Day Care

Surrogate

 

"Noona, she is Ryeowook" Kyuhyun went up to Ryeowook and laughed when his sister mistaken her as a helper. "Ryeong, this is my sister, Ahra. Pardon her because she's always lazy to bring up her own luggage" and Kyuhyun said "ouch" because he got a kick from Ahra. 

"'I'm sorry, Ryeowook! Nice to meet you!" Ahra laughed and extended her hand. At closer look, she admit that Ryeowook was pretty and sweet, and matched her little brother very well. 

"It's okay, unnie, don't worry about it. Nice to meet you too" Ryeowook bowed a little and was pulled gently by Kyuhyun to the living room again. 

The early dinner was nice, with plenty of food, but eventhough Kyuhyun put a lot of nourishing meat and vegetables on her bowl, as usual, Ryeowook would look for pickles. 

Mrs Cho noticed that, and said with understanding "Do You feel like eating something sour? I'll get the helper to prepare for you mango pudding"

Ryeowook said shyly "I don't really have appetite ommonim, so yes, I just feel like eating something sour. I know I have to eat though..." she glanced at Kyuhyun who looked at her with so much care.

Mrs Cho called the helper and asked her to bring out the mango pudding to Ryeowook first, since it was meant for their dessert later. Mrs Cho gestured for Ryeowook to eat the pudding first, and it was so delicious, being sourly sweet, that Ryeowook finished it in no time!

"Ryeong, try to eat a bit of rice and meat" Kyuhyun coaxed her, while he asked the helper to get another bowl of mango pudding.

Mrs Shim added gently "Add the pickles to the rice and meat, at least you can taste a bit of sour and can swallow the rice"

Ryeowook bowed slightly and took pickles, meat and rice, and tried to swallow it. After a few mouthful, she couldn't eat anymore, so she just ate the pickles.

"Ryeong..." Kyuhyun tried to get her to eat more.

"It's okay Kyuhyun, don't force her, at least she managed to eat some rice and meat" harabuji told Kyuhyun.

"I think it's a boy, abunim. I don't have appetite when I was carrying Kyuhyun too, compared to when I was carrying Ahra, I ate a lot!" Mrs Cho said, smiling happily. 

Harabuji commented "No wonder Ahra is this size now!" and everybody laughed, making Ahra said in an annoying tone  "Harabuji......"

They had a great time catching up and Ryeowook eventually finished up all the pickles! Changmin smilingly passed over his pickles too and Ryeowook happily accepted, making Kyuhyun looked "Tsk.." at Changmin for encouraging Ryeowook to eat non-nourishing stuff. 

After dinner, Ryeowook politely declined to stay as she needed to clean and feed her father. 

"So have you decided which full day care centre you want for your father?" Harabuji asked Ryeowook. 

"Yes harabuji, and I will put a deposit tomorrow. What I like about this care centre is, it allows close family member to visit the patient at anytime, so I will not be restricted by the fixed visiting hours" 

"Ahhh, that's very good!" Harabuji nodded his head approvingly. 

It was about 6pm that eventually Ryeowook left with Kyuhyun, after harabuji got everybody to confirm what needed to be done for the wedding. Their wedding date has been set, and Ryeowook and Kyuhyun need to drop by Mrs Cho's friend's boutique to try the wedding hanbok set the following Saturday. 

Once they reached Ryeowook's home, Kyuhyun told her to rest while he cleaned up her father. Of course she protested, because her father was her responsibility, but Kyuhyun managed to convince her to let him do it and she could clean the tubes later. 

The next day, they arrived at Happy Senior Citizens centre at Nokbeon-dong, Eunpyeong-gu, where Kyuhyun has made a prior appointment. 

The cleaners were washing the pathment and Ryeowook slipped, alarming Kyuhyun who quickly grabbed her hand and held it tightly, to steady her. 

"Ohmygod, you nearly gave me a heart attack" Kyuhyun said, touching his chest. 

"Sorry! I didn't realise it's so slippery! I got a fright too" 

"Are you okay?" Kyuhyun stopped her from walking further to make sure that she was okay.

Ryeowook nodded and assured him "I'm okay... "

"Okay let's go, I remembered that the office is on the right side" Kyuhyun looked around and saw the signboard.

They met up with the secretariat, and after some clarifications on overall patient's wellbeing, daily activities, cleaning up and feeding, as well as regular medical checkups, Ryeowook signed the agreement to put her father in this care centre and put a deposit. She had already informed Kyuhyun that she wanted to bear the cost, so Kyuhyun let her because he would give her monthly allowance anyway.

On the way to lunch, Kyuhyun realised that Ryeowook was crying quietly in the car.  Alarmed, he asked "Ryeong, what's wrong?". He quickly parked his car outside a cafe, and turned her face to him.

"I...I.. just feel sad that I will put him there. I know, it's for his own good, and he will get better care and treatment... but I just feel sad, I can't help it..." Ryeowook said, sobbing.

Kyuhyun unbuckled both their seatbelts and pulled her into his arms. He understood why she was sad, because she has been caring for her father eversince his accident. He said gently, while soothing her hair "On his first day at the care centre next Friday, let's stay there the whole day, so that he knows that you will always be there to visit him... "

Ryeowook nodded and calmed down. She was thankful that Kyuhyun understood her and always so caring. 

Kyuhyun wiped her tears "You are not alone now. You have me, and our baby. So don't keep everything to yourself and just share them with me, because I want to go through everything with you and make you happy" 

The dreaded Friday came, and Ryeowook cleaned and fed her father for the last time that morning. She held back her tears and told her father that he would be in a nursing home and she would be there to accompany him. 

Strangely, her father kept on smiling and nodding his head, as though he wasn't sad to part with her. Kyuhyun came with breakfast, and an hour later, the ambulance arrived to fetch her father to bring him to the care centre. As she insisted to accompany her father in the ambulance, Kyuhyun relented and drove to the care centre alone, behind the ambulance. 

Kyuhyun had bring along the remaining milk boxes and adult diapers and hand them over to the care centre. He was quite satisfied how the care centre handled Mr Kim, he was finally settled and asleep by noon. The resident doctor had done an initial check on him and told Kyuhyun and Ryeowook that Mr Kim would need some vitamins which he would recommend to the nurses to add into his milk during feeding.

They drove out for lunch and on the way, Ryeowook started to feel some cramps. She leaned back to calm herself down. 

"Did I exert too much strength this morning when cleaning appa?" she wondered nervously. 

It was while walking to the cafe that the cramps started again and Ryeowook grabbed Kyuhyun's arm with her right hand as he was holding her left hand. "Heyyy baby, you okay?" he put his arm around her and pulled her closer.

"I feel some cramps just now and it started again now. Maybe I used too much strength this morning when cleaning appa..." and she clings to Kyuhyun as he guided her a table at a corner, and get her to sit.

"You should just wait for me" Kyuhyun said while taking her water bottle from her tote bag. He knew even if he was there earlier, she would still want to clean her father herself for the last time. But at least he could help to change his diaper. He was slightly late because he detoured to buy breakfast. 

He got her to drink and waited if she was all right. When she said that she was better, he covered back the bottle and said "Wait here, I get our food and a warm drink for you"

Kyuhyun came back with his orders, with warm milo for her. Once seated, he called up their gynae, Dr Jang and told her about Ryeowook's cramps, and that she always have no appetite to eat. Dr Jang quickly set an appointment since there was a slot today, and asked them to see her at 3pm later. 

"Ryeong, thank god there's a slot today. She will see us at 3pm" Kyuhyun told her and coaxed her to eat, since she was just sipping her milo since just now. He mixed her bibimbap and added pickles and kimchi to her rice. "You have to eat, Ryeong. Think of our baby.." 

"Kyu Kyu, it's not that I didn't want to eat. I want, but after a while, I just couldn't swallow it anymore. If I force it down, I will throw up" 

"Okay okay, just eat what you can. At least you eat something" Kyuhyun put the chopstick on her hand so that she could start eating. He kissed her forehead and sat opposite her. 

"You are not going to your office today?" Ryeowook asked while she started eating. 

"No, I get my staff to handle everything unless it's urgent, then they will call me" 

"Thank you... Nobody put me as priority before..." 

"Not even that Hyunshik guy? So... I take it that there was really nothing going on with him... " Kyuhyun smilingly teasing her. 

"You are still jealous of him..." 

"Just want to make sure that I'm the only one in your heart" 

"You are" Ryeowook glanced up at him and continued eating to hide her shyness. 

Kyuhyun smile happily. Somehow he felt like his heart was melting and he felt warm in his chest. He just fell deeper and deeper in love with this woman!!! And he just want to hug her all day!! "Can we get married tomorrow??" 

"Huhhhh...??" Ryeowook thought that she heard him wrongly. 

Kyuhyun laughed "Just kidding..." 

After she finished half of her food, Ryeowook pushed aside her stone bowl as she couldn't finish it.  She felt sorry for wasting food but she couldn't help it. She really couldn't swallow it anymore.

Kyuhyun didn't force her and once he finished his food, he stood up and helped to carry her tote bag. Her tote bag was very cute, black colour with 2 giraffes on it. He held her hand tightly as they walked back to the car. 

"Kyu Kyu, I'm feeling better already. Must we still see Dr Jang?" 

"Yes, of course. I want to make sure that you and baby are okay. Don't worry, after that we'll go back to the day care centre". 

"Okayyy" she said while putting on her seat belt. Now that she was 4 weeks pregnant, she could feel that she was easily exhausted and drained of energy. She was glad that Kyuhyun insisted her to stop working, else she wouldn't know how she would survived working at 2 places in her condition now. 

Dr Jang quickly asked her nurse to get Ryeowook ready, and Kyuhyun helped Ryeowook to lie down and soothed her hair. Dr Jang started scanning from Ryeowook's abdomen to gauge the womb expansion, and insert her mini camera to check her womb and the baby. She let them hear the baby's heartbeat, which was the best beats that he ever heard, and they could see that the foetus was moving. Dr Jang printed a copy of the foetus and slot it into a card, and pass it to Kyuhyun. 

"Okay, why you experience cramps is because your womb did not expand as fast as the foetus. Maybe because you were a , and did not have any , so the womb was not accustom to be in active mode. I need to give you an injection to encourage your womb to expand, so let me prepare the syringe. Just give me a moment" Dr Jang told Ryeowook, and went out of the curtain and out the door. 

"I want to see the baby" Ryeowook turned to Kyuhyun excitedly and gestured him to show her the printed image. 

"It's so small but seem to be long. Must be as tall as me!" Kyuhyun chuckled. 

"So beautiful and amazing, and I still can't believe that it's growing inside me..."

"Dr Jang said that your womb is not in active mode, so after our marriage, I will make sure it is active..." and he laughed when Ryeowook nudged him. 

"How can we do it if I'm pregnant? Wouldn't it harm the baby?" Ryeowook asked innocently. 

"We can asked Dr Jang later" 

"What?! No...!! It's so embarrassing..." 

"It's good to know, at least I will know my limits!" Kyuhyun laughed again when Ryeowook beat his hand. 

A while later Dr Jang came in with a nurse carrying a small container with alcohol swab. Ryeowook felt scared after seeing the syringe in Dr Jang's hand. 

"So sorry that it will be a bit painful, so just close your eyes and try to relax. I'll be injecting you from your abdomen surface directly to your womb". 

The nurse did the alcohol swab, and Ryeowook braised herself for the needle. Kyuhyun put an arm under her head and held her hand tightly. Even with the alcohol swab, Ryeowook could still feel the pain and couldn't stop herself from sobbing. Kyuhyun stood up fully and hugged her and didn't let her go until Dr Jang said it was done and the nurse had cleaned her up. He carried her down from the bed and waited outside the curtain.

They were both seated while listening to Dr Jang's explanation.  The injection will stimulate her womb to expand and in turned, it would help with the baby's growth. When Kyuhyun asked about Ryeowook's lack of appetite, Dr Jang said that it was due to her hormonal changes and suggested for her to munch small snacks in between meals. 

Of course Kyuhyun asked the dreaded question that Ryeowook didn't want to ask, which was, whether Ryeowook's pregnancy would be okay if they have ? Dr Jang's answer was "Of course, can, as long as it's not too vigorous!" and she smile while setting up their next appointment for them. 

They went back to the daycare centre, but Mr Kim was sleeping after his evening feeding. He has been cleaned and given vitamins and he looked so happy and contented. Ryeowook kissed his forehead and followed Kyuhyun out quietly. 

She was sleeping in Kyuhyun's car due to her exhaustion, and when he carried her into her bedroom, she didn't even wake up. He cleaned her and put a clean pajamas for her, and he took a bath. 

He ordered dinner and put the food in the kitchen to be heated up later, and stretched himself and yawn. 

He walked in to her bedroom and lie down next to her and pulled her gently into his arm. He just wanted to keep her warm, but he eventually fell asleep too! 

Ryeowook woke up and felt strange that she was no longer in a car, yet she felt like there was a seat belt. She felt the 'seat belt' with her hand, and was surprised that it was actually a hand! She turned her head slightly, and realised that she was actually in Kyuhyun's arms, and he was sleeping next to her!

She felt his warm breath, his steady heartbeat, and felt giddy that she was sleeping in Kyuhyun's arms. She felt like she was in a paradise! 

"Will I always be in his arms like this, after our marriage...?" she wondered, smiling to herself.