Love's Way

LOVE: OVERDUE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

PLAYLIST: “Love’s Way,” SHINee

 

DOHEE

 

Time has always been rather slow for me. I ‘ve been so used to counting every second of my every day, hoping and wishing that it’ll be over soon and it’s going to be the next day—and repeat. You know, just getting through it and surviving, that was pretty much it for me. But this trip flew by so fast, I barely noticed it ending. Today is our last day here in Gapyeong and we still have a couple of hours to spend until we have to go.

Right now, we are still in bed. We are waiting for the rain to stop. It’s supposed to stop in the next hour or so. From what I know, we’re going to a museum for our last destination—Baekhyun didn’t specify what kind of museum, he said it’s a surprise. I am not a big fan of museums just because I’m not a creative and intellectual person—I would not understand it as much as I’d think Baekhyun would but I’d still love to go though; I think it’s a romantic way to conclude this whole trip. “What a gloomy day, isn’t it?” My boyfriend’s husky voice intrudes my thoughts. The two of us lay sideways, facing each other.

This is one of those days where you just want to lie down the whole day, stare at the window and watch every droplets of rain hit the glass. It’s relaxing and it’s the best time to nap all day. Or at least for me, it is.

I flick my tongue and sigh. “We weren’t even able to try the swimming pools here.”

Baekhyun smiles as he leans closer. “We can still try if you want, they have the indoor ones. You want to go? It’s still pretty humid despite the rain, it’d still be fun. We can get soaked and just relax for a while.” His suggestion tempts me but at the same time, I am not way too relaxed to get up. Rain really affects my brain in a lot of ways. Sometimes, it even gives me migraine. I adjust my body to lie on my back again and I stare at the ceiling. “I don’t know. Doesn’t the rain make you kind of lazy sometimes? I mean, in a good way.” I grin at him.

He moves closer to me, resting his arm over my body and nuzzling on the crook of my neck. “Yeah, I get that. This feels good too.” He whispers making me smile more as I turn to face him better. Our lips naturally meet for a chaste kiss. “Baekhyun?” I call as I lay sideways again and throw my arm over his waist. He makes a sound as our eyes meet. “Would you ever want to have your own salon someday?” I ask a question that I have been wondering about for a long time.

I mean, he’s such a talented hairstylist and I feel like if he someday opens up his own salon, he’ll be even more successful.

He shrugs. “Not really.” I lift my eyebrows in acknowledgment at the surprising answer. I did not expect that. I’ve always seen him to be the very ambitious type of artist that would want to own his own place someday. “I don’t think I’m a good leader. I’m happy with the way I work right now, I could see myself doing the same for a very long time. I mean, being a director stylist in Elite is already a lot of work for me, I take care of a lot more things in the salon than what you, clients, think. Taewoo and I basically run the place along with Bomi noona so I don’t see much different from having my own.” I nod at his thorough explanation.

I guess I never thought of it that way since I’ve only ever known him as someone who does hair. Of course, his position in the salon is just right under the owner hence it makes sense if he has a lot more responsibilities than others.

I nod slowly. “Like, what else do you usually do?” I ask out of curiosity. He casually runs his fingers through my hair. “Hmm, I take care of all the products we carry, I am the one who makes business with the brands and partnerships with conventions and other hair-related events that Elite is a part of. What else … I do a lot of classes too, I’m the one they usually send to hair schools to teach as a guest sometimes, and of course, that includes staff workshops inside our own salon during our days off and for me to do that, I also need to partner with the sponsor brands who will provide tools for the workshops.” I listen to his story with a smile. I love feeling the passion in his tone every time he talks about his job.

I could tell how much he enjoys it. It makes me happy.

He hums softly as he continues to think. “I haven’t gone this year yet but they usually send me overseas to attend hair events and fashion shows if Bomi noona’s not available, which is frequent since she has kids and it’s harder for her to make time. Taewoo doesn’t like going overseas much so I do it more than he does. I’ve competed in hair shows a couple times as Elite’s representative and we’ve won more than once, fortunately.” He continues to tell me and my mouth drops in amazement. Why did I never know about all the stuff he does? Jeez, he’s that busy?

Before I could ask for more details about his job, my phone that’s on the bedside table starts ringing. I reach for my phone immediately. Oh no, it’s my mom. What is it this time? She knows I’m on a trip with Baekhyun. I swear to god if she starts with me, I’ll hung up on her. “Oh, Eomma.” I answer with a frown as I meet eyes with my boyfriend whose expression automatically stiffens.

It hurts me that … he is now officially afraid of my parents.

Even if he doesn’t tell me, I know. I know firsthand what it feels like to be terrified of them.

‘Dohee, you’re still coming with me at your cousin’s baby shower this Sunday, right? You promised me last month you were coming with me. Have you bought a gift?’ My mother’s intimidating voice welcomes my ear. Wow, I’ve been having so much fun here with Baekhyun that I almost forgot what it feels like to be angry the moment you hear someone’s voice. “I know, I will still go I promise. I still haven’t bought a gift but I will as soon as I get back. By the way, Eomma, I’m having a great time here, yesterday we were at—”

‘I think you should bring your boyfriend along with us.’ My mom cuts me off.

Wait, what? I frown, more so in bewilderment. I appreciate that she actually mentions first about my boyfriend but … on a baby shower? What the heck? “Bu—but why? Why do I need to do that? It’s just my cousin and aren’t the guests mostly women? That’s what Hyesoo wants, right? Like a girly baby shower. You said Appa’s not even coming because of that. So why do I need to do that?” I whine immediately. Baekhyun looks at me as if he wants me to tell him what it is about. I simply press a finger against my lips to hush him down and I gesture him to wait. ‘I know but your aunts are going to give me a hard time again, telling me all sorts of stuff about me still not having a grandchild nor a son-in-law. You need to show them you have a boyfriend so they won’t bother us.’ She presses. ‘Yah, don’t you want them to see that you actually have a chance to have a family someday? I’m sure they’re going to grill you more because you’re turning thirty-three in a couple months. You know how much they’ve been bothering you about being single.’

Ugh, seriously? Now she suddenly acknowledges Baekhyun as my boyfriend so that she can use us for her own peace of mind? I know she has a sour relationship with her sisters but that’s not my problem, neither is Baekhyun’s. Why does he have to be involved in this?

‘Come on, Dohee. Do you want your aunt to make fun of you again especially now because even her youngest is pregnant and she’s only twenty-four? She won’t only bother me, but you too. Having your boyfriend around will take away the attention from us both. I am sick and tired of our relatives questioning me about my spinster daughter as if it’s my fault that you’re so slow in finding a husband.’ My mother continues to persuade. I honestly don’t even care about that. Also, Hyesoo is very young, I know. She got knocked up and the father of the child isn’t even going to be present in their lives. They keep saying the father is just a scumbag who ran away but I have a strong feeling she just really doesn’t know who the father is. My cousin, Hyesoo, is a … I don’t even want to say it because it’s such a wrong term but, okay fine—a . Am I supposed to be jealous over that? Definitely not. “Yeah and then all the attention goes to him instead? I don’t want to do that, that’s mean. He doesn’t even know anyone there.” I continue to argue back.

At this point, Baekhyun is already staring at me weirdly like he’s about to have a heart attack.

Oh god, this stressing me out.

‘Whatever, I’m not asking permission. I am telling you to bring him along and that is final. If you want me to give him a chance, you will do that for me. No buts. Okay, bye.’ She ends the call first, not giving me any more chances to fight back. I drop the phone on the mattress before burying my face against the pillow underneath me. “What … is it about? Did she ask about me? I think I overheard boyfriend; did she mention me at all?” I feel my boyfriend’s warm embrace as he leans close to my ear. I can hear the hint of nervousness in his tone which worries me even more.

Oh, crap. Now, I have to lie again. I hate lying.

I force a smile when I meet his anxious eyes. “She was just ask—asking if we’re having a great time.” I immediately look away before he catches the panic in my eyes. “Shim Dohee, your mouth twitches a lot when you’re lying. I ignored it the last time but not anymore. So, just tell me the truth now. Also, I heard your answers clearly, it didn’t seem like she was asking about the trip at all.” He catches my lie thoroughly. These are the times where I wish I don’t have a boyfriend who knows me through and through like Baekhyun does. There’s pros and cons to it, you know? Like this,

I don’t even get to lie to him anymore. Ugh.

I press my knuckles against his chest as I try to push him out of panic. He chuckles in response before grabbing both my hands to place them on his cheeks. “Come on, spill it, love. I’m listening. You won’t hurt my feelings, I promise.” He assures me but it just makes me groan even more. “It’s not even that, I just—okay, fine.” I sigh as I glare at him. I know that he will agree to this so it pisses me off even more. I can barely deal with my relatives alone, what more when Baekhyun’s there with me? They’re not as nasty as my parents are but—yes, there’s a BUT.

But they’re extremely nosy. They’re loud and they’re … they’re just annoying. I know how private and quiet my boyfriend is, I don’t want him to have to deal with these people just for my sake … especially for my mother’s sake? My mother who doesn’t even like him. Ugh, she’s annoying too. As if she even means it when she said she’s going to give him a chance if we do this. She has lied about many things just to get what she wants; I don’t trust her. “Okay, well … my cousin’s having a baby shower on Sunday and … my mom suggested you come with me and … introduce you.” I finally end up admitting with a big frown on my face. I don’t even try to hide my concern from him.

But instead, my boyfriend’s face lit up.

Seriously? He’s not sick of trying to deal with my family?

I was expecting him to decline right away especi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter