That friend, Hyunshik

Surrogate

 

Ryeowook packed whatever she wanted to bring to visit her father, into her new tote bag, bought and given by her mother-in-law.  It was a mixed feeling actually, she still loved her old tote bag but she felt bad if she didn't use the new tote bag, as it was a gift.

Kyuhyun went to work today after they enjoyed their blissful 2 weeks of marriage life. Kyuhyun had helped her to move everything else from her old house into his apartment, and she had finally completed her unpacking and re-arranging, and some of her father's things were sent for donation while some items have to be thrown away.

This morning, Kyuhyun had objected strongly when she told him that she didn't mind visiting her father alone since Kyuhyun has a lunch meeting, but relented when Ryeowook promised that she would take care of herself, and would go by cab.

Ryeowook texted her husband before she left home. And immediately Kyuhyun called her "Ryeong, please take care. Walk slowly, don't rush, have your lunch and come back home by cab too".

Ryeowook smile at her over-caring husband and said "Yes Kyu-Kyu, I will"

"Send my regards to abunim. I love you, Ryeong. Text me later when you reach there okay"

"Okay" and she saw a push notification popped up "Ohh, my cab is here. Bye Kyu-Kyu"

"Bye, don't rush!" she heard Kyuhyun's voice and smile, and off her phone. 

At the care centre, Ryeowook was surprised that her father has a visitor. As she approached his bed, the visitor turned around, and smile at her "Hi Wook!" 

"Hyunshik?" Ryeowook said with surprised "How did you know that my father is here?" 

"Have a sit" Hyunshik got up and gestured her to sit. "I just happened to deliver a box of donated winter clothings from Uniqlo, and then I saw a nurse pushing in your father from a stroll outside, so I followed her" Hyunshik smile. "Why did you decide to send him here?" 

"Ahhhh it's... it's a long story. My husband suggested him to be here for proper care, proper medication and daily physiotherapy".

"Ohhh yeah, I heard that you are married from our ex-colleague. Hmmmm, but you didn't invite any of us" Hyunshik said sadly. 

"I'm sorry Shik. It was just within family, so we didn't invite our circle of friends".

Hyunshik looked down. He liked Ryeowook but he knew Ryeowook only treated him as a friend. They talked for a while about Mr Kim's health, and then Hyunshik asked her "Want to grab lunch at the cafeteria? I ate here before and the food is quite nice" 

Ryeowook was hesitant. Kyuhyun wouldn't like it if he knew that she lunched with Hyunshik. 

Sensing her hesitance, Hyunshik said "It's okay if you prefers not to. I'm still getting my lunch here, anyway" he smile. 

Ryeowook smile "Ermmm, why not. Let's go then" Ryeowook said and stood up to kiss her father's forehead. She waved at her father and walked off with Hyunshik.

When they reached the corner  before the lobby, suddenly somebody knocked into her and she nearly fall sideway-backwards but luckily Hyunshik managed to grab her to steady her. She got a shock and the paramedic apologised repeatedly to her and bowed at her and steadied her as well, and then rushed off again towards an ambulance.

"You okay?" Hyunshik asked with concerned, seeing that she held her tummy.

"Yeah, just a slight cramp. Thanks, Shik" Ryeowook said, praying hard that her cramp would go away and that her baby was okay.

Once they reached the cafeteria, Hyunshik said "Sit here, I order food for you" Hyunshik gestured her to sit once they found a table. 

Ryeowook held her tummy to ease the pain. "What's wrong baby, are you stress? Please be okay. Mummy just want to eat lunch and mummy will go home and rest" Ryeowook told her baby silently.

Hyunshik came back with food and decline any payment from Ryeowook. He bought her a warm drink and asked her again if she was okay because she looked pale. 

"Hyunshik, actually I'm pregnant. Maybe I got a shock just now when the paramedic bumped into me, that's why the cramp started. I'll just eat up and go home to rest"

"Wow, congratulations! Your husband must be so happy" he told her, and was genuinely happy for her. 

They catch up with each other's news, but after eating halfway, Ryeowook's cramp was getting worst. 

"I think you better go to the hospital. I'll send you?" Hyunshik said with concerned.

"I'll call my husband..." Ryeowook said, taking out her phone and called Kyuhyun. Her call went to his maibox after a few rings, so she knew that he was still in a meeting.  She cringed and bend her body forward due to the pain. 

"Common, let's go. I send you to the hospital. I drove my company's van and it's just outside" Hyunshik helped her up. He helped her to the passenger seat at his van too. 

Ryeowook told him the hospital name and she leaned back to ease her pain. She took out her phone and called her gynae to tell her about her pain who asked her to come to the hospital immediately. Then she called Kyuhyun again, but it still went to his mailbox. Once they arrived the hospital, Hyunshik quickly alerted a nurse at the A&E, and Ryeowook was rushed in with a stretcher. 

While Hyunshik did the registration for Ryeowook, her phone rang and Hyunshik took out her phone from the tote bag that he was holding. It showed the caller as "Cho Kyuhyun-hubby". He wasn't sure whether it was wise for him to pick up but her hubby needs to know, so he slide her phone to answer it.

"Ryeong, sorry I left my phone on my desk... "

"Errr, Mr Cho? Park Hyunshik here, Ryeowook's friend" Hyunshik said carefully over the phone.

Kyuhyun was surprised. Why is this Hyunshik guy answering his wife's phone? "Ermmm, why is her phone with you? Where is she? Is she okay?" he asked Hyunshik worriedly. 

Hyunshik told him what happened and where Ryeowook is right now. "Mr Cho, the gynae is with her.  She was in so much pain just now. Are you able to come here? I'll wait here until you arrive" 

Kyuhyun became panic when he heard that Ryeowook was in pain. Ohmygod, why did he left his phone on his desk! He kept scolding himself. "I'll be right over. Thank you so much Park Hyunshik-ssi" and he grabbed his laptop, shoved it into his backpack, grabbed the charger, grabbed his car key and rushed out. He called his secretary on his way down to the carpark to tell her that he got some emergency and to get Siwon to cover him for office matters. 

Along the way, his mind kept replaying what Hyunshik told him. "Did Ryeong knew that this Hyunshik guy will be there, that's why she insisted to visit her father today??" Kyuhyun asked himself. "Can't be, I trust her, and this Hyunshik guy said that he was at the care centre delivering something when he saw abunim. I think he's speaking the truth" Kyuhyun said to himself. He parked his car and rushed in. 

He saw a guy standing outside the room that Hyunshik had told him about, and he could still recognised that this guy was really that Hyunshik guy. 

Hyunshik turned and looked at him, and then offered his hand "Mr Cho? Hi, I'm Hyunshik" 

"Hi, thank you for helping Ryeong. I have a lunch meeting so I couldn't visit abunim with her today" Kyuhyun said, while accepting Hyunshik's hand. 

"The gynae will come again in an hour's time. Wook is resting after a jab, and is sleeping. I'm sorry, I need to go back to work. Here's her bag" Hyunshik handed over the tote bag.  Though he would love to stay to see Ryeowook again, but he shouldn't. Ryeowook needed her husband, not him, and he could tell that her husband cares and loves her a lot. He was glad and happy that she found a good husband. 

"Thank you, thank you so much" Kyuhyun bowed sincerely after accepting the tote bag, and bowed again when Hyunshik left. 

Kyuhyun rushed into the ward, and his heart dropped when he saw how pale his wife's face was. 

"Ohhh Ryeong..." he said sadly, and gently lifted her hand to kiss it. He soothed her hair and kissed her forehead, and soothed her tummy too. He could hear his baby's heartbeat at the monitor and he thanked God that his wife and baby were okay. 

His phone buzzed and he took it out from his pants pocket. It was Siwon calling "Siwon, sorry I have to rush off just now. Ryeong is in a hospital after a bad cramp. Yeah she seemed to be okay now, later I will talk to the gynae. Can you cover me for the meeting with the developer? Yes yes, thanks Siwon. Bye" Kyuhyun breathe a sigh of relieved, and put his backpack on the sofa set. 

"Kyu...." 

Kyuhyun heard Ryeowook's faint voice and dashed back to the bed, and held her hand "Ryeong...? How are you feeling?"

"Is our baby okay?" Ryeowook asked tiredly. 

"Yes, he's okay. Listen to his heartbeat. He probably angry that I didn't go with mummy" 

Ryeowook wanted to sit up, but Kyuhyun stopped her "No, lie down and rest. Dr Jang will be here soon. 

"I just want to sit up" she said, so Kyuhyun pressed a button to raise the bed, and put another pillow behind her head.  "How did you know that I'm here..." Ryeowook asked. 

"Your boyfriend, Hyunshik, answered my call to your phone, and told me" Kyuhyun said, teasing her. 

"Kyu-Kyu, he's not..." 

Kyuhyun bent down to kiss her "I know, I know, I was just teasing you..." 

 "I saw him next to appa's bed, he said he was there delivering winter clothings from Uniqlo and saw appa, so he followed the nurse. He just wanted to catch up, so I agreed to go to the cafeteria for lunch with him" 

Kyuhyun reached over to soothe her face "Heyy baby, you don't have to explain to me. I'm not jealous, in fact I am very grateful to him for helping you" 

"I didn't want you to have the wrong idea..." 

"Initially I was puzzled because he answered your phone, and a lot of things came to my mind at the same time, but when he told me what happened to you, my mind was in a complete mess. I was worried, felt regret that I left my phone on my desk, guilty because I wasn't there with you, and panic because I was scared that something happened to you and our baby" Kyuhyun said sadly. "So, I won't let you go alone anymore, not after what happen today". 

"It was just an accident. That paramedic guy apologies so many times..." 

"I still won't allow you to go on your own..." 

"Okayyy" Ryeowook looked at her husband apologetically "I'm sorry for being stubborn. I didn't mean to cause problems for anyone. I just wanted to see appa...." she said sadly and her tears started to flow down. 

Kyuhyun moved forward and gently pulled her into his arms "Don't say that. I know you missed your father and wanted to see him everyday. I understand, Ryeong, I truly understand. It's just that you need to think about your condition too. You and baby's safety must come first. If I can't accompany you during lunch time, we can always go after work. Is that okay?" 

She nodded her head and Kyuhyun let her go slowly. He wiped her tears with his thumb and kissed her briefly. How he loves this woman! Her happiness is his happiness and he only want her to be happy.

Dr Jang came later and check Ryeowook's progress and she advised for her to stay for 3 more days for complete bedrest. The shock of the earlier body hit distressed the baby and luckily Ryeowook came to the hospital fast or else she might suffer bleeding which could result in miscarriage.

It has been two weeks since she was discharged from the hospital, and Hyunshik had called her twice to ask about her wellbeing. Kyuhyun had also called him to thank him again, and invited him to come over on Friday night, which was tonight! 

Kyuhyun came back early and had ordered pizza, and helped Ryeowook to cook ramyeon and fried pajeon. Ryeowook took out some kimchi which her mother-in-law had given her when Kyuhyun's parents visited them last weekend with harabuji, after they got to know about her condition. Kyuhyun got scoldings for not letting them know about the hospitalisation but Ryeowook had defended her husband saying that Dr Jang adviced for complete bedrest, so Kyuhyun didn't want any visitors. 

Hyunshik came bringing boxes of soya bean milk and fruits. He was happy that Ryeowook looked better and congratulated them again. 

They were sipping tea at Kyuhyun's apartment balcony, and Ryeowook tried the soya bean milk. "Hmmm, this is nice! I never tried this before!" 

"Maeil brand of soy milk is fortified with calcium and vitamin D, and very nutritious, and it's good for you" Hyunshik smile warmly. He told them that he was also doing sidelines selling drinks and food online for Home Plus. 

"Ryeong, if you like it, we should order in bulk" Kyuhyun said smiling. 

Hyunshik noted that Kyuhyun called his wife 'Ryeong'. He knew only Ryeowook's parents called her that and Ryeowook didn't allow anybody else to call her with that nickname. But since she allowed Kyuhyun, meaning she really loves him a lot. Somehow, he felt sad but happy at the same time. He needed to move on and start treating her as a good friend. He didn't harbour any ill feeling, just happy that she was happy. 

"So, can I take orders now?" Hyunshik asked teasingly, causing both Kyuhyun and Ryeowook to laugh. 

"Yes please! Two cartons!" Kyuhyun said happily. 

They laughed and talk more about Ryeowook's father and an hour later, Hyunshik thanked them for inviting him over, and bid them goodbye. "I'll arrange to deliver the drinks next week, okay?" he said, stepping into the lift. 

"Thanks Shik! Bye!!" Ryeowook waved at the closing lift door. 

Kyuhyun was happy seeing his wife cheerful face. At times, he felt left out when the two of them actively talking as though there were synergy between them. Was he still jealous of Hyunshik? He asked himself. Can't be, he knew that Hyunshik was now sincerely accepting Ryeowook as a friend and no more than that. And he trusted Ryeowook. 

He must make Ryeowook happy and have that cheerful face when talking to him. Yes, he must learn to do that!