Boyfriend Duties

Sunbaenim!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jieun caught Jihoon wiping the palm of his right hand on his thigh for the third time. His face looked calm, but his adam’s apple kept bobbing up and down, which gave away the truth: he’s nervous.

When she put a hand on his thigh, he gave a little start but he quickly recovered, flashing her a small smile.

“You okay?” She asked.

“Uh-huh.”

Jieun can tell he wasn’t, but she didn’t push anymore.

A few more minutes of a relatively silent drive and they finally arrived at her parents’ house. Jihoon got out first to take the wine and a huge pack of premium korean beef that Jihoon insisted they get, despite her objection. A small smile was forming on her lips as she watched Jihoon fuss over the food, thinking how adorable it is for him to get so nervous over a family dinner. She held out her hand and coaxed Jihoon to stop fussing because it’s time to get inside. All she got was a low grunt and a clammy hand enclosing hers.

“It’s going to be okay, don’t get too nervous.”

Jihoon looked even more flustered when she said this.

“I know..” He smiled and reluctantly took a step towards the familiar doorway to Jieun’s childhood home.

Mina was almost squealing in delight when the two of them entered the door, and she seemed more excited to see Jihoon than her own daughter.

“Aigoo, Jihoon-ssi, you didn’t have to..” she said, beaming, when Jihoon hander her the wine and the beef.

“Appa!!!”

Jinwoo, Jieun’s father, was floored when she ran to give him a tight hug.

“It feels like forever since I last saw you, you’re too busy!” He complained, but the corners of his mouth were rising, not able to contain the joy of seeing his daughter home.

“Mianheyo, I’ve been home a few times, but when I’m home, you’re away for work.”

Her dad finally gave her a huge grin.

It was then that Jihoon occupied the space next to Jieun and bowed to greet Jinwoo.

“Appa, I’d like you to meet my boyfriend.”

There was an awkward silence when Jihoon extended his hand but Jinwoo just stared at him, his eyes inspecting him from head to toe. Gone was the smile he so readily gave Jieun earlier.

“Appa…don’t be like that…” Jieun nudged JInwoo on the side, which urged him to shake Jihoon’s hand. His face however, told Jihoon that they have some talking to do.

“It’s nice to finally meet you, Abbunim.”

Jieun gave Jihoon a small, reassuring smile when Jinwoo just cleared his throat and walked towards the dining area.

“Appa is just sizing you out. It’s going to be fine.” She said, before grabbing his hand and leading him towards the dining table.

***

“Try the Bossam, Jihoon-ssi. I made it specially for today.” Mina said, holding the platter out to him.

Jihoon thanked Mina and took the platter from her. The Bossam was so good that he almost forgot how painfully awkward It was to eat while a pair of eyes carefully studied him. As he ate another spoonful of rice and smiled at Mina’s story about how she prepared today’s dinner, he could still feel Jinwoo’s eyes boring holes on the side of his face.

He thought he would be able to handle today calmly, but he can tell from Jieun’s actions that his nerves is showing. If not for Mina, he’d probably be a puddle right now, because Jinwoo’s eyes seemed to be melting him like a pair of lasers.

As if Jinwoo was reading his mind, he started asking questions, mostly directed at him. If not they’re about him.

“Jieun, didn’t you tell us you didn’t get along with him?”

He almost choked on his rice when Jinwoo’s gaze fell on him fleetingly before returning to Jieun.

“Appa, it was different then, I didn’t fully know him. You have no idea how much he put up with me sometimes.” Jieun answered, sounding a little exasperated at her father’s attitude.

The dinner was quieter after that, with Jinwoo probably sensing Jieun’s exasperation. After they had dessert, Jihoon presented to help them clear up, but both women were adamant. He had no choice but to sit awkwardly at the living room where Jinwoo was silently watching the news.

It felt like an eternity passed before Jinwoo cleared his throat and asked if he wanted some tea. When he came back, Jihoon was expecting the silence between them to continue, but Jinwoo started talking.

“Eherm…so….you’re really dating my daughter?” Jinwoo was focused on the tea cup he was holding, but when his gaze flicked towards Jihoon, it was so intense that Jihoon wished he would refocus his gaze to his teacup.

“Yes sir.”

“Weren’t you engaged to that actress?”

“Uh..that didn’t work out. We’ve been apart since early this year.”

Jinwoo didn’t respond immediately. Instead, he continued sipping his tea. Jihoon couldn’t sit still, feeling like he’s under interrogation.

“Jihoon..” This time, Jinwoo’s eyes were set on him. He meant business. “I’m not deliberately acting like this to scare you off. I know you’re a decent man. But this is my daughter we’re talking about. I can see that she’s happy, but I’m telling you, if this is not serious, just break it off right now.”

“Abbunim…I don’t know if –“

He didn’t even get to finish his sentence before Jinwoo in.

“Mina told me that you were at Jieun’s house last time. I was young once and I know exactly what happens when two people are young and in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter