The One Where Jihoon Gets Smashed

Sunbaenim!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This was probably the longest birthday party Jieun’s been invited to. Right now, they were gathered around a karaoke machine. Drinks are being served, along with soondae and pajun. Yuna’s house doesn’t seem to run out of food. Dong-Il,who still isn’t over their loss earlier, was singing his heart out, to the dismay of his wife who is apparently not a big fan of his singing.

Jieun’s eyes travelled to Jihoon who was sitting beside her, oblivious to her gaze. He was talking to Youngja and Yuna, telling them about his encounter with Jinju earlier, and they both looked entertained with his cute story. She’s not sure why he even offered for her to stay for another day. Maybe he’s concerned about her staying in another person’s house. Or maybe he’s just fulfilling his end of their bet – he’s being nice to her at least since it’s her last day in Cheongyang. Her thoughts were interrupted by Seojun who handed her a glass of makgeolli, which she graciously accepted. Everyone’s so nice and warm, and it’s a birthday party, so it seemed wrong to decline.

“I’ll just drink this slowly.” She told herself, fully aware she can’t get drunk, because drunk Jieun is unpredictable.

She felt Haneul take a seat beside her.

“Jieun, this is a little embarrassing, but will you sing for us? I’m not sure if you’ll ever comeback to this part of Korea, haha.”

She had no intention of singing whatsoever, scared of getting found out by the other visitors.

“But..I want to keep a low profile, Haneul. Maybe later..when the others leave? I don’t know…”

“Haha..It’s okay, Jieun. Just trying my luck here. It’s not everyday we get a professional singer at Jinju’s birthday.”

When Haneul left, Jihoon nudged her on the side.

“Take it easy on the drinks. You know how you are when you get drunk.” He said sternly.

“Yes, dad. I thought our deal was for you to be nice, not for you to act like a strict father.”

Jihoon made a face and just dismissed her smartass remarks with a shake of his head. Their bickering ended early when Youngja and the other old ladies called out to Jihoon, asking him to sing a song.

“Jihoonah, why don’t you sing us a song? Come on, you sang so well when you last visited us.”

Jieun couldn’t stifle her giggles because Jihoon, like her, wanted to stay away from anything that can be associated to his true identity. However, the halmeoni brigade was persistent, and Youngja dug up his four year absence, which made him feel guilty.

“Arasso, arasso. Just one song…aish..”

He took the mic from Ilwoo who was the last to sing. He entered the code for Solid’s Holding On to the End of the Night. There was scattered chatter from the people who stayed for drinks, but when Jihoon started the 1st verse, it died down.

Jieun could see his side profile when he was singing the words. He was wearing a cap, which slightly obscured his face, but she could tell from his voice that he was feeling the lyrics while he was singing them.

My lips hugged your white shoulders

Although we loved like this, holding onto the end of this night

The last kiss might tremble in longing

To me, who arrived with empty hands, the gift the world gave me

It was you, I know, so I must endure

 

So my heart does not break

You must live happier than anyone else

Forgetting everything

So my love holding onto the end of this night does not become more pathetic than it is now

Don’t cry for me, I am ok.

 

“Top up?” Haneul grinned, holding a bottle of makgeolli over her empty glass.

 

She didn’t even notice that she finished it. Jieun asked herself if she was drinking because the man she loves is heartbroken over someone else; or because she’s leaving this wonderful place soon. She has no answer for that question – one thing’s for sure: she wants another glass.

 

“Hit me!” She said cheerfully.

**

Jihoon went straight to his seat after singing the song. Youngja was cheering when he finished it, but most of the people were dumbfounded because they thought he sang the song so well. Dong-Il patted him on the back, telling him to pursue a career as a singer, which made him grin. The song was sad – he wanted to kick himself for even choosing that one – but at least the people around him was having a good time, and it was infectious.

Just before he could sit down, Jieun stood up and clapped, saying he killed the song. Judging by the pink tinge that is showing on her face, he could

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter