News

Surrogate

 

Kyuhyun's mind went back to their first early pregnancy days with Ryeowook. They went through everything together due to the surrogation procedure. The lovely feeling when the surrogation was successful and how happy he felt when Ryeowook returned his feelings. He loved her deeply and he had vowed to take care of her forever. 

Now he blamed himself for not being there when Ryeowook went through her natural pregnancy. He was the one who wanted to have a second baby but yet he was too busy with work. She must be too tired, taking care of Hyun-Jung, baking cookies for her little business, taking care of the building and the cafe, and she went through all these alone while in her early state of pregnancy.

He sighed. He stared at his phone hoping that his mother would update him soon about his beloved wife. She must be in so much pain and he wasn't even there to share her pain. 

At the hospital, Dr Jung had arrived and after being introduced to Mrs Cho and Changmin by the nurse, she quickly went in to attend to Ryeowook, with another resident doctor and two nurses. Mrs Cho and Changmin were asked to wait outside the room, and Mrs Cho stood outside the door, saying a silent prayer that her daughter-in-law and her baby would be okay. 

"Ommonim, sit down and don't worry too much. I have confidence that the gynae will help Ryeowook" Changmin gestured his aunt to sit. 

"She must be in so much pain just now and I should have check on her earlier...." Mrs Cho said sadly, while they sit down. 

"You wanted her to rest, so don't blame yourself, ommonim. I'm just glad that we could bring her here early and Dr Jung is available. Thank God for that" Changmin said to her, reaching over to hold her hand. He had always regarded his aunt as his own mother too and cared for her. 

"Thank you Changmin. If you were not at home, I would have been so panic and couldn't think rationally and wouldn't know what to do..." she sighed. 

It was nearby an hour when Dr Jung finally opened the door, and walked towards them as they stood up. "Hi Mrs Cho and... Mr Shim, right?" and when Changmin gave a slight bow, she continued "Your daughter-in-law is fine, and we know why she got extreme cramps" she smile gently. 

"Anything wrong with her pregnancy, Dr Jung?" Mrs Cho asked anxiously. 

"Ryeowook-ssi is expecting twins! We did a thorough ultrascan and finally could see the 2nd baby, hiding behind the 1st baby. Her womb has been trying to accommodate the twins, that's why the bad cramps. Congratulations!!" Dr Jung smile widely. 

"Ohhhh ohmygod!! Thank goodness!! Thank you Dr Jung!!" Mrs Cho said with a mixture of relief and happiness!! 

"Ommonim, congratulations!! We must tell Kyu the good news!! He must be worried sick!" Changmin happily told his aunt, and she nodded happily. 

"We need Ryeowook-ssi to have total bed rest, so she has to stay here at least a week. I want to monitor the twins growth, so I will drop by everyday" Dr Jung told them. "How is Hyun-Jung? He must be a big boy now?" she asked Mrs Cho. 

"He is a big boy and very cheeky! He couldn't keep still, that's why I think his mother got easily tired. We'll bring him here one of these days" Mrs Cho grinned. 

"Oh that's great!!" Dr Jung said happily. "Okay both of you can see Ryeowook-ssi now. She is conscious after we gave her a jab, and I've told her about the twins. But she is very week, so I've asked the nurse to bring a bowl of porridge. It should be served soon" Dr Jung told them, and added "Ohh and do press the button at the side of the bed, to call a nurse if she wants to go to the washroom, okay. Don't let her walk on her own" she said, opening the door and gestured them into the room. 

"Thank you, Dr Jung" Changmin said appreciatively. 

Mrs Cho dashed to the bedside and held Ryeowook's hand. She loved her daughter-in-law just as much as she loved her own kids. Changmin took a chair and guided his aunt to sit. 

"Ommonim...." Ryeowook opened her eyes and turned to her. "Hyun-Jung....?" 

"Don't worry about him, my mum is taking care and she just texted me that he's sleeping" Changmin was the one answering Ryeowook. 

Ryeowook smile "Thank you, Changmin. Please convey my thanks to your mother..." 

"I will. How are you?" he stepped nearer, standing next to Mrs Cho. 

"Tired" she smile, and then remembered to ask "Did I fainted?" 

"Yes, Wook. You gave me a fright because you looked so pale. Luckily Changmin is at home. He carried you down and we rushed you here" Mrs Cho told Ryeowook gently. 

"I'm so sorry, ommonim for troubling you and thank you very much, both of you, for rushing me here" Ryeowook said sadly. 

"It was no trouble, don't worry, dear. And I'm so happy to hear the news!! You are pregnant with twins!!" Mrs Cho happily clasped Ryeowook's hand. 

"I was so surprise too, ommonim. No wonder the cramp was so bad and it is worst than my first pregnancy" she smile at her mother-in-law. 

"Let's call Kyu, he must be so anxious waiting for our call" Changmin said, while dialing Kyuhyun's number using video call. 

"Chwang!! How is Ryeong?" Kyuhyun asked anxiously. 

"Wait wait... Let me talk first. We have bad news and good news. Which one you want to hear first?" Changmin purposely prolong Kyuhyun's egony. 

"Chwang...! Aishhhh.... okay okay bad news first..." Kyuhyun sounded impatient. 

Mrs Cho and Ryeowook glanced at each other and chuckled. Ryeowook wanted to sit up, so Mrs Cho quickly adjusted her bed and put on another pillow behind her back. 

"The bad news is, your wife has to be warded for a week because she needs total bedrest" Changmin told him. 

"Ohhh thank goodness, I thought what bad news. So where is she?" Kyuhyun asked anxiously again. 

"Wait... be patient. You haven't hear the good news yet" Changmin wanted to laugh but held it back. 

"Tell me quick you dimwit!!" Kyuhyun gestured that he wanted to punch Changmin, making Changmin laughed. 

"Whoahhh so impatient..." Changmin laughed. "The reason for Wook's extreme cramp is....." 

"What, quick, tell me!?...I'm really gonna punch you when I'm back there" Kyuhyun told him. 

Changmin laughed "Kyu, Wook is expecting a twin. You are having twins for your 2nd baby!!" 

"What??? Ohmygod!! Ohmygod!! Chwang, you are not pulling my leg, right?" and when Changmin shook his head and laughed, Kyuhyun continued "Can...can.. you pass your phone to her??" 

"Okay okay, wait... ommonim is here too..." he said and brought his phone passed Mrs Cho, who waved at him, and then to Ryeowook. 

Ryeowook took the phone and thanked him "Hi Kyu-Kyu...." she said weekly and gave him a small wave. 

"Ryeong, ohmygod, Ryeong, we are getting a twin!!!!" he asked her happily. "I wish I'm there now.... I want to hug you so much...! How are you feeling?" 

"I'm okay, just feeling very tired. I'm surprise too that our second baby will be twins!! Is harabuji with you?" 

"He is still having a drink with Mr Teik at the cafe downstairs. He should be coming up soon. I think he will be so trill to hear this news!!" he grinned.

Mrs Cho moved closer and Ryeowook turned the phone towards her "Kyu, tell harabuji that he'll be getting 2 new grandkids. I bet he will ask, who else got pregnant?..." Mrs Cho laughed. 

"Omma, that's a good idea! I will tell him that!!" Kyuhyun laughed too. 

"Okay I think we should let Wook rest. Kyu, you can see her in one week's time when you are back. I'll bring her phone tomorrow morning so that you can call her, okay?" Changmin popped over his head next to Mrs Cho. 

Mrs Cho turned back the phone towards Ryeowook and gestured her to speak. 

"Kyu-Kyu, you need to catch some sleep too. Talk to you tomorrow okay?" Ryeowook smile at him. 

"I miss you, Ryeong. I can't wait to be there with you...." 

"I miss you too"

"I love you. You have a good rest and sleep, okay?" 

"Okay. Goodnight Kyu-Kyu" Ryeowook waved at him and off the connection. She passed back the phone to Changmin and thanked him. 

A nurse came in with a bowl of porridge and Changmin helped to push the adjustable table towards Ryeowook. Mrs Cho helped to pour a glass of warm water for her precious daughter-in-law. "Go ahead and eat, dear" she gestured her to eat. 

Ryeowook thanked her and started eating. She didn't realised she was hungry until she finished the whole bowl! 

"Wook, you want me to get something else for you? Bread or pastries, or pizza?" Changmin asked taking the bowl and pushing back the table to the front of the bed area. Mrs Cho helped Ryeowook to clean . 

"No need, Changmin, it's okay, I'm full. Just that I didn't realised I was hungry" she chuckled.

"You are eating for 3 now, so you need to eat more..." Mrs Cho reminded her. 

"Yes, ommonim, I must get use to the idea that I'm carrying two babies now..." Ryeowook smile at her. "Ommonim and Changmin, I feel better now. You should go home and rest. If I need anything, I will call the nurse". 

Mrs Cho discussed something with Changmin, then nodded at Ryeowook "Okay Wook dear, we'll go home first and Changmin will send me here again tomorrow morning. You get some sleep and remember to press the buzzer for the nurse and don't go to the washroom alone" Mrs Cho reminded her. 

"I will, ommonim, don't worry" Ryeowook smile at her to assure her that she was okay now, then she looked up at Changmin "Drive safely, Changmin" Ryeowook gave him a slight bow and waved at him. 

An hour later, a nurse helped Ryeowook to go to the washroom and then after washing her face, she was assisted back to her bed. She thanked the nurse and the room light was dim, so that Ryeowook could sleep. 

Ryeowook did a little prayer that her babies would be okay, that Hyun-Jung would behaved himself and didn't look for her tonight, and that Kyuhyun would be safe in Taipei. Then she pulled the blanket and tried to sleep. 

She felt strange when she woke up the next morning, because usually, she would see Kyuhyun's face, or hearing Hyun-Jung's crying voice. Then she remembered that she was in a hospital. Ohhhh and her twins! She touched her tummy happily and really wished that her hubby was here. How she missed his warm embrace.. 

In the afternoon, Changmin sent Mrs Cho and Hyun-Jung to the hospital and the little boy was so happy to be reunited with his mummy that he didn't want to leave when Mrs Cho told him that his mummy needed to sleep, a few hours later. 

"I don't want. I want mummy" he said stubbornly. 

"Jung-ahh, do you want to be a good big brother?" Ryeowook asked him, and he nodded eagerly. "Then you need to go home with halmeoni first, so that your two baby siblings can sleep. They will know that their big brother loves them so much and let them have some sleep. And you need to sleep too, to be strong, to take care of them" Ryeowook coaxed him. 

"Two baby?" he asked confusedly. 

"Two babies. Yes you will have 2 younger brother or sister. Do you like it?" Ryeowook smile at him. 

"Yes!! I want 2 sister" he showed his two fingers, making Ryeowook and Mrs Cho laughed because he looked so cute. 

"Okay my darling, we go home first so that your 2 sisters can sleep. We come here again tomorrow okay?" Mrs Cho coaxed her grandson. 

"Okay" he said happily. As long as he could be with his mummy again, he was okay with it. He missed both his daddy and mummy, but it was okay because he got to talk to his daddy on the phone. "Mummy, love you" he said cutely, and hugged his mummy. 

Ryeowook teared "I love you darling. Don't be naughty and listen to halmeoni okay? I see you tomorrow, and when mummy is not sick anymore, I will bake more cookies for you" she hugged her precious son. 

"Okay mummy!" he smile happily, and let go of his mummy and gestured for his halmeoni to carry him down from the bed. 

They bid goodbyes and Ryeowook wiped her tears. She missed her precious son and missed sitting next to him and watched him did his colourings. She was also thankful when Changmin sent Mrs Cho and Hyun-Jung here, he had brought along Ryeowook's laptop and her phone, as per her request, so that she could do some work, at least she could make herself useful.

She switched on her laptop, and checked her emails. After reading and replying some emails, she sent an email to the building management that she would cancel Friday's meeting, as she was not feeling well, and they could update her via emails. 

She texted Kyuhyun too, to let him know that her handphone was with her now, in case he wanted to call her later after his meeting with Mr Teik. 

After dinner, she received a text from Kyuhyun, asking her to rest early.  She stared at her phone. "Why didn't Kyu-Kyu call me?" she asked herself. Probably he was busy, she tood herself. She replied him and prepared to sleep. 

Several hours must have passed, because she felt that she was in a deep sleep, when suddenly she felt being kissed several times throughout her face, forehead, cheek, chin, nose and lips. 

She opened her eyes slowly and tried to focus on a face, who was smiling at her. 

"Kyu-Kyu??" she asked the person confusedly. "Aren't you in Taipei??.."