Romantic night

Surrogate

 

Ryeowook watered her plants that she had brought over from her old home. She took photos and smile happily at them. Her roses had bloom and her other plants were growing well. They must have like Kyuhyun's home too, just like her! 

She felt thankful that her life did a 360 degrees turn eversince she met Kyuhyun. She still recalled that fateful day a year ago, when she happened to see the advertisement in a newspaper for a surrogate mother, and called him.  And she still kept that newspaper! She wondered if she didn't get married but proceed with the surrogacy, how would her life be, working at 2 places with a baby in her tummy. 

Thinking about work, she felt restless today since she wasn't doing anything. So she thought of baking cookies. But then again, her egg mixer was kept in Kyuhyun's kitchen cabinet, in the top compartment. She couldn't reach it as she was short, and if she climbed up, she scared that she would fall.

She sighed. She needed to bring down the egg mixer and she just need to be careful, right? After thinking for minute, she took a chair and carefully climbed up.

"Ryeong! What are you doing?!!!" suddenly Kyuhyun's voice was at the door.

Ryeowook got a shock "Kyu-Kyu, you scared me!" she held her chest to calm herself down.

"I scared you?? You scared me!! Why are you climbing up a chair??" Kyuhyun quickly put down his backpack and a paperbag, and hastily walked towards her and carried her down. "It's dangerous for you to climb up. What if you fall or black out..." he said, after feeling almost fainted when he reached home and the first thing he saw was his pregnant wife standing on a chair!!

"I was careful. I just want to bring down my egg mixer...."

"Why?.." he asked and turned towards his cabinet and reached up and bring down her egg mixer. The perks of being tall!!

"I want to bake cookies..." Ryeowook took her egg mixer from Kyuhyun's hand and thanked him. She put it on the cabinet where she could reach it easily. "But..., why are you back so early?"

Kyuhyun put the chair away and turned towards her. He thanked God that nothing happened to her, and pulled her into his arms, breathing out slowly "I'm glad that you are okay and I'm sorry, I didn't mean to shout at you. I was worried because you didn't pick up my call, so I rushed over"

"Ohhh you call?" Ryeowook looked around for her phone. Then she remembered "I think I left it at the balcony!!" and she wanted to go there but Kyuhyun stopped her.

"I'll get it for you later. I was in my client office nearby, so I thought of picking you up and bring you to my office for a while, then we visit abunim, and we go for dinner after that... " Kyuhyun soothed her hair with his fingers. "You haven't cook right?" 

"Not yet..." 

"Great... ! 

"Okay, I'll do the baking tomorrow then" she smile at him. "Give me 15 minutes? I'll change and get ready" she said excitedly. 

Kyuhyun smile and nodded "Ok, don't rush..." and he let her go. After she went to their bedroom, he walked to his balcony to look for her phone. He found it near the pot of roses. His balcony looked very pretty now with Ryeowook's plants and 2 lazy chairs and a small coffee table that they bought at a weekend market. Previously, his balcony was bare, so now it was more homely and refreshing. 

"Ok, I'm ready" Ryeowook appeared at the balcony. She wore a pretty maternity cotton white top with a long khaki maternity pants and she looked so adorable. Simple yet adorable, and very pretty. 

Kyuhyun smile, reached for her waist and pull her gently. He kissed her and said "You look so pretty...". He slowly let her go and took her hand "... okay shall we go?", and Ryeowook smilingly nodded and walked with him. He passed her phone to her other hand. 

On their way to his office, Ryeowook innocently asked "Is your office huge?"

"Hmmm.. big yes, but not that huge. Our building in Seoul is only 24 stories" Kyuhyun smile at her. 

Ryeowook mouth "Wow" to herself, coz Kyuhyun's family has their own building!

Kyuhyun led his wife into a VIP lift after he has parked his car, all along holding her hand. He pressed the 24th floor button and pulled her closer "Welcome to our office" and kissed her lovingly. She looked so cute, always with that bewildered expression. "Harabuji has an office too, next to mine, but he only comes in around the time when we have board meeting". 

Ryeowook was in awe once they stepped out from the lift. The floor was heavily carpeted and it was quiet. Kyuhyun told her this floor have conference room and bigger meeting rooms, and also his office and harabuji's office. Human Resource department occupies the other side of the meeting rooms. The rest of the floors were other departments and they have staff cafeteria and recreation floor too which span the whole of 13th floor.

"My room is just ahead" Kyuhyun pointed to his room. 

 "Wow..." Ryeowook looked at it with awe. She saw the word CEO, and there was a desk outside Kyuhyun's room, but nobody was there. "Your secretary is not here?" 

"Ohhh, Tiffany? Her daughter is sick, so she's on urgent leave"

"Can I sit there then, while I wait for you?" Ryeowook asked, gesturing to Tiffany's seat. 

"You can sit in my room, Ryeong..."

"I can help to answer calls" she laughed cutely. 

Kyuhyun laughed, and pinched her nose "Come to my room first, you can see the view outside..." 

Kyuhyun's room was big and Ryeowook could even see Han River from here. She walked to his table and walked around it when she noticed there were 3 photo frames on his table. Expecting to see photos of his family and harabuji, Ryeowook closed when she saw the photos. 

On one frame, was their wedding photo, on another frame was their picture sitting close together when they took the ride after Kyuhyun first kissed her, and the third photo was her alone. Kyuhyun must have snap a photo of her walking towards his car, smiling and waving at him after her work at the cafe. 

"They are all our photos, you and me!" Ryeowook said with tears, and Kyuhyun pulled her into his arms. 

"Ryeong, you are my family now. And when we have our kids, I will add more photo frames..." he smile and started wiping her tears with his thumbs and then kissed her. 

"Heyy Kyu, I saw your car, so you must be in..... Ohhh oopss I'm sorry!!!" Siwon opened the door and walked in but stopped abruptly when he saw Kyuhyun kissing his wife. 

Kyuhyun laughed "Heyy Siwon, it's okay" and he unwillingly let Ryeowook go who was now feeling embarrassed and looked down. "Siwon, you met Ryeong at our wedding, and Ryeong, you remember Siwon? He was the only one I invited from our company"

"Yes yes, hi Siwon-ssi" Ryeowook bowed slightly, and said to Kyuhyun "I sit at your secretary's desk".

"Ohhh Mrs Cho, you can sit here, don't worry, I just need to update Kyuhyun something and it will be a fast one ..."

"It's okay, really. You two go ahead and discuss" Ryeowook smile and bowed again, took her tote bag and stepped out.

Siwon looked apologetically at his boss "I'm so sorry, I should have knock first..."

"It's okay, don't worry about it..." Kyuhyun chuckled. "Okay, update me..." Kyuhyun sat down and gestured Siwon to sit, and they started business talk.

The phone on Tiffany's desk rang, which jolted Ryeowook, who was munching a biscuit while looking at the desk calendar. It was full of schedules for Kyuhyun, and she wondered how on earth did Kyuhyun managed to spare some of his times to be with her. 

She was contemplating not to answer the phone, but picked it up nevertheless. "Good evening, Mr Cho's office"

"Hi, I'm calling to confirm Mr Cho Kyuhyun's dinner reservation for two at Bicena at 7.30pm this evening?" the caller asked.

"Dinner reservation?" Ryeowook asked herself. "He has a dinner reservation? But we are going for dinner.... ohhhh does it mean that this reservation is for the dinner with me? But why choose such an expensive place? Bicena sounds expensive.." Ryeowook kept asking herself.

"Errr hello...?" the caller on the other line asked.

"Yes yes, I'm sorry, I was checking Mr Cho's calendar. Yes, the reservation is correct. He will be there. Thank you for calling to confirm"

"Alright, thank you very much. We will send a text to confirm reservation too to his personal mobile phone. Have a good day!" and the line was disconnected. 

Ryeowook put down the phone, still in a daze. She picked up her handphone and search for Bicena. "Oh wow...!" she closed . 

What she found out was this. Located in Lotte World Tower, which is the tallest skyscraper in Seoul, Bicena sits on the 81st floor, with a stunning view from nearly 360m off the ground. "Wow..." 

The phone rang again! She looked at it and decided to picked it up again "Good evening, Mr Cho's office" expecting the same woman on the other line. But it wasn't. 

"You are not Tiffany.... she's not around?" 

And Ryeowook smile because she recognised his voice! "Harabuji? How are you?" 

The line was silent for a minute. "Wook? Is this my dear Wook?" 

"Yes harabuji!" 

"What are you doing there? And how are you my dear?" 

"Ahh, Kyu-Kyu has a meeting earlier which was near to our home, so he dropped by to fetch me. We will visit appa later, then we'll go out for dinner" Ryeowook explained, and continued "And I'm fine harabuji. Baby has been behaving well" Ryeowook said, and continued again "Ohh and Ms Tiffany is on urgent leave so I sit at her desk to wait for Kyu-Kyu" 

"I see. Kyuhyun is still working? And he left you to sit alone outside?" 

"He is having a discussion with Siwon-ssi. I was the one who didn't want to sit inside, harabuji" 

"You are a good wife my dear, always on his side!" harabuji sounded sarcastic more than praising. But Ryeowook knew he was just jokingly scolding her.

Ryeowook laughed "Harabuji, we will visit you this coming Saturday okay? I've already plan to bake cookies tomorrow!"

"Ohmygod really? You'll bake for me again?!! I love your cookies, my dear! You know the last round, I finished that whole tub within two days! " he laughed. It was the truth, he loved Ryeowook's cookies! He tasted a lot of varieties, even expensive ones, but Ryeowook's cookies were the best to him!

Ryeowook laughed and turned towards Kyuhyun's door when she heard that it was opened. She mouthed "harabuji" to Kyuhyun and pointed to the phone receiver. 

Siwon bowed at them and waved and left. Kyuhyun waved back while walking towards his wife. He whispered "I'll put him on speaker" and he pressed the speaker button. Harabuji was saying that he wanted 2 tubs just for himself. 

Kyuhyun sat on the seat's arm-rest, with one arm over his wife's shoulder "Harabuji, how could you? If she gave you 2 tubs, I won't have any!" Kyuhyun said, with a serious tone. Ryeowook pinched him, making him burst into laughter. 

"You see your husband! He don't even care what his grandfather likes"

"Ohhho harabuji, who said I didn't care? I wouldn't let Ryeong bake for you if I didn't care" 

"I don't care. Wook said she and baby are both feeling okay so she can bake. And I want 2 tubs. And I'll get them this Saturday. That's final!" 

"Okay okay, whatever the Chairman said...." Kyuhyun feigned giving up. In reality, he was already happy and thankful that harabuji likes and adored his wife eversince he introduced Ryeowook to him, and liking her home bake cookies just added cream to the crop! Harabuji never praise any of his family members' cooking, let alone cookies or cake, but praising Ryeowook's cookies means that it really suits his taste buds. Kyuhyun felt proud of his wife!!

"Harabuji, we'll see you on Saturday, okay!" Ryeowook said, as they need to visit her father soon.

"Send my regards to your father. I will drop by to see him one of these days" harabuji said, and continued "Goodbye both of you, and Kyuhyun, please take care of my dear Wook" 

Kyuhyun chuckled when he heard his grandfather addressed his wife as his dear Wook. "Yes, harabuji, I'll care of my dear Ryeong!" he purposely emphasised on 'my dear Ryeong" because Ryeowook is his! "Alright harabuji, we'll see you on Saturday. Goodbye!!" and he off the phone. 

"Kyu-Kyu, he hasn't off the phone" 

"He will go on and on of we didn't hang up!" Kyuhyun stood up, and he helped his wife up. "Ryeong, do you want to go to the ladies first? You can go ahead, it's the door on your left" 

"Oh okay" she smile at him and stepped towards the ladies. 

Kyuhyun took his backpack and the paperbag, he turned off his room light, and closed his door. Ryeowook came out looking fresh and pretty, with a tinch of lipstick. Now that her pregnancy has past the 1st trimester, he could proudly see her baby bump. 

They visited Ryeowook's father and stayed there for a while. Mr Kim always loved listening to his daughter's chattering about everything, and after days of physiotherapy, he could move his head and moved his fingers. He would nod and smile and even laughed. Before they left, Ryeowook kissed him on his forehead and waved goodbye. 

"Ryeong, wait, put this on, it's cold" Kyuhyun took the paperbag from his car boot, and pull out a lovely, dark brown velvet jacket, and it compliment her attire.

"Wow, this is for me? Thank you! It's so lovely!!" Ryeowook said happily, feeling the material with her fingers, after Kyuhyun helped her to put it on. So it was this jacket in that paperbag all along! 

Kyuhyun smile happily and pecked her lips "Let's go for our dinner" and opened the passenger door for her.

"Where are we going?" Ryeowook asked after Kyuhyun has started driving, eventhough she already knew the venue.

"Somewhere nice..." Kyuhyun glance at her and smile. He reached for her hand and squeezed it. "Are you hungry?"

"Yeah, a little, but I did munch a biscuit just now" she said, unconsciously touching her baby bump. 

"We need to buy more maternity clothings, baby is growing fast"

Ryeowook smile "I have enough for now, maybe later after the 2nd trimester. Sometimes I feel so surreal that I'm pregnant, and I'm still trying to get used to it"

"You better get used to it, because we will have 2nd and 3rd kids" Kyuhyun laughed.

"Kyu-Kyu..."

"I'm serious. I want you to be pregnant the natural way for our 2nd baby and... "

"Okay okay we'll talk about this after our baby is born. Don't stress me..." 

Kyuhyun laughed because his wife is so cute. He turned into Lotte World Tower underground carpark and got a parking slot. "We are here!" 

Ryeowook held Kyuhyun's arm tightly as the lift elevate to the 81st floor. As the lift door opened, her jaw dropped as they stepped into Bicena. 

She could already view the city buildings and lights as they walked towards their table. The floor-to-ceiling windows and mahogany wood create a warm and inviting ambience. 

Kyuhyun helped her to sit, and kissed her forehead before he sat opposite her. He got a call, and he quickly answered it, and told Ryeowook "I'll be right back" and he walked towards the entrance. 

"Wow, Bicena is really high class and nice! I could never dream that I could step into such a place!" and she took out her phone and took photos of the view outside.

Kyuhyun walked back to their table with something behind his back. As he approached her, he smile and brought the bouquet of roses to his front and gave it to her "For you, my lovely Ryeong. Happy anniversary!" 

Ryeowook looked at him with surprise and accepted the flowers! She was so touched that Kyuhyun remembered!! A year ago, she called him about his advertisement for surrogate mother, and she agreed to meet him! The rest were history! 

She started crying "Kyu-Kyu, you remembered..." 

The other diners were happily looking and smiling at them because Kyuhyun was so romantic, giving his girl a beautiful bouquet of roses, making the girl cried and now Kyuhyun sat next to her and hugged her. 

"Of course I remembered, Ryeong. You came into my life on this date and I didn't realised that I have fallen in love with you since the first time we met. And I only realised it much later. Whether the surrogate pregnancy went through or not, I told myself that I will never let you go because you are the one in my heart".

Ryeowook sobbed in Kyuhyun's arm. She was deeply touched that Kyuhyun truly and sincerely loved her and not because of the surrogacy. She thanked God that she met a loving man who genuinely cared so much for her.

Kyuhyun raised her teary face "Happy Anniversary, Ryeong. One year of knowing you had changed my life entirely. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for coming into my life, and I really really love you" and he wiped her tears and kissed her.