The Chos

Surrogate

 

Ryeowook was so touched that Kyuhyun was sincere enough to seek permission from her father to marry her. She has woken up and when she stepped out to her living room, she saw Kyuhyun things, which means Kyuhyun was still here. That was when she heard Kyuhyun's voice talking to her father. She also saw that Kyuhyun had finished cleaning up and fed her father, and she felt so thankful to him. 

She walked nearer and put her arm at Kyuhyun's shoulder. He was wiping her father's happy tears and when he felt Ryeowook's hand on his shoulder, he turned to her and smile, and got up and asked Ryeowook to sit instead.

Her father looked at her, and looked at Kyuhyun, and then smile and nodding his head. Ryeowook got up and hugged him on his bed "Appa, thank you... " she sob because she was so touched. 

Kyuhyun held her shoulders from behind and asked her to sit again. He kissed her head and bring out the basin, towel and tube to wash and sterilise them. 

Ryeowook stopped him "Kyu Kyu, I'll do it.." and wanted to take over the basin. 

"It's okay Ryeong, you stay with him for a while. I've ordered dinner, it should be here soon"

"Ohh thank you!" Ryeowook was so appreciative of Kyuhyun. 

They ate dinner together after Kyuhyun took a shower. He put on Mr Kim's teeshirt and jogging pants which of course was short for the giant Kyuhyun. 

"Ryeong, can you tender your resignation at that 7-Eleven tomorrow?" 

"But if I also tendered at the cafe, I will end up with no salary" 

"Why do you need a salary if you are going to be my wife?" 

"I want to pay for Appa's full-day care centre. Let me pay, at least I don't feel so guilty by putting him there" 

"We are not abandoning him there. You can visit him anytime and he will get proper treatment and follow up checkup" 

"I know, but I really want to pay for it. Our original plan was for me to work at your home, but since we are getting married, then it will be weird if you pay your wife" Ryeowook chuckled. 

"Then I will give you allowance. You can pay for abunim's day care centre and buy whatever you want or just save it". 

"So I will pay for abunim expenses okay. I don't want to be a free-loader. Maybe because I have been working to get ends meet, so I am used to be independent" 

"I know and I respect that. But you need to think of yourself for once and our baby. Maybe after baby is born, we can plan for something if you want to return to work". 

Ryeowook nodded. She agreed that what Kyuhyun said was true. She has to think of herself and baby for now. 

The dreaded Saturday finally came! Ryeowook felt agitated the whole day at the cafe. She has already decided what to wear which she had brought along, but the prospect of meeting Kyuhyun's parents and family members scares her tremendously. 

Her lady boss has been nagging because Ryeowook tendered her resignation by giving 2 weeks notice. It wasn't easy to get a good worker like Ryeowook so she was rather regretful that she had always scolded Ryeowook. Maybe Ryeowook found another place to work, or maybe that damn Hyunshik pulled her to work at Uniqlo, she thought to herself angrily. She must scold that Hyunshik when she saw him outside waiting for Ryeowook next time! 

After work, Ryeowook changed to a pretty lavender dress that her late mother had sewed for her, and she put on a lilac coloured knitted cardigan. It matched perfectly as lilac was a lighter version of lavender. She put on face powder and light lipstick, and combed her hair. 

She touched her tummy and said "Baby, I'm meeting my soon to be in-laws which will be your families too. Wish me luck ok!" and looking herself at the mirror, she gave herself a "Fighting!!" gesture, and took her bag and a paperbag and walked out.  She had baked macadamia chocolate chip cookies last night and she hope harabuji would like it. 

When she stepped out of the cafe, she was surprised that Kyuhyun was standing outside the cafe! "Kyu Kyu! Why are you here?  You can just wait in your car" 

"I want to hold your hand" and Kyuhyun reached out to hold her hand, took her paperbag, and gently pulled her along. "You looked very pretty, Ryeong!" and smile handsomely at her. "What's this?" he asked, gesturing at her paperbag. 

"I bake macadamia chocolate chips cookies for harabuji. I hope he likes it and that I can do well in front of your parents too" she said and took one cookie from a smaller container from her tote bag which was for Kyuhyun and fed Kyuhyun to try. She told him that the smaller container is for him. 

"Hmmm, this is good! I love it!! So tasty and smell nice!! Thank you!!!" he took 2 more cookies and closed back the cover. "But heyyy, don't worry too much about my families. I picked up my parents from the airport yesterday and I've already told them about you. They know the whole story and couldn't wait to meet you! My sister is coming back now, I guess. She will go straight to the mansion" Kyuhyun said while they got into his car. 

"Ohh, do you need to pick her up now?" she asked after Kyuhyun started driving. 

"No need! She usually will rent a car, and she flies in and flies out so frequently,  as though London is next to Korea!" 

Ryeowook giggled. It helped to lessen her nervousness about meeting Kyuhyun's families that occupied her mind the whole morning. After a while, she leaned on the car seat and unconsciously touched her tummy. 

"Are you okay?" Kyuhyun quickly asked, after glancing at her. "Do you want to munch anything? I can drop by somewhere" 

Ryeowook slowly turned her head to him and looked baffled. Now that he mentioned it, she did feel hungry. Ohmygod, she has not eaten anything, not even breakfast! 

"Ahhh... I was too nervous that I forgot that I am pregnant and I didn't eat anything. Can you drop by a petrol station? I can grab a bun..." 

"Ryeong, you are 3 weeks pregnant... and you didn't eat anything?" Kyuhyun sounded annoyed and turned into a petrol station and stopped at a pump machine. "Wait here" he said and got out. After informing the petrol attendent about his choice of petrol, Kyuhyun walked into the mini-market to get buns and to make payment. 

"Is he angry with me..?" Ryeowook asked herself, because Kyuhyun looked annoyed just now.  This was the first time she saw him like this! Kyuhyun came back and passed her a packet of red bean buns, and a bottle of dried sour plum. 

"Baby, your daddy is angry with mummy..." Ryeowook said to herself sadly. 

Kyuhyun continued driving without saying anything. 

She looked out the window and sighed. She ate the bun slowly and swallowed quietly. She couldn't eat anymore, so she kept the 2nd bun back in the packet and kept it in her bag. She became upset because Kyuhyun was still annoyed with her. She cried silently facing the window so that Kyuhyun wouldn't know. 

Ryeowook didn't realised that Kyuhyun has stopped his car at a small park. He unbuckled both their seatbelts and pulled her gently towards him. 

He was sad that her face was wet with tears "Oh Ryeong, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I just want you to start paying attention to yourself... I'm so sorry" and pulled her into his arms. 

Kyuhyun himself didn't understand why he became annoyed. Yes he expected her to start paying attention to herself now that she was expecting, but he should also understand that she was nervous at the prospect of meeting his parents and his other family members. Maybe because he couldn't be there with her since morning, to console her and to ensure her that there was nothing to worry about. 

He grabbed a tissue and wiped her tears, and she took it to wipe them herself. "My mind was on work and on the meeting with your families. I didn't feel hungry at all and didn't purposely forget that I am pregnant..." 

"I know, and I'm sorry. I guessed I was annoyed at myself for not taking care of you and was not there for you. All these feelings are new to me and I need to learn how to behave, how to care about your feelings and to be more considerate towards the person that I love..."

"Kyu Kyu, to me, you are already all that. It's me who need to change.  I had promised you that I will start thinking for myself, but I practically forgot all about it today" Ryeowook said sadly.

"We both learn together and we go through all these together okay" he said and tilted up her face to look at him "Am I forgiven... ?" and when she nodded, he reached over to kiss her.

"I think I need to touch up my face with face powder" Ryeowook touched her face and quickly took out her pouch. Kyuhyun chuckled and took the compact powder from her hand and turned her towards him, and started applying it on her pretty face. He peck her lips and applied the powder again. He took her lipstick from her hand too, and kissed her first before putting on her lipstick.

He returned her compact powder and she quickly checked herself in the mirror. She smile at him and thanked him, and kept the compact powder and the lipstick in her pouch. He squeezed her hands and was glad that she felt better now, and started to drive again.

Harabuji hugged Ryeowook when they arrived, and he let Kyuhyun introduced Ryeowook to his parents himself, then to his aunt, uncle and Changmin, whom she has already met. She bowed respectfully to them and Kyuhyun's mother hugged her happily and gestured her to sit.

Ryeowook took the paperbag from Kyuhyun and passed it to old Mr Cho "Harabuji, I baked these. I hope it taste good"

"Ohh you bake these? Really? Let me try, and he opened the giraffe motive container and took a cookie.

"It's really nice harabuji" Kyuhyun said, praising Ryeowook's cookies.

"Hmmmm, yes this is good!! I can taste the macadamia!! I love macadamia, Ryeowook!" harabuji really loved it and get the rest to try also.

Mrs Shim said "This is really good! You should consider doing home-based baking!" 

Changmin agreed "Yes and sell them online through social media platform!"

"Heyyy common you guys, I don't want her to be too tired" Kyuhyun told them.

"How about, only when somebody ordered, then you bake, and give the customer the option to self- collect or deliver, which of course they need to pay the delivery charges. It wouldn't be too tiring this way" Mrs Cho added in.

Ryeowook marvelled at them because they already could think about business prospect just by trying a cookie! "My cookies are normal, nothing special, so I don't think people will buy"

"It's really good, Ryeowook. You should try this home-bakery concept. You can bake at your own pace and if you are too tired, just post something like orders closed, so nobody could order anymore" Mrs Shim encouraged her.

"Alright I will give it some thoughts, thank you so much! I'll discuss this with Kyuhyun first..." she glanced at Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun nodded his head and smile at her. 

"Okay then, shall we discuss about their wedding?" old Mr Cho smile at them.

"Abunim, the wedding invitation cards will be ready by Wednesday and I have make reservation about the venue. The church and priest have been booked too" Mr Shim told him.

"Komo-bu, you've done all that?" Kyuhyun was surprised that all these have been arranged by his uncle.

"Yes, so that the invitation cards can be distributed earlier" 

"Thank you, je-bu. We will distribute the wedding cards" Kyuhyun's father said. He was very thankful that his younger sister's husband was very dependable. 

"Did you added about the dress code?" Harabuji asked his son-in-law. 

"Yes abunim" 

"What dress code?" Kyuhyun asked his grandfather. 

"I want everybody to put on our traditional attire! Even the guys!"

Changmin whistle and told his mother "Omma, I don't have a jeorgori" 

"Just rent it!" Mrs Shim playfully beat her son. 

"I will call my friend to make an appointment with her hanbok wedding boutique. Kyu, which day you can make it?" Kyuhyun's mother asked him. 

"Omma, can you do the appointment on Saturday? Ryeong is still working and she finishes at 1.30pm"

"Okay, maybe I meet-up with my friend first and select some wedding hanbok during one of these days. I will select a matching one for the groom also. Then on Saturday, you and Ryeowook can come over". 

"Thank you, omonim" Ryeowook sincerely thank her. Mrs Cho nodded happily. 

"Omma, don't choose something too extravagant, because Ryeong prefers something simple" 

"Okay okay I will take note" Mrs Cho told him. 

"And Hanna, remember to tell Ahra to put on Hanbok. Where is she, by the way?" Harabuji asked Mrs Cho. 

"She should be here soon, abunim" Kyuhyun's mother told him. 

While waiting for the food to be served, they talked more on traditional attires. Ryeowook excused herself to go to the washroom and Kyuhyun sent her. 

"Kyu Kyu, it's okay, I remember the way, you can go back to the living room" Ryeowook told him. 

"Okay.. be careful.." Kyuhyun let go of her hand. 

When Ryeowook walked back to the living room, she heard an additional voice. "Ohhh maybe Kyu Kyu's noona is here..." she told herself. 

Finally she saw Ahra. She was standing near to the staircase with a luggage and talking to the rest. Ryeowook walked nearer and bowed at her, and was about to introduce herself. 

"Hmm, are you new? Can you bring up my luggage to my room?" Ahra pointed to her luggage, thinking that Ryeowook was one of the helpers...