Why Can't it Be?

Somewhere in Between

 

[Taeyang] 

Right after our hectic schedule I called Yoobin straight away.

Jen called during the day asking me to take Yoobin and the rest of the guys to her house for some dinner. She said it was some welcoming party.

After calling Yoobin I gathered all the guys around me.

"Now guys my bestfriend wants to see all of us at her house for tonight. She wants to celebrate her come back" I explained.

"I haven't seen that girl for a long time" Seungri said disrespectfully. I glared at him and he reconstructed his sentence and added the word Noona.

"What do you want us to do?" TOP hyung asked.

"Hyung, please go the mall to buy flowers, balloons and some chocolates. Make sure they are the most expensive one. Daesung and Seungri go back to the dorm and burn the file that has Jen's name into a CD. Jiyong you are coming with me to the jewelry shop" I instructed.

"She's special huh!?" Daesung said. I wasn't sure if he was asking me or he was making a point.

"Okay guys, I'll meet you guys back at the dorm at 7:00. HWAITING!" I said and we all went our separate ways.

Jiyong drove me to the jewelry shop. I wanted to make this night a special one for Jen. I've hurt her so many times that at least for one night I want to make her forget the things I said and done to her. The car was silent; Jiyong and I haven't spoken since last night. He was a bit upset that I was keeping a secret from Jen. I was about to break the silence when his phone started ringing. He plugged his earphones on and in less than 2 seconds he was laughing.

I watched as he continually talks to the person on the other line.

"Oh I'm with him" Jiyong said while shifting his eyes on me. 
"What do you want Jen?" he continued to ask.

Jiyong and Jen had been so close to each other, I was bit jealous of how close they have gotten but I know me and Jen I are starting afresh so that's all that matters.

"YAH, I'll see you real soon. I'm driving right now" 
"Araso, I'll buy you a full bag of it. Yes, we are picking her up later on" he continued.

Minutes passed and he was still saying goodbye, it's like none of them wants to hang up but finally after arguing on who should hang up; Jiyong gave up and hang up. He was just in time because we were at the Jewelry shop already.

"Are you gonna be quick?" he asked intently.

"I don't know" I replied.

"I'll meet you back here in 10 minutes I just got to go and get something for Jen before I forgot, okay?" he said then he was off running.

I took my time waiting for the lady that was supposed to be giving me the pre-made necklace and bracelet that I got done for Jen and I. Jen's necklace was a simple silver love heart necklace with the letters "JT" hanging in between the love hearts. I got a bracelet made for me because I already have a necklace given by Yoobin so I ask them to engrave the letters "JT" on the bracelet.

I was waiting for about 5 minutes and finally the lady came in with two little boxes. She smiled at me and handed both to me. I opened the boxes and saw both beautiful silver glimmering, I chuckled to myself when I suddenly picture Jen's big smile when she receives this gift.

"She's lucky" the lady said.

"No, I'm lucky" I replied and smiled.

"So, how long are both been together for?" she asked.

"Almost all our lives"

"OH CHINCHA? So that means the next time you step into this shop you'll be buying the ring for her right?" she continued.

I looked at her confused and laughed a little when I realised that she got the wrong idea.

"I think you got the wrong idea, Jen and me are best friends" I answered.

Before she could say another word Jiyong came in telling me that we need to head back because we needed to pick up Yoobin before heading back to the dorm. I quickly closed the boxes and bowed my head towards the lady then left the shop.

When I entered the car I saw a gifts wrapped at the backseat.

"What are those?" I asked.

"A little something" he replied and drove off.

A little something? One of the ‘little something was so much bigger than me, couldn't even fit the back of the car but then there was this little something; he made me wonder.

= x = x = x = x = x = x = x = x = x = x = x = x = x = x = x = x = x = x = x

[Jen]

"Jaellie did you check if my SLR is okay?" I asked from inside my bathroom while putting the earrings into my ears.

I felt tired because I cooked all day, I actually missed it that I had so much fun but now I feel all the hard work I've done. When I realised Jaellie wasn't answering, I walked into my bedroom. I saw her lying on top of my bed, sleeping. I felt bad because she didn't go to any of her appointments to stay with me. She did a good job on helping me cook but she burnt her hand while trying to get something out of the oven so now her hands are wrapped with a bandage.

I walked over to her side and put a blanket over her. We still have at least an hour 'till the party starts. All our mums were downstairs decorating the whole house. From the hallway to the backyard, they are going crazy about this whole welcome back party. I'm not saying I don't appreciate it but I didn't expect it to be this big.

I heard my phone vibrating on top of the table, I quickly run to it almost tripping because of my high heels.

"YAH, I ALMOST TRIPPED BECAUSE OF YOU" I yelled before Jiyong could say Hello.

{"I'm coming over now"

"What? Why?"

"I promised to help you remember?"

"Jiyong-shi, did you get what I asked you to get?"

...

"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU FORGOT TO BUY IT! Sorry you can't come to the party now"

"A bit too late now, I'm at your doorstep"

"MWOH?"}

I quickly took my heels off and started running downstairs. I saw my mum opening the door and there he was smiling like an idiot. That smirk of his makes me want to punch his face, but then again he was cute.

"I told you, you can't..." before I could say something he lifts a jar looking like gift wrapped with something colorful.

"LIAR!" I yelled and he just laughed at me.

I quickly opened the gift and there it was my colorful cotton candy stored in a love heart shaped jar. It was so beautiful that I jumped to my feet and hugged Jiyong.

"You're welcome" he said then my mum called us to go at the back. I almost stepped outside without anything on, thank God Jiyong reminded me before I could ever step out.

I grabbed my white chuck Taylor shoes and walked out. I saw Jiyong putting the lights on top of the mini shed we had at the backyard. The mums looked so happy to have him around, I was too.

"PSST. Don't just stand there help us" Taeyang's mum said. I smiled and started heading towards the shed. Before I could reach it, I heard the doorbell rang. I picked up my pace straight away and run inside.

I opened the door and the first person I saw was Seungri and he just walked in like it was his house. He went straight upstairs, and then there was Daesung. He grabbed me and pulled me into a big hug.

"I missed you!" he whispered.

"Alright Daesung get off" a guy with a deep voice said. Daesung stepped aside and I saw the beautiful yet scary face of TOP holding cute little balloons.

"Welcome back Jen" he said and gave me a peck on the cheeks.

"Thanks, what's with the balloons?"

"What's a welcome back party without a balloon?" he said and I raised one eyebrow.

"Boring" he continued and walked in. I was about to close the door when I saw another car arrived in front of the house. It was Taeyang's car; I stood by the door forcing a smile on my face. I wasn't sure if I was gonna be okay seeing them hold hands, if I was gonna be okay watching them smile together, if I was gonna be okay watching Taeyang look out for her. Okay or not I have to contain my emotions, I promised Taeyang to just be there.

"Jen" Jiyong called. 
"COME ON!" he yelled.

"Yoobin and Taeyang are here" I said and pointed outside. In a quick second he was standing right beside me.

Then I got a clear look of both Taeyang and Yoobin’s' face. Damn doesn't she look beautiful, she looks good in those shorts... eww I sound like a lesbian? But it was true she looked good. Taeyang was carrying flowers while Yoobin was carrying a pink bag.

"Hey, you two!" Taeyang greeted.

Yoobin released a pale smile and looked away. I glared at Jiyong and Taeyang asking them to give me some time with Yoobin then Jiyong pulled Taeyang away.

I had to be the better person, if not for myself, for Taeyang at least.

"Hey, I'm Jen. Nice to meet you" I started. She stared at me with confusion in her eyes.

"I've wanted to make a fresh start with everyone" I continued.

"Hi, I'm Yoobin and I'm sorry" she said and pulled me into a hug.

"It’s okay" I said and led her inside the house.

= x = x =

So everything was going great. Everyone just finished dinner, the guys couldn't get enough of the roast chicken.

"You're a really good cook" Yoobin praised. I felt a bit cocky because my best friends' girlfriend is praising me.

"I wish I can cook like you" I chuckled a little inside. How can a girl not know how to cook?

"Jen maybe you can help Yoobin with her cooking?" my mum suggested. I shifted my eyes towards Jiyong to see him trying to hold his laugh.

"Yeah why not, anyway who wants deserts?" I said and stood up. Following me was Jaellie and Jiyong with the rest of the plates.

"Maybe you can help Yoobin with her cooking" Jaellie mimicked my mum.

"Be quiet Jaellie, I think its good she wants to learn because if she doesn't what the heck would Taeyang be eating?" I said.

"Get the cake out of the oven Jiyong, Jaellie get the fruit salads in the fridge" I said while I carry the chocolate fudges into the dining room.

= x = x =

Right after the dinner, we hanged out outside talking and catching up. Yoobin wasn't all bad I mean she talks a lot yet she's shy. She need to get out of her shell soon or else seriously she's never gonna get along with the mums; the mums talk too much.

"Oh sorry for this but I have to get back, being a trainee in Wonder Girls is complicated. I have a curfew" Yoobin said while bowing his head. I saw Taeyang stood right up.

"No stay. I'm fine" Yoobin said.

"Taeyang go with her. Thanks for coming by" I said.

"Wait Jen can I speak with you for 2 minutes?" Taeyang asked. I stood up from where I was sitting and lead the way inside.

"What's up?"

"I just want to say thank you" he started.

"For?"

"Giving Yoobin a chance to be with us today" he continued.

"It's all good, what you got in the bag?"

"Here's for you" he said as he hands me a box. I grabbed it and quickly opened it. I saw a silver necklace, shaped as a heart with "JT" hanging in between it. It was beautiful, I almost cried. For all the years Taeyang and I have been together, he never gave me something this beautiful.

"Tae, what the hell?" I asked confused yet happy.

"Welcome back babes" he said and gave me a peck on the cheeks. 
"Look" he said as he holds his right hand in front of me. I saw a bracelet that was almost similar to my silver necklace; it had "JT" engraved on it, now that made me cry. I jumped on Taeyang causing him to fall behind knocking his back onto the floor.

"Oh sorry" I said as I stood up and pulled him up.

"Let me put it on" he said.

I hand him my necklace and turned around. He put the necklace around me while I hold my hair up. Then there it was the skip that hasn't happened for a very long time, my heart jumped.

"Babe I really have to go" Yoobin said as soon as he Taeyang finished locking the necklace into my neck.

I kissed Taeyang goodbye and hugged Yoobin. I can't believe what I missed out on.

= x = x = x = x = x = x = x = x = x = x = x = x = x = x = x = x = x = x = x

[Jiyong]

I sat along with the others at the backyard, it's been 10 minutes since Jen walked into the house with Taeyang and Yoobin followed not long ago. What's taking them so long?

"Jiyong we got to" TOP said.

"I'm gonna stay for awhile, I won't be long" I said.

The boys all said their goodbyes and then we all headed in the house. Jen, Taeyang and Yoobin were nowhere to be found. When we all walked outside Jen was sitting by the swing.

She quickly stood up when the guys started saying goodbye.

"Bye" she said while waving goodbye.

When everyone was gone she sat back down the swing. The mums and Jaellie walked inside, I sat next to Jen while she fiddles around with a necklace she had on.

"That looks nice" I praised.

"It does huh? Taeyang gave it to me before, it's beautiful. I really love it" she replied.

"How come you're still here?" she asked.

"I promise your mum I'd help out cleaning and stuff" I answered.

"Wait here" she said.

She run inside the house and ran back out with the cotton candy jar I bought for her.

"YUM" she said.

"You know you had so many sweets already"

"Yeah and you didn't? You couldn't take your hands off my cake" she joked.

"Very funny. Give me some" I said as I steal the jar away from her.

This reminded me of the very first day I saw her, dang wasn't she dazzling.

= x Flashback x = {Flashback from Chapter 5 – Jiyong's Perspective.}

“Taeyang was right, you are beautiful” I said as I hand her the flowers. I never thought I would see a goddess right before my eyes. This girl is so amazing, how can Taeyang not fall in love with her?

After we left the house I took her to a restaurant at the harbor but she looked like she wasn't up for anything. I tried to keep myself quiet because I didn't want to stir up anything between us.

"Are you sure you will be okay?" I asked as I stare at her.

"Yeah. But can I ask one question?" she said.

"How long have I known about Taeyang and Yoobin?" I answered and she nodded her head.

"They have been together for quite awhile now and Taeyang wanted to tell you earlier but then again he wanted to surprise you."

"OH, EXCUSE ME!" I yelled and run over to the guy. I grabbed two bags of cotton candy. Then I ran back to her smiling.

"Whenever I am sad, cotton candy is the way to go" I said and handed her a bag. Its true sweets do calm my endorphins down. I think especially when I am upset chocolate is the way to go.

"Thanks" she said and started pigging out on the cotton candy.

= x End of Flashback x =

"Close your eyes" I said while putting my hands over her eyes.

"WHY?" she asked scared.

"I'll be back. No cheating" I said and let’s go of her eyes.

I walked over to my car and took out the gift I had bought for her. She told me once when we were talking on the phone that she has always wanted something like this. So I took my time to get it for her, it was hard but I found it.

I stood in front of her with the gift next to her.

"Open them"

She slowly opened her eyes, looked at me for two seconds then screamed.

"OH MY GOSH IS THIS WHAT I THINK IT IS?" she yelled again.

"I don't know only one way to find out" I said then she was off ripping the wrapping of the oversize thing.

"ITS THAT TEDDY BEAR I'VE WANTED!" she yelled again almost losing her voice. She hugs the teddy bear and then hugged me.

"When and where did you get it?"

"I got it today. Where? I am not telling you" I said.

I had the teddy bear made for her; it was hard because there were a lot of materials to be made. I mean she did want it to be fluffy enough so she could sleep on top of it. The teddy bear had her name tattooed at the back of it; at the front was a pink love heart that says "FOREVER". The whole bear was white, besides of course the colour of her name and the forever thing. It was hard for me to convince them to finish it in 2 weeks, they said it wasn't possible but I paid double and helped them out so it would be finished. I was planning to give it to Jen when she came back, but it wasn't the good time so yeah.

"Jiyong you are the best" she said and landed a kiss on my cheeks.

"I know right" I replied and she glared jokingly.

We sat back down on the swing; she was playing happily with the teddy bear. Punching it here and there then she would crack up laughing.

'Jen, do you know how beautiful you look right now? Do you know how beautiful your laugh sounds right now? And do you know that I'm happy whenever I am with you?

You came along at the wrong place at the wrong time, or was it me? 
Tell me Jen, why can't it be? Why can't we be lovers, only friends? Why can't it be the two of us?'