Wrong impression

Surrogate

 

Ryeowook woke up when she felt a nurse taking her temperature. 

"I'm sorry ma'am, didn't mean to wake you up" the nurse apologised. 

"It's okay. Ermm, what's my temperature?" Ryeowook asked, feeling her own neck at the same time.

"Thankfully it went down to within the normal range, but I will have to take your temperature again before 8am for the doctor's round. Breakfast will be serve in an hour's time. Your husband said he went home for a while and will be back soon, and he wants you to wait for him if you need to go to the toilet".

"Thank you" she smile at the nurse.

"Oh yes, we have contacted your gynae and she will be coming later, probably around 10am". 

"I see, great, thank you" 

The nurse removed her drip and told her that they would need to put her on a drip again if her temperature went up. She bowed slightly at her and turned to leave.

Ryeowook looked up at the wall clock. It was 6.30 in the morning. She wondered what time KyuKyu went home. Her poor husband. He just wanted to surprise her with a special dinner but it turned out to be like this. She blamed herself for not knowing her own allergy. 

"No wonder omma never buy shellfish after I got sick. I thought it was because we couldn't afford it, but actually it was because of me..." Ryeowook said sadly. After her parents' accident and she was forced to quit university and look for a job, she could never afford a seafood lunch, so she totally didn't eat any shellfish, which was why she never knew of her allergy.

The ward door opened and her freshly-looking husband walked in "Heyy Ryeong, why are you up so early?" he put down his backpack and duffel bag on the long seater, and came to her bed. 

"My pillow is not here..." she joked. 

Kyuhyun laughed and pinched her nose. He brought down the bed side-rail, and hugged her. He kissed her forehead, and checked her body temperature. He was glad that her fever had gone down but they need to be on their guard in case her fever went up again. "Ohh you are off the drip. That's a good sign. Okay, let me carry you to the toilet" Kyuhyun said while removing her blanket gently. 

"No KyuKyu, I can walk" she turned sideways and brought down her legs. 

"Nope, I insist to carry you. This is a good time for you to feel pampered..." he laughed and scooped her up.

"You've been pampering me all these while..."

"I did?..." he feigned ignorance. "Okay you do your business first, I'll bring in your toiletries, inner wear and a change of clothes" Kyuhyun put her down and wanted to remove her hospital attire. 

"I can do it myself...." he stopped Kyuhyun from removing it. 

Kyuhyun laughed "Why are you still shy with me? We showered together a few times" he proceeded to her hospital attire and removed everything. He kissed her tummy and pecked her lips. He really didn't mind helping his wife because she has been a part of his life. 

He went out to get her stuffs and then helped her to bathe. Even for her breakfast, he spoonfeed her despite her protest. 

"Kyu-Kyu, you applied leave for today?" she asked him after he ate his breakfast. He got himself a sandwich from the vending machine at the lift lobby. 

"Yes, I call harabuji on my way here. He usually wakes up very early to do his walking. Of course I got like 20 minutes of scoldings" 

"Ohh why...?" 

Kyuhyun chuckled "You ask him later. He's coming here about 11.30am" 

The doctor came to check on Ryeowook and based on her temperature chart and blood test result, her rashes were not cleared yet. It was confirmed that her allergic reaction was due to mussels, so the doctor advice her to refrain from eating any shellfish. Fish or squid should be okay though. 

"So, Mrs Cho, we will still need you to be warded for monitoring, especially because you are pregnant, and if everything is okay, you can be discharged on Saturday" the doctor said and turned to the nurse "Her gynae will be here?" 

"Yes doctor, she's on her way here. I will bring in the ultrasound scanning machine" 

"Thanks" and he wrote something on his file. "Okay, Mr and Mrs Cho, I'll drop by again in the afternoon" he smile and bowed slightly. 

"Thank you, doctor" Kyuhyun bowed slightly too. 

The gynae, Dr Jang, came not long after. They exchanged greetings and Dr Jang asked for Ryeowook's file politely from the nurse. While Dr Jang examined the rashes report, the nurse pushed in the ultrasound scan machine and hooked it up, draw the curtains and  pulled and chair for Dr Jang. 

She then politely removed Ryeowook's hospital pants and and cleaned her entrance. Dr Jang went out to clean her hand and put on gloves. 

Kyuhyun held his wife hand and stayed next to her head as Dr Jang insert the medical cam. Their baby came into view and Kyuhyun squeezed Ryeowook's hand. 

"Mrs Cho, I need to extract some amniotic fluid from your womb to check if your rashes affect the baby. Honestly I don't think so, but it is good to confirm. So it will be a little bit painful. Give me a minute" 

Ryeowook squeezed Kyuhyun's hand tightly and shut her eyes due to the pain. Kyuhyun soothed her hair and whispered "Just for a short while". 

"Okay, we are done. I'll get this processed and I let you know tomorrow. So far, your baby looks  healthy, but try to eat more, it helps in your baby's development" 

"Thank you Dr Jang, for coming all the way here" Kyuhyun said and bowed at her. 

Kyuhyun walked her out while the nurse cleaned Ryeowook. 

Harabuji and Kyuhyun's parents came while the curtains were being drawn opened. Kyuhyun explained that the gynae was just here to check on the baby. They would know whether the rashes affect the baby tomorrow, but so far so good, much to Mrs Cho's relieved. 

"Harabuji, I'm so sorry I couldn't bake cookies for you this week..." Ryeowook apologised. 

"My dear child, your health is more important, when you are well, you can always bake for me. Don't worry about that. By the way, we will visit your father after this, so don't worry about him too okay" 

"Thank you, harabuji" Ryeowook said, trying to sit up. Kyuhyun quickly stepped closer and helped her. 

"Kyu, bring Wook to stay at the mansion for the time being. At least she can rest and our helpers can cook nourishing food, with meat and chicken...." Mrs Cho suggested.

"That's a good idea, Hanna" harabuji agreed.

"But I don't want to trouble anyone..." Ryeowook said honestly.

"Ryeong, what omma said is correct. Let's stay at the mansion for a week after you are discharged. After that we can always go back home" Kyuhyun said, trying to convince her, and sat on the bed next to her, putting an arm around her. 

"Yes, and we can always drive you to visit your father if Kyu has meetings" Mr Cho chipped on too. He knew that his daughter-in-law has always been a humble girl and always didn't want to take advantage of them, but having rashes due to food allergy is no joke, and to make matters worst, she is pregnant.

Ryeowook looked at Kyuhyun, who nodded his head, and relented "Okay, we'll stay at the mansion, but Kyu, our plants..." 

Kyuhyun chuckled because of all things, she was worried about her plants "Either I get Ahjuma to water them, or I'll drop by home. I'll work it out with Ahjuma" Kyuhyun assured her.  Ahjuma Hong came twice weekly to clean their apartment. 

Ryeowook smile and nodded, and Kyuhyun hugged her. 

"Wook, if you are well and you feel like baking, we have all the equipment. Just tell us what ingredients you need, I can get for you and I can help you bake too" Mrs Cho offered. 

"Thank you, ommonim. When are you flying back to London?" Ryeowook asked. She didn't want them to delay returning back just because of her. 

"End of the month, but we'll return back here before you give birth. I want to see our grandchild" she smile happily. 

They talked for a while more, and then harabuji and Kyuhyun’s parents bid goodbye, to proceed to visit Ryeowook's father. Ryeowook thanked them and said "Send my regards to appa" and harabuji assured her that they would surely do. 

Dr Jang came over the next day with the amniotic fluid result. "Great news! Baby is healthy, no traces of rashes" and she looked at them and asked "Would you like to know your baby's gender? Amniotic fluid test is accurate for the gender, and you don't have to wait for the 20th week" she smile happily. 

"Ohhh really? Yes Dr Jang, why not?" Kyuhyun said happily. He turned to Ryeowook who nodded her head happily too. She had wanted to give Kyuhyun and harabuji a baby boy, so that he could continue with the Cho family surname. 

"It's a....." she smile at both of them "It's a boy!! Congratulations!!" she told the happy couple who automatically hugged each other. Dr Jang was happy herself because most of her IVF cases, the babies were girls. Kyuhyun's case was the first baby boy. She was genuinely happy for them, because through IVF, they ended up falling in love with each other, got married, and now waiting for a baby boy. 

"Thank you, Dr Jang!!" Ryeowook said happily. 

"Okay, I'll see you on your next checkup at my clinic, and have plenty of rest but keep monitoring your body temperature"  Dr Jang said and they exchange their goodbyes. 

"We can start buying baby boy clothings!!" Kyuhyun said happily. 

"Kyu-Kyu, it's still early!" Ryeowook laughed, making Kyuhyun laughed too and hugged her. 

"Ryeong, the doctor will come over this evening and if your rashes and fever confirmed had subsided, you should be able to be discharged tomorrow.  So I'll go home first to pack our clothings and send to the mansion, then i come back here, okay?" 

Ryeowook nodded. "Will you be back before the doctor's visit?" 

"Yes, I will. I help you to go to the toilet, after that you rest okay?" 

Ryeowook smile and nodded "But I want to walk..." she said, refusing to be carried. 

Kyuhyun relented, so he held her hand instead "Be careful..." 

Once she has settled back on the bed, Kyuhyun put her handphone next to her, put a glass of water on the cabinet near her, and kissed her before preparing to leave. "Try to take a nap..." 

"Okay hubby" and she waved at him.  After he left, she took a deep breath. She pitied Kyuhyun because he looked tired. She preferred to go back to their apartment, but she needed to think of Kyuhyun too. If they went back to their apartment, Kyuhyun would automatically want to take care of her. If they stayed at the mansion, Kyuhyun could rest and go to work, because there would be people around to help her and the helpers would cook for them. 

"Okayyy, the mansion then. I just hope that I'm not troubling them, especially the helpers" she said to herself. 

So once the doctor gave the green light for her to he discharged, Kyuhyun drove her to the mansion. Harabuji and Mrs Cho was happy to see them and everyone fussed over Ryeowook. Everyone was fond of her and when Kyuhyun announced that their baby would be a boy, harabuji was the happiest and patted Kyuhyun's back. Everybody congratulated them! 

On Monday morning, Kyuhyun left for work after ensuring that his wife had breakfast. The helper made oatmeal with cranberries and Ryeowook liked it a lot. Ryeowook initially sat with harabuji and uncle Shim at the living room, but later on they retired to the study, and then Changmin left for work as well. Mrs Cho, Mrs Shim and the head helper left for marketing and Ryeowook was left alone. 

She passed her time looking at photo albums and smile happily seeing Kyuhyun's photos when he was younger. There was one photo where he looked extremely cute, eating cookies and looking up at his mother, probably asking for more! 

Thinking about cookies, Ryeowook got up and walked slowly to the kitchen to see whether they have mixer and baking trays. 

She was about to step into the kitchen area when she saw 2 helpers, Lili and Mona, talking to each other facing the cabinet, peeling groundnuts. 

Smiling, Ryeowook wanted to ask them about the mixer, when she heard them talking about her! Surprised, she stepped back and stood behind the kitchen entrance. 

Ryeowook heard the younger girl, Lili, said "Do you know that she was already pregnant when she and master Kyuhyun got married? It must be a child out of wedlock. She must have seduced master Kyuhyun! You know master Kyuhyun is not a playboy and is a very good and well mannered guy. She must be the one forcing him to marry her!"

"Aishhh, you didn't know the full story, don't say anyhow...." the older girl, Mona, told Lili. 

"It's true! She was already pregnant! Old master Cho must be blinded by the news of getting a great grandchild, that's why he treated her well. Everybody is fool by her! She looked so plain and humble, yet very scheming. Poor master Kyuhyun, fell into her trap!" Lili said with disgust. 

Ryeowook closed because she was shocked that the helpers think of her that way. Pregnant out of wedlock?? She sacrificed herself to be a surrogate mother to pay for her father's medical fees, and this was what others thought of her? They thought that she is a cheap woman?? 

Her tears started pouring down, and still closing , Ryeowook stepped away from the kitchen and half ran towards the staircase, hoping that nobody saw her teary face.

But she bumped into mother-in-law, Mrs Shim and the head helper Song ahjumoni.

"Goodness Wookie darling, what happened?? Why are you crying??" her mother-in-law was shocked to see her teary-faced precious daughter-in-law. They had just got back from the market and the first thing she saw was Wookie running towards the staircase.

Ryeowook bowed at her and turned and ran up the staircase. She was too distraught to face her mother-in-law.

"Wookie, don't run!" Mrs Cho called up to her.

"Hanna-eonnie, you go after her. I bring these carriers to the kitchen" Mrs Shim urged her to follow Ryeowook.

Mrs Cho nodded and turned to go  up hurriedly to her precious daughter-in-law. She must find out what went wrong!