Rest in peace

Surrogate

 

"Heyyy Ryeong, what's wrong?" Kyuhyun gently pulled her to him. He sensed that she had moved away making him automatically woke up.

"Kyu Kyu, can we go home? I sense that something is wrong with appa. Did harabuji inform you anything?" Ryeowook looked worried.

"You dreamt of abunim?" Kyuhyun asked her with concern, while soothing her hair.

"Yes, he was standing, smiling and waving at me, then he walked away. I called out to him to wait for me but he walked away. I don't feel good, like there's something happened to him..." Ryeowook said, and started sobbing. 

Kyuhyun became worried because she's tearing. He wipe her tears "Ryeong, calm down. I'll call harabuji now okay" he says, taking a tissue and wiping her tears. He looked at his watch, harabuji should be up already. He put on his bath robe and walked out to look for his phone at their hotel room's coffee table. 

He called his grandfather and harabuji told him what had happened to the care centre. "But don't alarm your wife. We are trying very hard to save him. He's on life support in ICU but still surviving" harabuji told him. 

"She dreamt of him harabuji" and he told his grandfather about her dream. "I think it's a sign that he is leaving us. I really don't know how to break the news to her if that happens". 

"I think you two better come back. Though Wook herself cannot get near to her father because of the virus, at least she is here" harabuji told him. 

"Ok harabuji, we will drive back. See you later" Kyuhyun told him, and off his phone. He walked back to the bedroom. 

Ryeowook was throwing up in the bathroom when Kyuhyun stepped in, so he rushed over to her "Ryeong!" and helped her to clean up. "Let's bathe. We eat something then we can drive back". 

Ryeowook nodded "Suddenly I felt nausea, so I rushed in. Yes maybe because I haven't eat anything" she said while washing her face. "What did harabuji said?" 

Kyuhyun told her everything but keep telling her to stay calm. Surprisingly to him, his wife was really calm and continued with her bathing. Deep down in Ryeowook's heart, somehow she knew that her father is leaving her, so she just hope that she has a chance to see him one last time. 

After their meal, they checked out and started driving back. Ryeowook was quiet throughout the journey, which making Kyuhyun worried. He knew she would be heartbroken if her father passed away, so he just hope that they would reach Seoul on time before his father-in-law left them to the other World. 

"Ryeong, are you okay? Take a nap, I'll wake you up when we reach a rest stop..."

"I'm okay" she smile at him. It was a sad smile but at least she was calm. Kyuhyun reached over and squeezed her hand. 

After the rest stop where Ryeowook used the restroom and they packed back some buns, Kyuhyun drove all the way to Seoul. They stopped by their apartment and then set off to the hospital. 

With Kyuhyun by her side and always holding her, Ryeowook watched her father from outside the ICU, with tearful eyes and calling her father quietly. Her father looked calm and peaceful, as though he was happy and waiting to see her one last time. 

"Ryeong, tell your heart that you will let him go. He can be united with your mum in heaven and happily watch over you from above with her...." Kyuhyun hugged her when she started sobbing, and quietly talked to her to let him go. 

Sobbing, she hugged Kyuhyun tighter and nodded her head. She knew she has to let her father go so that he could be happy with her mother, but the reality would be she would lost him forever. 

Her surrogate decision was all for him. To help her with all his medical expenses. To take care of him, to give him a better medical care. She was thankful that God has a better plan for her, by giving her Kyuhyun and his wonderful family, and was forever thankful that Kyuhyun's family took care of her father and gave him a proper care. 

Ryeowook took a deep breath, and looked up at Kyuhyun and then at harabuji, who both nodded their heads, and she turned to look at her father on his bed, and closed her eyes and said "Abuji, I let you go to be with omma. Have a peaceful journey and remember that I always love you. Tell omma that I love her too. Goodbye appa" she said in her heart sincerely. 

Mr Kim's heartbeat became a thin one line, and Ryeowook collapsed into Kyuhyun's arms. Everything became blur to her. She saw images of doctors and nurses running into the ICU, harabuji and Changmin ushered Kyuhyun to carry her out. Kyuhyun's aunt asked him to put her down on the lobby sofa and soon, she felt everything blackout. 

Ryeowook fainted, making Kyuhyun extremely worried. His aunt assured him that she would look after Ryeowook "I'll take care of her, Kyu. You go and help harabuji". 

"Thank you, komo" kyuhyun soothed his wife face and got up to help harabuji. The doctor certified his father-in-law's death but didn't allow them to go near him as they didn't put on full protective suit. Mr Kim's body have to be specially wrapped before putting into a coffin to bring him to the funeral parlour. 

Kyuhyun carried Ryeowook to his car after he has taken care of his father-in-law's death registration and harabuji had arranged for the funeral parlour. The body would be transferred to the parlour in 2 hours time. 

"Kyu, later you bring her to the funeral parlour but make sure that she is okay and eats something. She can change to the mourning attire at the parlour itself. See you there, okay" harabuji told Kyuhyun outside his car. 

Kyuhyun nodded and thanked his grandfather. He brought his wife back to his apartment so that she could rest comfortably first. He texted Hyunshik to tell him about Mr Kim's death, and texted Siwon as well.  Siwon called him to get the details of the funeral parlour and Kyuhyun talked a while with him on office matters. 

Ryeowook woke up and looked around confusedly. She was in their apartment, and she tried recalling what happened. She sighed sadly and called out for her husband "Kyu ....". She heard Kyuhyun's voice talking on the phone, so she slowly got up but sat down again as she felt dizzy. She felt her baby moved and realised that she was hungry. 

She got up slowly again and walked towards their bedroom door. Kyuhyun turned around when he realised that Ryeowook was at the door and ended his call. He quickly walked towards her and pulled her into his arms "Ryeong.... how are you feeling...?" 

"Appa's body....?" she started asking him. 

"Harabuji has arranged for him to be at a funeral parlour. We'll go there later, okay. I have informed Hyunshik too" Kyuhyun told her and led her to sit at their dining chair. "Eat some buns first and I'll get you warm water". 

Ryeowook sat down and soothed her tummy. Baby must be sad too that his grandpa had passed away.

Kyuhyun soothed her tummy too kissed her forehead. He quickly took the buns that they bought at the rest stop, and put them on a plate. He took 2 glasses of warm water and sat next to her.

"Kyu Kyu, you eat too" she told him and pushed the buns slightly to him. He looked tired but he was still so caring towards her, which she was so grateful. "Thank you for driving back and your advice to let appa go. You are my tower of strength and now that appa has passed on, I only has you in my life right now..." she looked down feeling sad again. 

Kyuhyun pulled her into his arms and she leaned her head on his chest. Kyuhyun held her lovingly "Always remember that you have me, and soon you have baby too in your life. And you have harabuji, and my parents and my whole family. You are not alone okay"

"I know and I'm so grateful for that. I know that appa is happy knowing that I'm in safe hands and have a loving husband. I can see that in his eyes whenever I visited him..." 

Kyuhyun kissed her head and held her tightly again. He felt sad that his father-in-law has passed on, and he knew that his wife was holding back all her tears. He really didn't mind if she wanted to cry right now because he rather she let it all out and cry in his arms. 

But Ryeowook chose to hold back her tears. Slowly, she moved out from his embrace and took a bun and resume eating. Kyuhyun let her be and prayed to God silently to give his wife some strength to face her father's funeral later.  He knew she would definitely broke down again once she saw his coffin and his photo. 

Harabuji had arranged for a 3-days funeral including today and paid for everything. He had arranged for Kyuhyun's parents and his sister to fly back too, and had informed their close relatives that Kyuhyun's father-in-law has passed on. 

True to what Kyuhyun had predicted, Ryeowook broke down the minute she saw his photo and his coffin. She collapsed in his arms and couldn't find strength to stand. She sobbed heavily in his arms and kyuhyun had to calm her down and whispered in her ears that her father would be sad watching her crying her heart out. 

"And our baby will be sad too, you know, because mummy keep crying. Be strong okay, Ryeong? Let abunim's journey be smooth and peaceful" Kyuhyun said calmly to her. 

He lead her into the changing room and helped her to change into the mourning hanbok. He himself put on the mourning black suit and black tie. He combed her hair and tied it with white ribbon that his aunt had prepared and then wipe her tears and kissed her forehead. 

"Thank you" Ryeowook said sincerely.

Kyuhyun soothed her face and slowly led her out to the main Hall again. As a daughter, she needed to receive condolences words and wishes from guests who came to pay their last respects. 

Ryeowook was grateful that Kyuhyun never left her side. He even got her to sit on a chair to receive their guests' condolences instead of standing and bowing. Their guests understood her pregnancy condition too and stopped her from standing and bowing repeatedly. 

Ryeowook was relatively calm, until she saw Hyunshik. That was when she started crying again when Hyunshik bent down to hug her.  Hyunshik tried to calm her down but she continued crying, making him felt lost for words and looked up to seek Kyuhyun's help. 

"Ryeong..." Kyuhyun hugged her and soothed her hair to calm her down. She clinged to him and sobbed, and Kyuhyun signalled to Hyushik to carry-on to pay his last respect, and carried Ryeowook up and walked back to the changing room so that she could lie down. 

He cradled her and she eventually fall asleep in his arms. Hyunshik came into the room and helped Kyuhyun to get a pillow and helped him to put Ryeowook down carefully. 

"Thank you, Hyunshik" Kyuhyun said softy. 

"I'm sorry if I made her cry...." Hyunshik said softly too. 

Kyuhyun shook his head, saying that it wasn't his fault. He told Hyunshik that it has been a long day for her and that she had fainted earlier. 

"The bacterial infection was bad and affecting a lot of the old folks in that care centre. Luckily your harabuji moved Wook's father out, or else he might passed away earlier..." Hyunshik told Kyuhyun. 

"And abunim hold on until Ryeong came. As though he knew that we were driving back to see him. My constant worry when I was driving back was her condition, how she would take it if he passed on..."

"You are her tower of strength, hyung. She will be okay with you by her side..." Hyunshik patted his shoulder to give him encouragement. 

"Thank you, Shik" Kyuhyun smile. "Hey, get something to eat. Harabuji catered for food too" 

"Okay, and I'll get something for you too. Be right back" and Hyunshik got up and left before Kyuhyun could tell him that he don't have to take food for him. 

When Hyunshik came back with some fried noodles, that was when Kyuhyun realised that he was indeed hungry! He thanked Hyunshik and both of them ate and talked about the funeral. 

Changmin joined them and brought drinks for the three of them. Kyuhyun introduced Hyunshik to Changmin and they talked like old friends. 

Changmin's mother brought a plate of noodles for Ryeowook and a blanket, and asked Kyuhyun to put the noodles aside and get Ryeowook to eat when she woke up. Kyuhyun thanked her and covered Ryeowook with blanket and adjusted her head so that she was more comfortable. 

Hyunshik smile seeing how loving Kyuhyun was towards Ryeowook. He was grateful and happy that Kyuhyun took good care of his friend and never left her side in times like this. 

Ryeowook was still sleeping soundly. She dreamt of her father again and that he was happily waving at her. She waved back and told him to walk carefully and that she loves him. 

He waved again and said that he aways loved her and asked her to take good care of herself and her baby.  She nodded and waved happily at her father as he walked further away. 

Unconsciously, her tears rolled down from her eyes though she was still sleeping. "Goodbye appa..." she said, watching him go further and further away from her.