Broken Promises

Somewhere in Between

 

[Jen]

I watched as Taeyang sleeps soundly next to me on my bed. The sound of him breathing mesmerizes my soul once again. I slowly trace the shape of his face, the shape that even when I can't see I will recognise. The smell of him I can smell even from afar takes my heart to a place worth going to. As I continue to trace his beautiful and prefect face, I stopped just below his lips; those lips that are now stained with many lipsticks mark of relationships that never lasted. My head contemplated on whether I should lay my mark on his precious lips;

"Go for it" one side says while the other plays the scene I saw just before I went on my date with Jiyong and once again my heart broke into pieces.

I slowly removed his head from my arm and walked towards my table. I grabbed my camera and took a picture of the beautiful night sky. Then I walked slowly back to Taeyang. I adjusted the camera a little then started taking photos of this wonderful man. The camera clicks here and there but it's not waking him up, I guess the pain killers took the best outta him. I can hardly see his face because the only light seen is from the sky outside my window.

After I was done taking photos I placed my camera back to where it was and headed back to Taeyang. I caressed his face and whispered;

"When will you see that what you have been looking for is right in front of you?"

I slowly leaned forward and targeted his lips. I was inches away from fulfilling something I have dreamed of all my life when his phone started vibrating.

I sighed to myself and picked it up.

"Yoboseyo?" the woman like said on the other side of the phone.

"Yoobin-ah, Taeyang's asleep now. Please call him back in the morning, goodnight!" I replied and hung up. I turned Taeyang's phone on silent and slid back next to him.

"Goodnight my prince" I said and laid my head against his chest.

. . . . 

I woke up the next morning with Taeyang breathing against my neck. Then I saw Jae sneaking into my room, and then she took a photo of me and Taeyang with her Polaroid camera. After she was done she stuck her tongue out at me, I couldn't really move because Taeyang's grip was so tight. I slowly lift his arm off me but the more I move them the more it gets tighter.

"Good morning princess" he greeted and his small eyes slowly opened.

"Morning, get your hands off me please. Mum, Jae's mum and your mum left yesterday to go out and have fun with the girls so it's only you me and Jaellie in the house... I got to cook breakfast for you both so get your hands off me please" I said while still trying to lift his arms up.

"Oh can't we stay in bed, my whole body is sore" he complained.

I didn't know what to say because I didn't want to spark up anything between us anymore; it's too early to fight.

"Your girlfriend's been calling; you should give her a call. She must be worried sick" as much as the word "girlfriend" hurts me; I had to say it; that is what Taeyang wants me to call her.

He let go of me and as I slowly stood up he pulled me back down again...

"WHAT?" I yelled with our faces inches away from each other, the blood from cheeks started to rise.

"No morning kiss today?" he asked confuse.

"No, you have a girlfriend now"

"Yeah but a kiss on the forehead won't hurt" he continued with our faces still inches away from each other.

Our lips almost meeting every time we say a word…

"Just one please" he begged and gave me the puppy eyes.

I was about to kiss his forehead went he looked up and "accidentally" kissed me on the lips.

"Now I'm okay" he said and stood up and headed for my bathroom. I stayed on the same position for minutes, my awaited dream was completed and I wasn't the one who initiated it. As much as I know it was wrong, a whole side of me jumps for joy. I felt my stomach twisted, I don't know out of hunger or what but it did and I felt like I was gonna be sick.

"JEN!" Jaellie yelled from outside the door while waving a piece of her picture and then she started sticking her tongue at me.

"GOTCHA" she said and started running downstairs. All my shut nerves started functioning again and then "ARGHHH!!" I screamed and run downstairs...

=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=00=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0

[Taeyang]

After cleaning myself I head down to the lounge, where I found Jaellie and Jen wrestling for a picture. When I knew they didn't know I was there I quickly ran to them and grabbed the picture. They stopped for awhile then looked at each other; then screamed.

"TAEYANG GIVE IT BACK!" Jen yelled.

"Why? I just want to see it" I said and when I flipped the photo, it was me kissing Jen on the lips. Something inside of me twisted, it wasn't out of disgust that's for sure but I don't know what sort of feeling it was, it was something I have never felt before.

"Why are you so embarrassed?" I asked trying to shake off the feeling.

"If your girlfriend sees that she's gonna think of something bad!" Jen said while snatching the picture off me.

"She's not that narrow minded" I replied and hugged Jen from behind. I heard Jaellie giggled as she walks pass me.

"Shut up Jae it's not like Seungri never does this to you!" I continued and stuck my tongue out at her.

She looked back at me and said "Well he has all the rights to... He's my boyfriend after all"

Then Jen struggled to get my grip off her, when I knew she was suffocating I released her. She ripped the picture and threw it on the floor and headed upstairs. I was shocked by her sudden move so I decided to follow her but as I was about to take my step on the first stair the front door opened and Yoobin jumped on me.

"I'll go see her" Jae said and headed upstairs.

"Hey babe" Yoobin greeted then kissed me on the lips.

"What are you doing here?" I asked as I take her by the hand and lead her to the lounge.

"Well I called last night and Jen picked up so I was assuming you where here so I came by to visit. When are you going back home?" she asked while fiddling with my fingers.

"Home?" I asked confused.

"Yeah with Jiyong?" she said while giving me confuse look as well.

"I don't live with Jiyong. Didn't I mention I live with Jen?"

"No you never did, but now I know" she said and smiled. 
"Hurry and get ready you got to take me shopping" she continued.

"In case you have forgotten I had a fight last night and my body is not in good conditions" I said while pointing at my whole body.

"I'm sorry but you said you would..." she replied as she slowly releases her hand from my hand.

"Yoobin don't be like this, I promised Jen I'd stay home and help her with stuff"

"Oh I see~ she's more important than me. I get it, I never should have come anyway" she stood up and started walking away.

"YOOBIN WAIT!" I yelled. I stood up and ran towards her, I hugged her from behind and she pouted her lips.

"Baby I'm sorry... I'll go with you" I said and she quickly turned around and gave me a kiss on the cheeks.

"I got to tell Jen wait here" she smiled and I headed upstairs.

. . . . 

I was about to twist the door open when I heard sobbing behind the door. I can hear Jae saying "I'm sorry; I never should have taken that picture...”

Jen is crying over a picture?

"Look Jen I really am sorry but you got to let it go...” Let what go? I couldn't understand any of it. I couldn't hear Jen talking either. I knocked at the door and Jae answered.

"Jae, is Jen okay?" I asked out of curiosity.

"Yeah she is I just said something that really hurt her so this is my entire fault. What's up?" sh replied.

"I'll be going out for a few hours... I'll be back before dinner I promise. I'll cook with you and Jen okay?"

"Whatever" I heard Jen say.

"Jen are you sure you're okay?"

"I SAID WHATEVER!" She yelled and I heard Jaellie hushing her down. Okay whatever it was Jae said it hurt Jen too much.

I headed back down and we were off to the mall.

==00==

It was pass dinner... I was 5 hours late.

I arrived at the front porch and found Jaellie fiddling with her phone then my phone rang.

"YAH TAEYANG!" she yelled.

"Jae I'm right here" I said and hung up.

"What the hell do you think you are doing? She's been in the kitchen for like forever now, she hasn't cooked anything so she hasn't eaten...”

"I'm sorry Yoobin got into a fight at the mall and...” before I could finish explaining myself we heard banging inside the house. We looked at each other and headed inside.

That's when we found Jen on the floor picking up the broken pieces of the plates.

"It’s okay Jae, it just slipped off my hands" she said.

Jae ran to her side and helped her pick it up.

She looked up and as soon as she saw me she stood up.

"Sorry I didn't cook dinner, my bestfriend was suppose to come help me but I guess he got too occupied" she said and released a faint smile.

"I'm sorry Best, I didn't mean it. It's just that Yoobin..."

"SAVE IT!" she cut off. 
"I don't want to hear it. I'm going to bed" she continued and started walking off.

"Jen please wait... Let's talk about this"

"Talk about what Taeyang? There's nothing to talk about and the last time I checked you didn't need me to make decisions" were the words she threw at me. I have seen Jen snapped before but this time it's with so much anger.

"Can't we live a day without fighting?" I asked while trying to approach her.

"We never really use to. Until you "grew" up and became a man and I'm still me the same old Jen who never wants to grow."

"What are you talking about? Is there something wrong? Is it something I did?"

"It's the whole of you Taeyang. You don't even care anymore, you say all these things and in the end of the day they are just words. Whatever happened to the one bestfriend I had, the one who always puts me first before anything or anyone else, where has he gone to?"

"He grew up and he has a girlfriend now so he can't always put you first"

I saw her shaking her head and she turned her back on me and headed for the stairs. I ran after her and grabbed her arm and turned her around. I saw tears coming down her eyes; I guess I hurt her once again.

"I'm sorry but I want you to tell me what you think about me and Yoobin... I want to know whether we have your blessings or not and I promise I will change" I said while looking deeply in her eyes.

"You really want to know what I think?" she asked. I nodded my head and allowed her to talk.

"I think my heart is broken... I think after all these years, tonight is the first night it really broke this much. Tonight is the only night I wish I never have the first ever night I realised that I lost my bestfriend... I lost him and someone else found him and reformed him. I lost the heart that I have been trying to protect... And now there's this guy who looks exactly like my bestfriend asking me whether I give my blessings to his relationship, my answer is I DON'T CARE" she said emphasizing the words I don't care...

"Don't say that... you make it sound like you don't care about me anymore"

"Maybe that's what I'm trying to say" she said with a tired voice, the tears still flowing, her lips quivering and her whole body shutting down.

"Look at me I'm still me. I'm still your bestfriend, the one who sleeps next door to you, the one willing to do anything. It's still me." I said.

She looked deep within my eyes and touched my soul then she said.

"All I see is a guy filled with nothing but broken promises!" she shrugged my hands off her and she ran upstairs.

I watched her walk away; I have never seen her like that... The last words she said replayed in my head;

"All I see is a guy filled with nothing but broken promises!"

Is that really all I am to her?