Little feet

Surrogate

 

Ryeowook was crying and kept banging at the side of the white trailer. "No.......!!!!!!" 

"Wook.....? Wake up.... What's wrong....? Wook....?" Mrs Cho shook her daughter-in-law gently. She was alarmed when Ryeowook cried and kept saying "No...." in her sleep. 

It took a while before Ryeowook was conscious. She felt like she was thrown out of the trailer and somebody shook her to ask her if she was okay. She was scared to open her eyes, which if she did, she wouldn't know where she was. 

"Wook dear, wake up, are you having a bad dream..?" Mrs Cho gently shook her daughter-in-law again. 

Ryeowook was asking herself "Ommonim?? She sounds like ommonim's voice" Ryeowook wondered in her mind. Slowly she opened her eyes, and she felt strange that she wasn't in that white room anymore. When she saw that it was really her mother-in-law, she cried again and extended her hands to her mother-in-law "Ommonim...." 

Mrs Cho bent down and hugged her "What's wrong my dear? You have just given birth, so don't get upset with whatever you dream okay" Mrs Cho calmly adviced her. 

She didn't want her dear daughter-in-law to have any post-natal depression, and she must remember to tell Kyuhyun to always keep his wife company. 

Ryeowook calmed down and Mrs Cho grabbed a tissue to wipe her tears. Ryeowook thanked her and looked around, looking for Kyuhyun. 

"Come, let me adjust your bed. Are you feeling okay?" Mrs Cho said, while adjusted the bed and put another pillow behind Ryeowook so that she was comfortable. 

"Ommonim, where is Kyu? And my baby...?" 

"Kyuhyun went to do the baby's birth registration. He asked me to stay with you and he should be back soon. The rest went to the cafetaria to eat something since you were still sleeping just now" she  told her, smiling kindly. "You gave us a very cute and healthy baby boy, Wook. He is so adorable!! He is in the nursery now and the nurse will bring him in later. You can feed him okay?" 

Ryeowook gave her a small smile and nodded. But in her dream, after she had feed her baby, he was taken away. Would it happened as per her dream? 

The room door opened and Kyuhyun walked in. Her husband!! He was still here, so her dream was totally just a dream!!!

"Heyyy Ryeong!! You are awake!!!" he smile happily and stepped towards the bed, put down some papers, and hugged her. "How are you feeling?" he asked her and noticed that her eyes were red "What happened?" he held her face with both hands and looked at his mother too. 

"Wook must be having a bad dream. She kept saying "No... " and cried, until I woke her up" Mrs Cho explained to her son. 

Kyuhyun immediately understood what she must have dreamt about. It must be due to her fear that her baby was taken away from her after she has given birth. He sighed to himself. How should he eliminate this fear once and for all? 

Fresh tears dripped down from Ryeowook eyes. He pulled her into a hug again "Ryeong, I'm here and our son is here, and nobody will take him away from you. I had tear away the previous agreement the minute I proposed to you. You are my lawful wife and the mother of our son" and he slowly let her go, and wipe her tears. "You have my promise that I will not take him away from you, okay?" 

He took the birth cert and continued gently "See, this is his birth registration" he showed it to her "His mother's name is you" and his name, is the one that we both had chosen "Cho Hyun-Jung". 

Ryeowook cried again, seeing her son's birth registration cert. "Thank you, Kyu" 

Kyuhyun kissed her forehead. "Ryeong, we all love you and our family are so happy for us for the birth of our son, especially harabuji. He couldn't wait to talk to you but omma managed to convince him to go to the cafeteria to eat something and not to disturb you" he looked up at his mother who nodded and chuckled. 

"Yes, Wook, harabuji was so cute just now! He kept asking whether you are awake and kept asking Kyu to wake you up!" Mrs Cho laughed. 

Ryeowook broke into giggles, and felt better. Harabuji and the rest really loved her! So, all is well! Nobody would take her son away from her, not now, not 14 days later! 

Kyuhyun passed the birth registration cert to his mother for her to take a look. "Omma, the name for our son is approved by harabuji. He said it means 'a great person, smart, and love by all' . And harabuji is very happy with this name" Kyuhyun grinned and felt proud that he could make his harabuji happy. And he had fulfil what his harabuji required him to do, which was to give him a great grandson!!! 

"It's really a good name, Kyu. No wonder you told me 2 months back that you found a good name but subject to harabuji's approval!!" Mrs Cho laughed. 

Ryeowook felt like going to the washroom, so she told Kyuhyun about it and tried to move down but her womb was still painful. 

"Wait wait, I carry you" Kyuhyun immediately stood up. 

"She will need the big pad, it's at the tray rack" Mrs Cho told his son. "I'll help her, you just need to carry her to the toilet" she told her son. 

"It's okay Omma, I can help her" Kyuhyun told his mother. 

"It's very bloody and need to change her pad. Childbirth is different from other sickness, the blood flow is like water...." 

"Yes ommonim, you are right, I feel the blood kept pouring out..." 

"You will need use double pads. Come Kyuhyun, carry her to the toilet. I take over from there" 

"Okayyy" he said, carrying his wife off the bed. She was so much lighter now that their baby was out! 

"Kyu, go out, don't look" Ryeowook told him and gently push him away, after he had put her down next to the toilet bowl. 

"I really don't mind, Ryeong. I want to help you too..." 

"No... it's very bloody. I need to clean the blood..." 

"Kyu, just go out. It's messy because it's the first time we clean it after childbirth, and I need to teach Wook what to do. You can help her tonight once Wook know what she needs to do. I will call you once we have clean the blood okay?" Mrs Cho gestured for him to go. 

Kyuhyun soothed his wife hair and slowly left the washroom. It was true that throughout their marriage life, he had never seen his wife having periods or bleeding, because she was already pregnant when they got married due to the surrogacy. 

He wanted to go through this journey together, so he didn't mind to see her after-childbirth blood. But he knew his mother would know better, so yes, he would help his wife tonight onwards. 

His heart quenched when he heard Ryeowook groaning painfully that it was painful even to sit down to pee, due to the stitches. 

It took like forever before his mother called him to bring a disposal plastic to throw the used pads and all the bloodied tissues. 

His heart dropped when he saw how pale his wife was, after all the cleaning up. He quickly tied the disposal plastic and threw it in the trash bin, and helped his wife to wash her hands. He thanked his mom, and then carried his wife back to the bed. 

Just then, the whole family started walking in, and everybody was happy that Ryeowook was awake and fine. Kyuhyun helped her to leaned against the bed comfortably and covered her legs with blanket. 

"How are you my dear? Did my grandson here did well in the delivery ward?" harabuji asked Ryeowook. 

"Harabuji.... I was with her all the way..." Kyuhyun retorted. 

"Tsk.. I didn't ask you..." harabuji shoo-ed him off and everybody laughed. Changmin patted Kyuhyun's back to consoled him. 

"He did very well, harabuji. He kept asking me to breath and push and I was amazed that he didn't faint because I was squeezing his hand very tightly...." Ryeowook grinned at Kyuhyun, who now showed them all the red marks on his hand! 

The rest laughed and harabuji asked Ahra to ask the nurse whether they could bring in the baby. 

The baby was wheeled in about 10 minutes later, and everybody was coo-ing at his cuteness when Kyuhyun kissed him and then passed him to his wife. 

"Everyone, this is Cho Hyun-Jung. I've done his birth registration already!!!" Kyuhyun announced and sat next to his wife. Changmin started taking photos and everyone followed and Kyuhyun passed his phone to his noona for her to take their photos too. 

"Kyu, I will send the photos to our company and to Siwon, to officially announced that you have become a father, okay?" harabuji told Kyuhyun, who thanked him. 

The ward door opened and a hospital staff brought food for Ryeowook for the evening meal. 

Changmin's mother turned to her sister-in-law and nephew, and said "Hanna and Kyu, we bought you food, go and have your dinner first, we will take care of Wook and the baby". 

"Yes, both of you, go and eat first" Mr Cho told them. Kyuhyun kissed his wife forehead and stepped towards the sofa area with his mother. 

Harabuji took over to carry his great grandson from Ryeowook so that she could eat. Mr Cho asked Ahra to push the adjustable tray towards Ryeowook and Mrs Shim helped Ryeowook to open up the food covers and Ahra poured a glass of water for Ryeowook. Ryeowook thanked all of them and started eating. 

Everybody wanted to carry Hyun-Jung and everyone took turns to take photo!! 

Just when Ryeowook, Kyuhyun and Mrs Cho finished eating, Hyun-Jung started crying. Changmin got panic as he was carrying the baby  and the crying became louder. 

"Come come, let me carry him" Changmin's mother took over and started to talk gently to Hyun-Jung while bringing him to Ryeowook "Okay, mummy is here... you want your milk??? Be patient okay darling...." she smile happily and looked up "Okay everybody, clear this space, let Wook feed her baby..." 

"I'll help her" Mrs Cho draw the curtain so that Ryeowook has some privacy.  She stepped towards her daughter-in-law. 

"Omma, I want to be with my wife" Kyuhyun said from outside the curtain. 

"You wait, we'll teach Wook how to feed first" Mrs Shim told Kyuhyun and Mrs Cho laughed. 

"Okay Wook, don't be shy with us, you need him to latch on your and encourage him to rhythmically, so that he begins switching on the cells in your s to initiate your milk supply. This is call the 'magic hour'! The first hour you feed your baby!" Mrs Cho told Ryeowook. 

"How do I position him, ommonim?" Ryeowook asked. To be honest, she really didn't know what to do! 

Mrs Shim chipped in "Hold your baby facing your s, with the front of his body facing yours, tummy to tummy, like this" and she gently help Ryeowook to hold the baby to face her . 

Mrs Cho added "Yes his head should be in line with the rest of his body, not turned, to make swallowing easier. Try to tickle baby's lip with your to encourage baby to open very wide, you know, like a yawn. Then put his mouth onto your . He will start "

Ryeowook was thankful that both Kyuhyun's mother and his aunt were very helpful. She tried to latch her baby, and wowwww he immediately know how to ! 

"Ommonim, he started , but I think no milk yet..." Ryeowook became worried. 

"Just give a while, your milk supply will automatically flow, don't worry" her aunt-in-law smilingly assured her. 

"Ohhh there!! I can feel that it's flowing!!" Ryeowook said happily. Ohmygod!! She was really feeding her baby!! Her own milk supply!! 

Both mothers were happy for her and told her after a while, she needed to unlatch him, and change direction to feed him on her other . That way, she won't experience milk clogged which could be painful. 

Ryeowook nodded with understanding and thanked both mothers. 

"Omma, can I come in now?!!" Kyuhyun impatiently asked. 

"Yes yes, you can come in now!" Mrs Cho laughed and gestured at her sister-in-law to leave, to let the new parents enjoy the feeding session. 

Ryeowook smile at Kyuhyun, who sat down next to her on the bed and put his arm around her and kissed her temple. 

"He's so cute!" Kyuhyun soothed his son's head. 

"I was scared that there wasn't any milk when he first , but then the milk flow and he hasn't stop . I need to switch to my right soon" 

"There's milk, I've been them..." Kyuhyun chuckled. 

"Kyu-Kyu..... not so loud..." Ryeowook nudged at him shyly. 

Kyuhyun laughed "What's to be shy about, we are husband and wife!" he pinched her nose. "Ermmm, maybe he didn't strong enough, that's why... " 

Ryeowook smile, and then tried to unlatch him, but only after a while, Hyun-Jung did unlatched, so she turned him carefully, with Kyuhyun's help, to transfer him to her right , and little Hyun-Jung happily started again. 

Kyuhyun kissed his son's head and kissed his wife's cheek. His very own little family! Those days before his grandfather asked him to give him a great grandson, he never once thought that he would experience what he saw now, watching his baby happily his wife's milk. He couldn't describe his feelings right now... Happy, grateful, proud, complete.. and love!

Kyuhyun his son's tiny hands that came out of the nappy wrap, and his cute little feet, which also came out of the nappy wrap because his little feet kept kicking the wrap. So cute! "No wonder he kept kicking your tummy last time! See, he kept kicking to free his little feet out of the wrap!!" Kyuhyun laughed.

Ryeowook laughed too. Indeed, her little son couldn't keep still, even during feeding. And he wasn't even a day's old! 

Kyuhyun wrapped his free hand against Ryeowook's hand, holding their son together, and he kissed his wife cheek again. Yes, he was happy.... because he has his very own little family now!!