Foes

Sunbaenim!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Really, this is the first place you thought of?”

Jihoon flashed a small lopsided grin at her sour expression. They stopped at what looked like the middle of nowhere – and a place filled with row upon row of chili peppers. Jihoon brought her to a chili pepper plantation, of all places.

“Well, you asked for a tour. I’m giving you one.”

“But a chili pepper plantation, really?”

“Have you ever been to one?”

“No.”

“Now you have.”

“You’re so annoying.” She made a face, then took a look around. “This is pretty cool, though.”

“Yeah, their chili peppers are famous. It’s the spiciest in the entire country.”

“Didn’t know you’re going to give me a proper tour – it feels like I’m in middle school again.” She joked.

When Jihoon threatened to cut the trip short and immediately drive her to the bus terminal, she laid low with the jokes. They took a walk, exploring the expansive plantation.

“Sometimes it amazes me how  there are places that seem like a different world from the Korea I know.” She remarked, as she watched a group of workers carrying baskets of chili peppers.

“Maybe to us. But not to them. See, it’s nice to go to places you’ve never been before.”

Jihoon motioned for them to take a seat under the shelter of a tree close by. She wanted to, but sitting down with her skirt, which was above knee length, would make her feel conscious if she was being honest. Jihoon seemed to understand immediately, and took off the long sleeved button down he was wearing over a thin tank top, then handed it to her.

“Thank you.” Jieun felt conscious about the sudden warmth that seemed to flood her cheeks.

Here I go again. Get a hold of yourself, Jieun!

“Sorry I didn’t think you’d feel uncomfortable.”

“No, it’s fine..it would’ve been better if my skirt was a little longer.” She used Jihoon’s shirt to cover up, as she took a spot beside him.

They didn’t speak for a few moments, just people watching and taking in the beauty of nature. It was Jihoon who broke the silence first, surprisingly.

“What do you plan to do when you go back to Seoul?”

“Probably prepare myself for Hanteo’s nagging…I know he didn’t like my sudden trip. I told Si Eon to relay that I’m having a short vacation.”

“Well, the album’s done, right? And Running Man and the other scheduled guestings were taken cared of.”

“Do you miss Seoul already?”

“Not even a little bit. I like it here.”

“Do they have an idea who you are?”

“Well, not really. I don’t think I look the same with these clothes and with this.” He pointed to his growing facial hair. Jieun also noticed that his hair looked a little longer when it’s not styled. “Most people here are above fifty, and none of them care about popular music, so I guess I’m safe.”

Jieun liked that he’s starting to open up little by little. It gave her hope that she will be able to talk to him and persuade him to listen to reason before she leaves.

“So you’ve made friends here?”

“A few. Most of them are old people. Halmeoni, you’ll meet her later when we eat at her restaurant.”

“So they think you just come here for what…for vacation?”

He gave her a half-hearted shrug.

“So, you want a sample of Cheongyang County’s cuisine?” Jihoon asked, steering the topic to another direction.

She offered a smile, not making it obvious that she noticed his disregard for her last question.

“Of course, I don’t say no to food.”

It was a short drive to the restaurant called Youngja’s. The area looked unassuming, and traveller-friendly. Youngja’s is situated in a street lined with four other restaurants, next to a small souvenir shop with a huge chili pepper signage.

“Halmeoni, give us two bowls of naengmyon, please.”

A small lady with a stern facial expression peeked from the kitchen. There were no other customers; the entire street actually looked pretty dead to Jieun’s eyes. She was used to the restaurants in Seoul, usually teeming with people especially in the afternoon.

“Jihoonah?”

Jihoon came up to her and gave her a hug. The old lady looked unaffected by Jihoon’s gesture.

“You come and go as you please and don’t even call or come by.”

“Aigoo…mianhe, halmeoni. I’m not very good at saying goodbye or knowing when I have time to come and visit.” He flashed a warm smile at the scowling Youngja. “I just had time off from work suddenly and decided to have a short vacation here. I know you missed me, hehe. I promise to help around here, just like last time.”

Jieun watched them from her seat. Youngjae was still looked unhappy, but when Jihoon draped an arm over her small, frail shoulders and promised to help out, she could see a shadow of a small smile.

They look close. It’s cute.

She was never really close to any of her grandmothers. Not that she disliked them; but growing up, it was difficult for them to digest the fact that their one and only female grandchild played football all afternoon, and learned how to play guitar when she’s home, instead of playing with dolls. They all expected a demure little lady whom they can buy cute dresses for. She’s definitely outgrown the “tomboy” side of her, but it was all too late –her only living grandmother still looks at her like she’s a mutant whenever they see each other, which is not very often. Her work as a singer and actresss is also a touchy subject to them. They always made it clear that it could’ve been better if she went to university and found a “real” career like most kids do.

Seeing ihoon and Youngja approach the table with  trays of food brought her back to the present.

“Hello halmeoni, I’m Jieun, Jihoon’s friend.” She said after giving Youngja a respectful bow.

It

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter