Unexpected

Surrogate

 

Bicena, which towering above Seoul on the 81st floor of the Signiel Seoul Hotel, has a unique menu that stays true to the spirit of traditional Korean fine dining. 

Kyuhyun ordered 'Light of Life' for both of them. It was a 5-course dinner, and he chose steam cube sailfish as appetiser, deep fried prawn coated with dried barley shrimp as starter, fermented abalone and dry-aged striploin with rice and mussels soup as their main, and kimchi chips with sweet mashed potatoes as their dessert. 

"Kyu-Kyu, you don't have to order so many...." 

"It's in the set, and within the set, we have to choose from three different varieties of selection..." 
Kyuhyun smile warmly at her "Anyway, you are eating for two, you know" 

"But I'm not a big eater..." 

"I think the portion is not very big, so don't worry about it" he told her. "Ryeong, hold the bouquet, I want to take a photo of you..." he took out his phone and moved her glass of water slightly away from her. 

"Ohhh, do I look okay?" she touched her face because she was crying just now.

"You look beautiful my love" Kyuhyun . 

Ryeowook held the bouquet of rosses in front of her and tilted her face slightly and smile. She looked so cute, making Kyuhyun laughed. 

A waiter came with their appetiser, and offered to take a photo for them. 

"Oh great, wait, I go over" he told the waiter and passed his phone to him. He stood behind Ryeowook, hugged her with one arm, and bent forward so that his face is next to Ryeowook. He gestured for the waiter to stand nearer for the 1st photo, and slightly further for the 2nd photo. 

The waiter showed his thumb up, and showed them the photos in case they wanted to retake. Kyuhyun thanked him because the photos turned out very lovely, with the beautiful roses, window background and their loving faces.

He kissed her cheek and returned to his seat. They started eating and Ryeowook was amazed that the food tasted very authentic eventhough they were served in a high class restaurant. 

"I came here twice before, once with my parents and the other one was with harabuji. I like the food and the ambience, and I told myself that I will bring my wife here next time if I ever got married! And here we are!" Kyuhyun laughed. 

"Previously, you didn't have the intention to get married? I mean, you are tall and handsome and a CEO, surely you have so many admirers!" 

Kyuhyun chuckled "I never checked how many admirers I have" he laugged. "I didn't understand myself too why I didn't ask many ladies out for dates.  Maybe I was waiting for that special someone all along" and he looked at her, smiling so handsomely. 

Ryeowook chuckled "and one day one plain and ugly girl suddenly came into your life..." 

"Ryeong, seriously, you were never plain and ugly. A simple person, yes, but beautiful, confident, caring and very down to earth" Kyuhyun praised her honestly. "It's fated, don't you think so? Why harabuji had that request in the first place, why Siwon gave that suggestion, why you happened to see the advertisement, and why you decided to call me. Everything happened for a reason to bring you to me" 

"And I always thank God for that!" 

"Yes, me too. Ohh, by the way, Ryeong, I've transfered the money into your account" 

"What? I thought that agreement is no longer valid after we got married..?" she looked up at him with surprised. 

"It's still a valid agreement and I really want you to have the money. You keep it or use it for abunim or if you want to start your own business..." 

Ryeowook felt so touch "Thank you" and her eyes became watery again. She was so touch that Kyuhyun really cares for her. Her tears started flowing down, and she sniffed and looked for serviette. 

"Heyyy baby, why are you crying..." Kyuhyun chuckled and took out his handkerchief and reached across to dab at her tears. How he love this woman! She was so humble and always thankful for everything. "Okay, eat up, else baby will gets hungry..." he smile. 

They started eating again, and Ryeowook said "It's really a nice place, and the food is lovely. But it must have cost a bomb!" 

"For special occasions, I really don't mind the cost" Kyuhyun smile and reached over to wipe Ryeowook's side mouth stained with bits of kimchi chips. 

Ryeowook smile "Thanks" and wiped properly. She smile sweetly at him "Thank you hubby, for a lovely dinner, a beautiful evening and this beautiful bouquet" 

"You are most welcome, my dear wife!" Kyuhyun smile and he signalled at a waiter for their bill. The waiter bowed and after a short while, he came over and passed  the payment slip in a small folder to Kyuhyun politely. After Kyuhyun had checked the slip, he put a card, and the waiter bowed and moved away. 

A few minutes later he came back with the payment receipt and bowed again. Kyuhyun thanked him and kept his card. He looked at Ryeowook "Okay, shall we go?" he asked and Ryeowook nodded and finished up her water. He got up to help his wife with her jacket, and they walked out the restaurant hand-in-hand. 

They were in the car on their way home when Ryeowook started to feel itchy. She scratched her neck and before long, she started to feel itchy all over and felt her body hot yet she shivered. 

"Kyu-Kyu, I feel itchy all over and my body is hot.." 

"Ryeong, what's wrong??" Kyuhyun turned to her with alarmed. He detoured to a side road, and stopped his car. He swithed on his car light, and was alarmed with what he saw "Ohmygod Ryeong, you are red all over! You have allergic reaction!" Kyuhyun said in a panic mode and started recalling what she ate. There must be something that his wife was allergic to. 

"My body is hot but I'm shivering..." 

"I'm bringing you to the hospital. Relax and try not to scratch okay" Kyuhyun calmed himself down and quickly started his car. "Ryeong, do you recall what you are allergic to?" 

"I... can't... recall..." 

"Okay okay just relax, we'll reaching a hospital soon" 

Kyuhyun brought his wife to the A&E, and seeing how red she was, a doctor attended to her immediately. 

"Doctor, my wife is pregnant...."

Dr Lee said "I see, thank you for telling me. That means we can only give her mild treatment to protect the baby" and he proceeded to examine her rashes in detail. He instructed a nurse to take a blood sample, and he asked Ryeowook to lie down. 

The doctor asked her in detail what food did she eat and made some notes on a paper, and at the same time, he prepared to give her an injection. Kyuhyun told the doctor more details about the food, and the place where they had their dinner. All the while, he was holding Ryeowook's hand. 

After the nurse had taken Ryeowook's blood sample, she politely told Kyuhyun to take a seat while she applied anti-rashes cream all over Ryeowook's body. She politely explained to her what the cream was about and that the cream would ease her itchiness.  Ryeowook thanked her and felt herself slowly getting sleepy. It must be the injection just now... 

After Kyuhyun had seated, he asked the doctor "Was it the food that causes her allergy? 

"Not really. The food as a whole is fine, it's just that one of the item must have triggered an allergic reaction" he looked at his note. "I suspect it was the mussels that trigger the reaction. I don't mean that she is allergic to mussels, it's just that it triggered the reaction"

"I see..." 

"Mussels have neurotoxin, and carries ocean salt, so if your wife body has low monosodium tolerance, it reacted to the sudden influx of ocean salt and tried to push them away, giving her  numbness, itchiness and rashes"

"Okay, I understand now" 

"I need her to be warded until the blood test result is out. For rashes arises from allergic reaction, it might take at least a week to fully recovered, and since she's pregnant, it might take 2 weeks. I will check and confirm again once the blood test is out" he told Kyuhyun, and make a phone call to arrange a ward for the patient. 

An hour later, Ryeowook woke up feeling much better, but felt bad that she herself didn't know that she have allergy with some food. She found herself in a ward, and she heard Kyuhyun's voice outside the slightly-opened door. She touched her tummy and hope that their baby is not affected by her allergy. 

She felt thirsty and slowly turned her head to the side table. A jar and a covered glass was there. She tried to sit up but she felt pain at her tummy. "Ahhhh...." she unconsciously said it, without realising that she had said it out loud. 

Kyuhyun head popped in, and seeing that she has woken up, he ended his conversation with whoever it was. 

"Ryeong, wait, I'll adjust your bed" and he quickly came over to her bed and pressed the button to adjust it. "Are you feeling some cramps?" he asked, noticing that her hand was at her tummy. He soothed her tummy. 

"It's just a normal cramp, and not very painful" Ryeowook shook her head and smile. "Can you pour some water for me?" 

"Oh sure" he said and poured for her and helped her to drink. 

"Thank you.  Ermm... why do I have to be warded? I think the rashes are okay now..." 

Kyuhyun put back the glass and held her hand. He examined it if there were still rashes, because her hands felt warm. "The doctor need to see your blood test result and will advice further. Ryeong, I'm sorry I shouldn't choose those seafood course..." 

Ryeowook interrupted him "No Kyu-Kyu, it's not your fault at all. I should be the one who should know myself. I think long time ago I fell sick too after eating clams. But I can't really recall how bad I was sick or was it allergy or not.. "

"Anyway, I think it's best if we refrain from eating shellfish. But let's see the blood test result first. How are you feeling now?" 

"Not itchy anymore and but I feel slightly feverish..." 

Kyuhyun put his hand on her forehead "Oh my god, yes you are having a fever!" Kyuhyun felt her hands and legs, and now he understand why her hands felt warm. "Ryeong, the doctor is coming soon after he made his round. I was talking to him just now and he said he will drop by to check on you. I will tell him about your fever" he said, pulling the blanket to cover her. 

The doctor came and Kyuhyun told him about her fever. He examined Ryeowook, check her eyes, check her pulse, and wrote down something "It might be some parts of you are still having rashes. Let me get a nurse to check your temperature" the doctor said while quickly walked out and call for a nurse. 

The doctor diagnosed that her fever was the residue of her allergy, and also because of the earlier injection. He told the nurse to get a set of medicines and to put Ryeowook on a drip as well. 

Kyuhyun asked for porridge so that his wife would not be hungry and could take the medications later. Ryeowook felt appreciative that her husband was here with her, otherwise she surely wouldn't know what to do. 

By 1am, Ryeowook's fever finally subsided. Kyuhyun carried her to the toilet to do her business, wiped her face and hands and carried her back to the bed. 

He removed his jacket and climbed up on the bed to lie next to her and pulled her into his arms. 

"Kyu... I feel so blessed to be love and cared by you. You made me feel that I'm special..." 

"Because you are really special... and I love you" and Kyuhyun kissed her forehead and hugged closer. "Do you remember when we first slept together? I carried you in because you fell asleep in the car, then after I bathe, I lie down next to you and pull you in my arms because I just wanted to keep you warm. But I fell asleep!" Kyuhyun laughed. 

Ryeowook giggled "When I woke up, I realised that I was on my bed but there was a seat belt! That seat belt was your arm across me!" 

Kyuhyun chuckled "I slept so soundly you know, best sleep that I ever have, and when I opened my eyes, the first thing that I saw was you!! The best view ever" 

Ryeowook smile and looked at Kyuhyun lovingly. He looked tired but his eyes still show his love "You are tired. Let's sleep..." 

Kyuhyun nodded "Hopefully the blood test result is okay and you recover well" he said and he kissed his forehead again. "Goodnight Ryeong" 

Ryeowook sleepily said "Night...." and she closed her eyes and snuggled nearer to his face. The medication was making her gradually falling asleep. 

Kyuhyun smile at her cuteness. He soothed her hair lovingly and adjusted the drip tube so that she would feel painful. 

He slowly touched her belly and whispered "Goodnight baby. Daddy and mummy love you". And he drifted to sleep too, hugging his wife closely. 

A nurse who came into the ward, halted her steps and smile, seeing the couple hugging and sleeping together. She had wanted to check Ryeowook's temperature as well as to change her drip. She quietly stepped closer. 

"Such a beautiful couple and the husband is so loving" she smile while taking Ryeowook's temperature. Her temperature had stabilised but still slightly higher than normal. Not a good sign because it means that her allergy was still not completely over yet. She quietly changed the drip, and slowly stepped out from the ward. 

She had read Mrs Cho's medical report just now after she had started her shift, and the doctor had indicated "Strictly no seafood".  She felt sad for Mrs Cho because their hospital had a similar case 2 years ago, where the mother's allergy eventually harmed her baby, and the baby could not survived. 

She hope that Mrs Cho would overcome her allergy and recover well.  She opened up the medical file and recorded Mrs Cho's temperature. She would need to take her temperature again in early morning and hopefully her temperature would drop to normal, so that her baby would not be affected. 

And she hope that Mrs Cho's blood test gave a good result too. Though she didn't really know Mrs Cho as she had just started her shift, but seeing her sleeping so peacefully in her husband's arm, made her feel so warm, and she prayed that everything would turn out okay for Mr and Mrs Cho.