell Jieun about what he saw or not. Looking at her, and how annoyed she is, it might not be a good idea.

Resolved not to get into a big fight with Jieun,  Jihoon changed the topic and asked if she’d rather go to her apartment or to her parents’ house. Getting confirmation, he put the key into the ignition and drove towards the direction of the Lee household. The drive was silent and awkward. Jieun barely made a sound, seemingly entertained by the scenery as seen through her passenger window.

When they finally arrived, Jihoon initiated the conversation.

“Jieun, I’m sorry if I went out of line. I was just concerned. Next time I won’t get into your business unless you ask me to.”

“It’s okay.”

Her voice sounded tired. Both of them are not looking at each other as they spoke.

“Alright, say hi to your mother for me.” He replied, trying to put a good ending to the evening.

“I will.”

Jieun opened the door and waved goodbye, managing to offer a weak smile, unaware that her mother just came out of the house and was walking towards the car. Jieun only noticed when she saw a wide grin break out on Jihoon’s face, which made her turn.

“Eomma!”

Her mother just smiled at her, but her gaze was fixed on the man visible through the open passenger door.

“Jihoon-ssi! How are you?”

Jihoon politely went out to meet her, awkardly receiving an affectionate hug from Jieun’s eomma.

“I’m doing well, eommeoni. Is it just me or do you look younger than the last time I saw you?”

Mina was giggling, and affectionately patting Jihoon’s forearm. Then, she started sulking because Jihoon never came by to get his refill of side dishes, to which he said that it’s the exact reason why he hasn’t returned the containers yet – because he intends to get his refill.

“Aigoo, what a sweet talker. What brings you here? Did my Jieun cause trouble again?”

“Eomma, I didn’t. Jihoon just drove me home.”

Jihoon caught a pointed look that Jieun directed at him.

“Yeah, I knew she doesn’t drive, so I offered to drive her home.”

Mina nodded, and then offered for Jihoon to come in and have something to drink. Jihoon wanted to say no, but Mina was too persistent, repeating how he’s too kind to drive Jieun home and all that.

“Yah, you should’ve refused.” Jieun whispered, as they both sat in the living room while waiting for Mina to bring the tea.

Jihoon just elbowed her, whispering back that he can’t possibly turn down her mother who looked so happy to entertain visitors.

“Here just some tea and snacks before you go.”

Mina put a tray neatly stacked with a teapot, tea cups, and a plate of cookies.

“If I visit you a lot, I bet I’m going to gain a lot of weight.” Said Jihoon to Mina who was busy pouring tea into the cups.

“It’s good to eat homemade food, Jihoon-ssi. Especially people who work a lot and stay up late like you.”

“Eomma, it’s late, you can go to bed. I’ll take care of the dishes before Jihoon leaves.”

Her mom scolded her for not using her honorifics with Jihoon which made Jihoon smile, and it took quite some convincing before she finally agreed to go to bed.

“Your mother is such a sweet lady. These cookies are great too.” Jihoon mumbled, as he busily chewed on the snack.

“Pretty much the reason why I became a little chunky when I was in highschool. Our house never ran out of snacks.”

Jieun was just drinking her tea, but not eating the cookies. She mentioned being on a diet, which Jihoon understood. Their line of work requires unreal standards of beauty, and he too is familiar with that.

“It’s late, I should get going.”

Jieun nodded and offered to walk him out.

When they w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter