Jieun’s Dark Secret

Sunbaenim!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jieun’s eyes squinted at the sunlight streaming through the window.

Half asleep, half awake, the throbbing headache that greeted her was her body’s way of reminding her of the unusual amount of alcohol she’s ingested the night before. Wanting to escape her headache with more sleep, she snuggled closer to her pillow, noticing the familiar sheets her eomma bought her years ago.

This isn’t my apartment.

“Ah, Hanteo probably drove me here..” She thought aloud, not able to completely piece together the events of last night.

The thought of having a warm bowl of samgyetang from her eomma’s kitchen made her headache feel a little bearable. Forcing herself to sit up, she called out to her mother, asking if she can have a bowl of samgyetang before leaving.

Her mother’s quick response told her that she’s already up and tinkering in the kitchen. Jieun’s stomach growled at the idea of her mother’s homecooked food. She groggily got up, and made her way to the kitchen. 

“Eomma,  do we have –“ Jieun was supposed to ask for aspirin, but for her brain failed to form the words when she saw a familiar figure sitting at the dining table

What’s is Jihoon doing in our house???!!

He was wearing her appa’s clothes, but they were too tight at his arms and chest area. Same goes for their house. No one in her family went beyond 5’5 , and so having Jihoon in their home seemed to dwarf their usually normal-sized dining room.

“Jieun, you’re awake. I already made samgyetang..you and I, we have a lot to talk about later.” Her eomma gave her a pointed look then told her to eat up.

She didn’t know how she was able to take a seat beside Jihoon because it felt like her soul departed her body. There were a lot of questions running through her mind.

Did Jihoon see her room? And by room, she meant the shrine she’s built for him from years of being a Cloud?

How did he know her parents’ address?

What the heck happened last night?

Jieun felt like a robot which needed rebooting. She just couldn’t remember a thing, except for the drinking game Gori started. That was where her memory of last night ended.

Her thoughts were interrupted by Jihoon’s question.

“Aren’t you going to eat?”

She studied his face, looking for clues. He seemed innocent enough – as if he hasn’t found out about her biggest, darkest secret.

Jieun knew her “dark” past will catch up with her one way or another, but she never imagined it would go this way. She put her head on both hands in exasperation.

“Yah, what’s up with you?”

She managed a weak whimper, still unable to talk to him.

“Stop being a baby, and eat up, Jieun. You’re lucky your appa wasn’t here last night or you would’ve gotten an earful.” Her mom scolded, while scooping some soup into Jieun’s bowl. “Imagine how shocked I was when Jihoon called up to tell me you’re too drunk to go home. Tsk, tsk.”

Clearing and summoning enough courage to finally talk to Jihoon, she asked, “How did you know my parents’ home address?”

“I have my ways.” He said with a wink.

Jieun couldn’t handle the smugness in Jihoon’s face.

“We’ll talk later.” She whispered-hissed at Jihoon who was having fun teasing her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter