Harabuji

Surrogate

 

Throughout her life, Ryeowook had never stepped into a mansion and earlier, when Kyuhyun drove past the huge iron rod gate, her jaw dropped as the mansion came into view. It was huge and the last time she saw such a mansion was in Boys Over Flowers kdrama!

"Your grandpa stays here all by himself?" Ryeowook asked softly after a well-mannered guy in a uniform, opened the front door. He greeted Kyuhyun with respect and bowed at Ryeowook too. Ryeowook had bowed back and smile at the guy. 

Kyuhyun chuckled "No, my father's younger sister and her family stayed here as well, and my aunt's husband, uncle Shim, is my grandfather's personal assistant.  My parents will stay here whenever they fly home, and my sister and I have our rooms too. I will come over on monthends or on any special celebrations or when I need harabuji's signatures" Kyuhyun smile and led her towards a passageway after they passed by a huge living room. She reckon her entire home could fit into this living room! 

"Are we meeting him now? Can I go to a washroom first?" Ryeowook whispered. 

Kyuhyun smile, understanding her nervousness "You look fine Ryeong, and very beautiful! But anyway, come let me show you where the washroom is... " and Kyuhyun gently pull her along and made 2 turns before they reached the washroom.  "I'll wait in the living room? From the washroom, you just turn left and then right".  Kyuhyun let go of her hand as she nodded and smile and pushed open the wasroom door. 

Even the washroom was huge and clean, and smells nice, just like a hotel! After she did her business, she washed her face and put on powder and sprayed some perfume. She was glad that she brought along her small cosmetic pouch and the mini Lancome Pleasure perfume was a gift from the café's customer who was grateful because she had found her ring. She put on a light lipstick, and though she still looked plain, she looked presentable. She left the washroom but then, she couldn't recall which direction. 

"Aissshhh what did Kyukyu said just now??" she looked confused and walked straight and bumped into somebody who just came down from a staircase. "Ohh I'm sorry..." she quickly apologised. 

"Whoahhh, who are you...?" the guy said with an amused face. He was wondering how come there was a young and pretty girl around. 

"I'm so sorry sir, Kyu... I mean... Mr Cho brought me here to see his grandfather" 

"Ohh Kyu is here?" Changmin looked surprised. "Apologies for my manners, I'm Changmin, Kyuhyun's cousin" 

"Hi, I'm Ryeowook"

"Where is Kyu..?" 

"Errr.. He's in the living room, but I lost my way after coming out from the washroom..." 

"Ahhh I see. Come, I'll show you.." Changmin smile and led the way. 

"Wow, are all KyuKyu's family good looking and well mannered?" Ryeowook said to herself. 

They met Kyuhyun halfway. He must have guessed that Ryeowook lost her way!

"Heyyyy Kyu!!! You are here to see harabuji?" 

"Heyyy Chwang!! You found my girl... " 

Changmin whistle "and harabuji wanted to see her?" 

"It's a long story, Chwang. Tell you another day, okay" 

Changmin showed his okay sign, and waved at him. He bowed at Ryeowook and waved too, and left. 

"I'm sorry KyuKyu, I lost my way" 

Kyuhyun laughed "It's okay. And you looked fresher" and he gave her a quick peck on her lips. He hold her hand and gently pulled her along towards his grandfather's room. 

"Annyeong, harabuji" Kyuhyun bowed respectively, "This is Kim Ryeowook, the girl I've been telling you about. And Ryeong, this is my grandfather" 

Ryeowook bowed respectfully, and said politely "Annyeong, Mr Cho" 

Old Mr Cho smile and nodded his head "Have a seat, my dear", then when Kyuhyun sat down as well, he turned to Kyuhyun "Kyu, you can go out. I want to talk to her alone..." old Mr Cho said. 

Kyuhyun thought that he heard wrongly "What? You asked me to go out?" and he used his thumb to point at the door. 

"Yes" old Mr Cho answered him. 

"Why? You are scaring her, harabuji..." 

"Are you afraid of me, my dear?" old Mr Cho looked with amused at Ryeowook. 

Somehow, Ryeowook didn't feel afraid, though nervous. Even if old Mr Cho objected to her agreeing to be the surrogate mother or her relationship with Kyuhyun, she would defend herself. She wasn't doing the surrogacy for any purpose other than for her father's medication. For her relationship with Kyuhyun, she honestly like him and didn't doubt his sincererity. 

She looked up at old Mr Cho "No, Mr Cho, I'm not afraid, and I can be here alone".  She turned and smile at Kyuhyun "I'll be alright KyuKyu, don't worry too much". 

Kyuhyun held her clasp hands and squeezed them. "I'll wait outside the door okay" he reached over to kiss her forehead, and got up. He turned to his grandfather "Don't make her cry..." 

Old Mr Cho smile and leaned back and waited until the door was closed. Then he turned his attention to Ryeowook. 

Kyuhyun felt uneasy while waiting outside the door. "Why did harabuji wanted to talk to Ryeong alone?" he kept asking himself over and over again . He didn't want his grandfather to harass Ryeowook and looked down on her. It has been 20 minutes and they are still talking! Should he just barged in? But he knew that Ryeowook has a strong character and has been surviving alone in her harsh situation and he was confident that Ryeowook could handle his grandfather. 

After half an hour when Kyuhyun has made up his mind to barge in, Ryeowook opened the door and asked him to come in. Kyuhyun felt like fainting of dying to know what did harabuji talked to Ryeowook about. He walked in and bowed slightly at his grandfather and sat down. 

"When is the IVF insertion?" old Mr Cho asked Kyuhyun. 

"The schedule is this coming Wednesday and the hospital will contact me on Monday for final confirmation when they got the results from their lab" 

"Okay great" and old Mr Cho turned and smile at Ryeowook. "Nice talking to you my dear and you can visit me anytime" and then he turned to Kyuhyun "You two can go... ".

"What did you talk about with Ryeong?" Kyuhyun asked him. 

"That's between me and her. You two can go now.. " his harabuji said with amused voice.

Kyuhyun felt disappointed but he knew his grandfather would not say anything if he didn't want to. He took Ryeowook's hand and got up. 

"We make our move first, harabuji" Ryeowook bowed at old Mr Cho and smile, and left the room with Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun declined tea when one of the maid asked him, and politely told her that they were leaving. He only said "Send my regards to komo" he said, referring to his aunt. Kyuhyun sounded upset. 

"Yes master" the old lady maid bowed at Kyuhyun.

Ryeowook bowed too and smile at her. She followed Kyuhyun out the front door and was wondering why Kyuhyun was upset.

On the way to the pharmacy, Kyuhyun was quiet. Ryeowook felt uneasy and guessed that Kyuhyun was upset that his grandfather didn't want to say anything about the talk. "Are you angry that your grandfather didn't want to tell you what we talk about?"

"Yes..."

"There wasn't really anything. He just wanted to get to know me better and he was really nice to me. He asked me to call him harabuji and not Mr Cho. And he asked me about my father, and also told me why he had wanted you to give him a great grandchild..."

"Was that all..?"

"Hmmm... he proposed to send my father to a full day care centre so that there are proper therapist and medical staff to check on him. I told him frankly that I couldn't afford the cost and I am willing to take care of him myself. But I do admit that it is much cleaner and good for his wellbeing if he is in a full day care centre"

By now,  they had reached the pharmacy and Kyuhyun had parked the car. Kyuhyun turned to her "Ryeong, I'm not trying to side with or agree fully to what my grandfather had proposed, and I'm not trying to look down on your care for your father, but there are some truth in it.  It is better for him to stay in the care centre rather than in a closed up house".

"I didn't want to be a burden to you or your family"

"I understand you, and I told you that you and your father are not a burden to me" Kyuhyun said reaching for her hand and caressed it "Can you at least consider the offer? I can look around for suitable care centres and we can visit first before you make any decision".

Ryeowook smile and felt so touch that there are still kind people in this World. "Okay I will. Thank you".

"I don't deserve a kiss?"

Ryeowook chuckled shyly. She unbuckled both their seatbelts and pull him and held his face for a kiss. Kyuhyun smile happily and kissed her back. Now that he has started kissing her, he just wanted more and more. He wanted to kiss her forever.

They bought whatever Ryeowook needed for her father and Kyuhyun paid for it. He sent her home and helped her to carry the stuff in. Ryeowook cooked dinner and they ate together, and Kyuhyun even used her bathroom to take a bath. Though his own bathroom was 5 times bigger, he didn't mind because the whole bathroom smell of Ryeowook. He just loved it, smelling her scent everywhere he turned.

On Monday, the hospital called with good news that the fertilisation was successful and they can proceed with the insertion. Kyuhyun thanked them and texted Ryeowook. It would be Wednesday afternoon at 2pm, so Ryeowook has to apply for afternoon leave. 

True to what her lady boss had said previously, she would cut Ryeowook's pay for that half day that Ryeowook applied. Ryeowook has no choice but to accept it as she still have to go through the insertion.

The night before Wednesday, Ryeowook couldn't help but kept asking herself whether it was worth giving up her ity for the surrogacy procedure. Then when she thought of her father, she tild herself, yes it was worth it, else her father would die because she couldn't afford the medical expenses.

With that in mind, she told herself to just go through with it, for everybody's happiness. For her father, for Kyuhyun and for harabuji. And for herself too, now that she has her Kyukyu...