Grateful

Surrogate

 

"What's wrong dear..." Mrs Cho sat on the bed with her daughter-in-law, and put her arm around her.

"Ommonim, I'm okay, don't worry" Ryeowook said, wiping her tears.

"Tell me..... " Mrs Cho insisted.

Knowing that her mother-in-law would not leave until she told her what happened, Ryeowook had no choice but to pour out everything.

"Ommonim, I'm not that kind of woman, my intention of taking up the surrogacy is only to help my father. It's just that Kyu-Kyu and me fell in love with each other along the way..."

"I know I know... my poor daughter. I will set the record straight, okay, you don't worry about that" she hugged Ryeowook. When she slowly let her go, suddenly Ryeowook cringe painfully "Are you okay? You shouldn't run like that, it's dangerous for the baby" Mrs Cho soothed her hair. She loved her daughter-in-law a lot and she was thankful that her son found such a good wife.

Ryeowook nodded "Just the usual cramp I think... it would be okay after a while" 

Mrs Cho still have that worried look on her face, but maybe she should let her daughter-in-law rest. "Oh yes, by the way, Kyuhyun said that he is coming back for lunch, so you lie down first and get some rest okay dear?"

Ryeowook nodded "Thank you ommonim". After her mother-in-law left, Ryeowook lie down, hoping that her pain will ease. Thinking back about what the helper, Lili had said, Ryeowook admitted that she couldn't stop what people will say about being pregnant before the wedding. Had she remained single while carrying on the surrogacy, people would surely threw remarks similar to what Lili had said, without knowing the real situation. 

She suddenly missed her father. Usually when she faced with problems, she would talked to him, and eventhough he could not respond, he would listen and and looked at her with pity. She started crying again but eventually doze off. 

Kyuhyun stepped into the mansion and immediately heard loud voices coming from the kitchen. Baffled, he hastily went there and was surprised to see his grandfather reprimanding the younger helper, Lili. 

"Harabuji, what happen?" Kyuhyun asked, seeing that their young helper crying and asking for forgiveness. Something must have made harabuji mad, because he hardly scold their helpers. 

Harabuji turned to him "You should be angry with her too for bad-mouthing your wife!" 

"What, bad-mouthing Ryeong? What do you mean? Where's Ryeong?" 

Mrs Cho said "She has bad cramps just now after being so upset with what Lili said. She's upstairs, resting" 

"What happened, omma?" Kyuhyun wanted to know because he wouldn't tolerate anybody bad-mouthing his wife either. 

"Lili, you tell Master Kyuhyun yourself, what you told Mona" Mrs Cho told Lili. 

Lili was too ashamed to look at Kyuhyun. She knew the real story now about young Mrs Cho, and felt ashamed that she had jumped to conclusion without checking the truth. Slowly, with shame, she told Kyuhyun what was her conversation about. "I'm truly sorry Master Kyuhyun. I didn't know young Mrs Cho was at the kitchen entrance and heard what I said. I'm truly sorry". 

"What makes you think that she's pregnant out of the wedlock? Am I that kind of person to do that to her? She sacrificed herself to help her father and she bravery went through something that she was even scared off herself, just for her father's treatment. She worked at 2 places and sometimes she don't even have money to buy her own lunch, do you know that?" Kyuhyun said calmly but with an angry tone. 

"I know now, Master Kyuhyun, I'm so sorry..." Lili cried again. 

"Ajumoni, follow me to my study and get her salary, and advertise for a new helper" harabuji told the head helper and left the kitchen, not even looked back at Lili. 

"Mona, help Lili to pack and once she got her salary, make sure that she leaves this mansion" Mrs Shim told Mona. 

"Yes ma'm" Mona bowed and gestured Lili to get up and to pack her stuff. 

Kyuhyun hastily went up to his bedroom. His poor wife. He couldn't imagine how she must have felt when she heard the accusation. 

Ryeowook woke up when she felt that she was being pulled into somebody's arm. She opened her eyes and Kyuhyun was kissing her forehead and wiping her tears, and she was in his arms. "Kyu-Kyu..." she said with a small smile. She must have fallen asleep! 

"How are you?" he cradled her and soothed her hair lovingly. 

Ryeowook looked baffled "You knew?" 

Kyuhyun nodded and said "I'm sorry that our helper threw such remarks without knowing the truth. She has apologised and harabuji has asked her to leave"

"Ohhh..." Ryeowook said sadly. She never intended for Lili to get sacked, and now she felt bad about it. 

"I myself will not tolerate such behaviour. Even if they want to talk behind our back, they need to find out the truth, and not just jump to conclusions..." Kyuhyun said with disgust.  And he turned his attention back to his wife, who was now touching her tummy "Are you still having cramps? Should I call Dr Jang?" 

"I don't know why the pain didn't go away, even after I slept" she said and tried to get up, but cringe in pain. 

Kyuhyun became more worried "Stay here, I call Dr Jang" 

Ryeowook held Kyuhyun's arm "Kyu... I... I.. think I'm bleeding" she lifted her dress and saw the blood. 

"What?!! Ohmygod!!" Kyuhyun quickly scooped her up and called his mother while coming down the staircase. 

"Omma, Ryeong is bleeding. I'm sending her to the hospital" he said hastily. 

"I go with you. You drive, I sit with Ryeowook at the back. Ajumoni, can you get some thick towels?" Mrs Cho instructed the head helper while she grabbed her handbag. 

Ajumoni ran back with towels and Mrs Cho thanked her and told her to inform harabuji. She quickly followed Kyuhyun out to his car. 

Mrs Cho placed the towels on the back seat, and Kyuhyun carefully put his wife down. "I'll call Dr Jang on the way. You'll be alright soon, okay" he kissed her forehead and let his mother came in to sit with Ryeowook. 

Dr Jang was ready with stretcher when Kyuhyun reached the hospital. Ryeowook was in pain and had gripped her mother-in-law's hand tightly when they were in the car. She didn't want to loose her baby. She blamed herself for running up the staircase and causing harm to her baby. 

Ryeowook was wheeled in to an emergency ward and Mrs Cho urged her son to go with her and that she would settle the registration. Kyuhyun passed Ryeowook's tote bag to his mother. Luckily he remembered and managed to grab it just now before he dashed off carrying his wife. 

Ryeowook might suffer a miscarriage had Kyuhyun delayed taking her to the hospital. Dr Jang was thankful that she could save Ryeowook's pregnancy and gave her an injection to strengthen her womb. The poor girl had earlier lost consciousness due to intense pain and the poor husband was worried beyond words. 

"Her pregnancy is saved and okay now. We will cleaned her up and wheel her to a ward. She has to be on total bed-rest and this time I want her to be here, in this hospital and not at home. We need to monitor your baby everyday" Dr Jang told Kyuhyun, who was so thankful that his wife and baby would be okay. 

Kyuhyun was informed of the ward number and he in turn, texted his mother the ward number too. His mom told him that she had completed the registration and now queing to buy lunch. 

The ward was a 1st class single room and there was a seater area complete with a set of sofa seaters and a table. There was a water dispenser too, and beverages. 

When his mom arrived, Ryeowook was still unconscious, so his mom asked him to eat lunch. 

"I don't have appetite omma, but thanks for buying" 

"You still have to eat. When Wook needs to go toilet, at least you can carry her" 

Kyuhyun sighed. His poor wife. She had just recovered from rashes, and now this happened. He was thankful that he had decided to come home for lunch, else he really dare not think what would happen to his wife and their baby. 

He relented and sat down to eat with his mother.

"Wook is in how many weeks of pregnancy?" his mother asked him.

"18th week, omma, so coming to 5 months. I think because of the rashes, that's why her womb was not strong..."

"Yeah maybe. And I can imagine how distraught she must have felt after she heard that stupid Lili's words. I'm sorry Kyu, I should have asked Wook to go up and rest before I went marketing with your aunt and ajumoni"

"Aishhh omma, don't blame yourself. This is a wake up call for me actually, to really put Ryeong on my top priority from now on. She has been my priority, but work would always come first. Now I know, what I treasure most is her. I will work from here and go home only to bathe and to change"

Mrs Cho nodded. She was glad that her son turned out to be a good husband and very responsible, and at the same time, he never let down harabuji in their business aspect. She was proud of her Kyuhyun!!

After his lunch, and after his mom has left, Kyuhyun had requested Siwon to send his laptop and some documents to the hospital as he would be working from there. Siwon promised to send over in an hour's time. Kyuhyun thanked him, and walked over to sit next to his wife bed. He felt sad that Ryeong has to go through all these and he couldn't imagine if she wasn't married to him, how could she face all these alone. 

He sighed. He held her hand and kissed it, and put his head down on the bed next to her, still holding her hand. 

Ryeowook woke up, feeling tired and noticing that she was in a hospital ward, tried to recall what happened.  And she couldn't lift up her right hand. She slowly turned to her right, and saw Kyuhyun's head with his hand holding her hand. She felt so touch that she has such a loving husband.

"Kyu-Kyu...." she called him softly, and squeezed his hand. 

Kyuhyun opened his eyes and turned his head to look at her. He jolted up "Ryeong! You are awake! How are you feeling?"

"Tired" she said. "Our baby...?" she asked, fearing the worst. Did she lost her baby? She won't ever forgive herself if she lost her baby. 

"He's safe. He is still comfortably inside your tummy" Kyuhyun smile, much to Ryeowook's relieved. Kyuhyun got up and kissed her forehead "Do you want to eat something? The nurse came with porridge just now but you were still unconscious..." he asked gently. 

Ryeowook nodded, and asked "Have you eaten?" 

"Yes, omma bought me a pack of rice. She sent her regards before she left. She's visiting abunim and i think appa picked her up" 

"I've caused a lot of people to worry about me..." she said sadly. 

"Ryeong, don't say that... my family members all love you and care about you a lot. You are a gem in our family, you know..." he kissed her hand. "Okay I'll get the nurse to bring in your porridge okay" he smile and got up. 

15 minutes later, Kyuhyun was feeding his wife, as usual despite her objections, when Siwon arrived. 

He bowed and said "Hi Kyu, hi Mrs Cho, how are you?" 

"Ohhh Siwon-ssi, thank you, I feel better now, getting pampered by him" she smile and pointed at Kyuhyun, making Siwon laughed. Ryeowook turned to her husband "You go ahead, I can feed myself" 

"Just a few more spoon, it's finishing" he insisted. Then he turned to Siwon "Bro, sit at the sofa, make yourself comfortable first" he smile at his friend who is also his deputy. 

"No worries, take your time boss" Siwon laughed. He opened up Kyuhyun's backpack and took out his laptop, and arranged the documents for discussions with Kyuhyun later. 

After their discussions, Siwon finally left 2 hours later. Dr Jang came to check on Ryeowook and was happy that both mummy and baby were stable. She would check on her again the next day.

Harabuji, Kyuhyun's parents and Mr and Mrs Shim came next and Kyuhyun's mother brought along a a bag with toiletries, towel, and clothings for Kyuhyun.  Kyuhyun took his shower in the adjoining bathroom since his family were there to look after his wife. And Mrs Cho also insisted to feed her daughter-in-law's evening meal, despite Ryeowook's repeated protest. 

Everybody were babying her especially harabuji, and Ryeowook felt so overwhelmingly grateful that they loved and treated her like their own family.  She would surely missed her mother-in-law the most as both her in-laws would be flying back to London in two days time. Changmin and his sister dropped by too and the whole ward were like a mini family gathering! And by the time they all left, it was already past 8pm. 

As usual, Kyuhyun lie down besides her and pull her into his arms so that she could sleep. 

"Kyu-Kyu, it's more comfortable if you sleep at the sofa..." Ryeowook said, pitying him squeezing next to her. 

"You didn't want me here?" Kyuhyun feigned sadness. 

"Of course I want, what I mean is...." 

Kyuhyun laughed "Believe me, I rather be here and have you in my arms. I can sleep better" and he pull her closer. 

Ryeowook smile because Kyuhyun was such a wonderful husband. But she still feel bad for causing all the troubles "I'm sorry for what happened... I shouldn't have run up the staircase like that..." 

Kyuhyun silenced her by kissing her lips "Let forget about what happened and just concentrate on getting better. I want both you and baby to be well again and we can happily go through this pregnancy journey together. And you need to be healthy after our son is born, for our 2nd baby..." 

Ryeowook pinched him and Kyuhyun laughed out loud "I want our 2nd baby to be conceived naturally..." 

"Yes, but at least 2 years later..." 

Kyuhyun laughed again and cuddled her "Whatever, I just want our next baby to be naturally conceived... " and he tilted her face to kiss her. "Let's sleep. You need to rest" 

"Thank you for being such a wonderful husband. I feel so grateful to have you in my life" Ryeowook said sleepily, earning another kiss from him. She drifted off to sleep as her medications were drowsy, which were meant for her to rest. 

Kyuhyun smile and kissed her forehead. "I'm so grateful that you are okay, my beautiful wife. I love you so much" and he cradled her and drifted to sleep too. 

​​​​​​