Duality

Sunbaenim!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jihoon’s mentor and trusted friend, Park Jinyoung, and Jieun’s most trusted lyricist and collaborator during the conception of her past albums, Kim Eana, worked together to find a suitable concept for their album. It took two weeks of cat and mouse chaos between Jihoon and Jieun before Jinyoung took it upon himself to mediate. The two were forbidden from talking directly to each other about anything related to the planning of the album because every "brainstorming session" ended being spent on arguing and petty bickering.

When it was finally time for both camps to have a concept meeting, there was a mixture of anticipation and unease. Both Jinyoung and Eana were unsure how the two artists would react with the concept they came up with.

The meeting was held on neutral ground: one of JYP’s conference rooms. Jihoon and Jieun each brought their posse consisting of graphic artists, designers, stylists, producers and lyricists. One wouldn’t think that the conference room was almost packed given the complete silence inside. A needle drop can be heard and the air seemed almost solid, with everyone probably feeling the same intense hatred between the day’s main characters.

Jinyoung broke the ice with a feigned cough, his eyes darting between the scowling Jieun and an indifferent looking Jihoon.

“Good afternoon everyone. After a week of back and forth between me and Eana, we have come up with a suitable concept for this album.”

With a signal from Jinyoung, an assistant flashed the presentation on the screen.

The slide reflected one word: Duality.

“Since both of you initiated this project in hopes of showing a different side to your fans, Eana and I thought of this concept. Jihoon’s boldness and charisma..Jieun’s refreshing and quirky charm..these two opposite attributes that you’ve been known for, why don’t we try create a balance of this in the album?”

Not one soul spoke. But this did not deter Jinyoung.

“Imagine Jieun doing her own version of Rainism or Love Song…and Jihoon reimagining Blueming and Unlucky. We plan to dedicate one part of the album for reimagined songs – Jieun and Jihoon covering handpicked songs from each other’s discography and making it their own.”

Jieun raised a hand, which Jinyoung acknowledged with a nod.

“Will I have absolute freedom on how I want the covers to sound like?” Her voice was calm but there was a pointed feel to the question.

There was silence except for a deep chuckle which came from Jihoon, followed by “In other words, you’re asking if I’d let you murder my songs and kill everyone else who listens to it with your boring, lifeless style?”

His question was met with a cold smile from the lady.

“Like you’ll do mine?” She inserted a scoff, then added, “Please. I can write better songs than you, so calm down.”

Jihoon looked like he was ready to murder someone right then and there, but was obviously restraining himself.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter