Nappeun Namja (나쁜남자)

Sunbaenim!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Junghoon held her hand, not saying anything while she could feel her cheeks burn from the kiss. It was unexpected, but surprisingly not unwelcome.

“Your hands are cold.” He said, trying to catch her eye.

She didn’t know what to say, and just offered a small smile.

“I think we should get back..it’s a little cold out here.”

Still holding her hand, Junghoon led the way towards the house. He paused and turned to Jieun who suddenly stoppped walking. It seemed like Junghoon didn’t even notice it, but there was a person standing close to the gazebo. It was Jihoon.

Jieun locked eyes with him, expecting a warm greeting, but was met with the opposite reaction. He looked like he was struggling to keep his temper in check, but his eyes looked sad. She wracked her brain trying to think of any reason why he’s looking at her that way, but she can’t think of anything else…except…

Did he see Junghoon kissing her? Why would that affect him, though, if indeed he saw that moment? What’s so wrong about kissing someone?

They stood like statues for a moment, but time seemed to stop to Jieun. She wanted to ask him what he was thinking, but she couldn’t bring herself to do it. Before she could even summon the courage to do so, Jihoon gave Junghoon one long look then left, not saying a word.

The party went on like nothing weird happened. People got drunk, Si Eon’s regret for hosting a party grew every hour (like it usually does), and Jieun spent almost the entire night talking to Junghoon and stealing glances at Jihoon to feel him out. But after that strange encounter at the gazebo all she saw was him with Taehee on his arm, all smiles and being Mr. Popular with the guests.

“What I’ve been really waiting for is a song from Jieun and Jihoon.” Hanee, one of Si Eon and Jihoon’s close friends, said aloud. The crowd seemed to approve because the excitement can be heard from everyone.

“It’s okay with me if Jieun wants to do it.” Jihoon said with a smile, but not catching her eye.

She was surprised by his response to the request because she can tell that something was going on with him.

“If it’s for the birthday boy, why not.” Jieun obliged. “Junghoon can play the piano for me..we’ve been working on a new version of Hi Spring Bye, which I was only supposed to unveil in one of my tv performances,” She glanced playfully at Si Eon, flashing a big grin,” but for Si Eon, I can sing it.”

The crowd got fired up when Jieun  stood beside the piano and Junghoon took a seat on the piano stool. The crowd seemed mesmerized just by the opening bars of Hi Spring Bye ver. 2.

Jieun didn’t even know why it’s the first song that came to mind. It’s far from a happy song and it’s definitely not fit for a birthday party, but her subconscious chose it for her. Probably because it’s the song that she’s been slowly working on for a month.  

Taking a deep breath, she closed her eyes and started singing.

[Verse 1]

Your name that was once painful

Doesn't make me regretful anymore

I live as if I have forgotten

You're a coincidence that I want to face again

 

[Verse 2]

A low wind blows

In this faint hint of a season

It's not unfamiliar to me at all

My heart reaches out just in case

 

[Chorus]

Spring, you must have been spring to me

Like the voice that used to call my name warmly

Maybe you're doing well

I guess this is a friendly regard

You're still pretty

Hi, hi

She opened her eyes and tried to smile, trying with all her might to make it seem like this was not an emotional song. But the look on the people watching her tugged at her heart. It seemed like they were feeling exactly what she wanted to convey with the song.

[Verse 3]

On the street we used to walk side by side

There is a flower that blooms out of nowhere

I was in a hurry, pretending not to notice it

But I'm suddenly thinking of it

 

She didn’t mean to, but when she sang verse three, her gaze travelled towards Jihoon who was standing nearby. A sad smile painted her face, unapologetically telling Jihoon in so many words that the song was about a very specific moment last spring. His set jaw and his eyes told her that he understood. They didn’t even need words..and that shows just how connected they are. But his eyes -  his eyes seemed so sad that it pierced her heart. That, and his strange reaction earlier, it made Jieun ask many questions.

Why are you being like this, Jihoon?

 

[Chorus]

Spring, you must have been spring to me

Like a comfortable smile shining with full cheeks glistening

Maybe you're doing well

I guess this is a friendly regard

You're still pretty

Hi, hi

[Bridge]

So that we can meet on a different road everyday

I walk diligently

I'll be waiting like this

[Chorus]

It feels like you're hugging me again

It's what you used to do in the past, without saying a word

In order to get along better

I guess this is a friendly goodbye

I won't not know you

I'll acknowledge you first, like this

Bye

Jieun avoided to look at Jihoon for the remaining parts of song to keep her emotions in check. When the song ended, the room fell quiet, then a roaring applause filled the air, with loud cheers and shouts from the crowd.

“I felt like I was dying, the song seemed to painful..but it was so beautiful!”

“Gosh, you made me cry!”

“You sing like an angel!”

Jieun bowed and smiled warmly at the crowd. She also applauded Junghoon for perfectly playing the piece although they only jammed to it a few times.

“Oppa, how about you, aren’t you going to sing for us?” Hanee asked Jihoon who was silently standing nearby.

He looked hesitant, but Hanee persisted, succeeding in making him come to the piano.

“Arasso…this is also an unreleased song..” Jihoon shot her a tentative look. “Jieun, can we sing it together? You’re the only one who knows this song.”

She couldn’t believe he’s doing this. Her heart was racing and her legs suddenly feel wobbly.

It can’t be THAT song, right? Why is he doing this?

When she sat beside him on the piano stool, he whispered that he’ll play and she can sing the 1st verse; and then they can harmonize in the chorus.

“Yah, I feel like I’m getting behind the scenes, premium content, for free.” Cheered one of Si Eon’s guests that made the crowd laugh in excitement.

Jihoon played the first few notes, as if practicing..then gave her a signal that he’s starting the song for real this time.

She expected to be a ball of nerves and awkwardness, but if she was going to be honest, it felt like she’s home. The first bar told her that he is indeed going to play Aurora – their song, and she won’t even dare explain or even try to decipher all the thoughts that’s flooding her brain at the moment.

[Verse 1]

It's dark, everything about my life looks sad

When the rest of the world is smiling

I'm tired, I want to let go of everything

People around me just turn away from me

[Pre-Chorus]

No matter how hard I try

I couldn't move forward

May the aurora

Jihoon avoided her gaze the entire time since he started singing the song but when it was time for them to harmonize, he finally looked at her. Jieun counldn’t pinpoint it, but there was something incredibly sad about how he looked. He smiled but his eyes seemed like he was dying inside. She had to close her eyes to fight the urge to keep looking at him, as she tried to focus on harmonizing with his voice. 

[Chorus]

Come to me, this won't be the end for me

Even if it's hard to light up this darkness

Oh, I'll hold you at the end of the cliff, aurora

Hold me, everything, everything, everything,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter