Worried

Surrogate

 

Kyuhyun got his lawyer to print 2 copies of the agreement letter after he has checked through, on Monday morning. Basically, when the pregnancy was confirmed and passed the first trimester, Kyuhyun would pay a quarter of the agreed sum of the money first.  The agreed sum was 15million Won. The IVF, checkups and other expenses would be Kyuhyun's responsibility to pay as well. 

The surrogate mother need to give full rights for Kyuhyun to have the baby 2 weeks after she has given birth, and he would pay her the remaining agreed sum of money. They would part ways thereafter.

Somehow, the last part of the agreement made him feel sad if he would have to part ways with Miss Kim. His heart felt like quenching painfully. He had wanted to scrap that sentence off, but his lawyer advised him to leave it there. 

Kyuhyun managed to arrive just after 4.30pm outside the cafe. His meeting with a client ended about 15 minutes ago and he drove straight to Myeongdong. Miss Kim was not out yet, so he texted her. 

"Mr Cho, I'm at the pharmacy diagonally opposite the cafe to buy my father's milk pack".

Kyuhyun turned to look for the pharmacy and spotted it. He texted back "Okay I'll come over" and he got out of his car. 

Ryeowook was about to reply that he don't have to come over when she saw him opening the glass door. "Mr Cho, you can just wait in the car". 

"I'm sorry I was late. Come, let me carry the basket" Kyuhyun said, and took the basket. He saw there were 6 packs. "Why don't you take more packs? At least to last you for 2 weeks". 

Ryeowook looked down, feeling a bit embarrassed "I don't have enough money. After i received my weekly pay from Seven-Eleven next week, then i will get another 6 packs". 

Kyuhyun took another 8 packs so that she has 14 packs for 2 weeks, and took out his wallet. 

Ryeowook stopped him. "No, Mr Cho... ". 

"Let me pay for you. I already said that I want to help you..." 

"That was for my father's hospital bills..!" 

Kyuhyun smile at her sincerity. This girl didn't want to take advantage of him and she rather carry her problems to herself. 

"I will pay okay and don't argue. Do you need anything else? Oilment, or a new tube or bandages?" 

Ryeowook looked down, unsure of what to say. 

"Miss Kim...., don't keep your problems to yourself. I really want to help you ... " 

Ryeowook's eyes were moist. She felt too overwhelm that somebody was willing to help her. "Thank you, Mr Cho. I... am really grateful that you offer your help.." and she just couldn't stop her tears from flowing down. 

Kyuhyun had this overwhelming urge to wipe her tears, but he stopped himself. "I'm very sincere Miss Kim, please believe me". 

Ryeowook nodded, wipe her tears with her fingers and bowed respectfully at Kyuhyun. She turned around and took a few steps to take a pack of antiseptic cream, a new tube, a pack of medical bed lining, a pack of adult diapers, and a box of medical plaster. She slowly put them in the basket while mentally trying to calculate the total cost. 

Before Kyuhyun brought the basket to the counter, he grabbed another pack of adult diaper and ignored Ryeowook surprised big eyes. Ryeowook took out her small notebook to note down the total cost because she planned to minus off all these cost when Kyuhyun pay her after the baby has been delivered. 

They arrived at Ryeowook's home and Kyuhyun took the pharmacy carrier bag from the back seat, and carried it in to Ryeowook's house. 

"Mr Cho, welcome to my humble home" Ryeowook gestured him to come in, and took a pair of slippers for him. It was a cute pair of slippers with penguins on each side, while her slippers had giraffes on each side. 

Kyuhyun thanked her and looked around as he carried the pharmacy carrier bag in. Though it was a small house, it was very clean and neat. He put the carrier bag on the small table, and followed her to a bedroom. He could smell a slight pungent smell, as her father's diaper wasn't changed yet. Mr Kim seemed happy to see her daughter. Ryeowook bend down and hugged her father, and soothed his face. 

Kyuhyun walked nearer and bowed respectfully "Abunim, Cho Kyuhyun imnida". 

Ryeowook's father looked at him and nodded slightly. "Abuji, he is my friend and he helps to pay for your milk and diapers and other things. He is very kind". 

Mr Kim nodded and Kyuhyun could see that his eyes became moist. Ryeowook wipe her father's tears and smile gently. She told him that she would start cleaning him and he nodded his head.

"Mr Cho, I'll get you a drink. You can sit outside, it's more comfortable there" Ryeowook gestured him to their small living room. Kyuhyun put his backpack and removed his blazer suit and his tie, on the 2-seater couch. He took a few sips of water that Ryeowook passed to him, and chuckled because the mug was very cute, with penguin and giraffe motives all over. "This girl must have like penguin and giraffe a lot!" Kyuhyun chuckled to himself. But instead of sitting down, he followed Ryeowook back to the room, who carried a basin of warm water. 

When Ryeowook looked at him with surprised, he told her that he wanted to help clean her father. He was amazed that such a small girl was strong enough to turn her father over to clean him, and she did everything very fast, yet gentle. After she removed his soiled diaper, she wiped him clean, and put a fresh diaper. Kyuhyun helped to put antiseptic cream at some of his rashes, and helped to put on a clean pajamas on him. She changed the water and came back to wipe his face, and washed her hand again before preparing his milk. 

Seeing her heavy responsibilities, Kyuhyun was ashamed at himself for having a good life all along. Ryeowook sacrificed everything for her father. She never abandoned him when he became bedridden and she cared for him with so much love. 

After she finished all her task, they finally sat at the 2-seater couch and went through the agreement letter. 

"Ohh, I will still have 2 weeks with the baby. Thank you for this, I thought I would never see it" Ryeowook looked sad. 

"I wouldn't be so heartless as to take away the baby from it's mother immediately after it was born" he smile gently. "And don't worry, I will let you see the baby even after our agreement is over" 

"Really?" Ryeowook looked up, and when Kyuhyun nodded, she smile happily. Kyuhyun smile wider seeing her beautiful smile. She already has her mother instincts even before she's pregnant!

After she signed on both copies and added her identification number and date of birth, Kyuhyun counter-signed and gave her a copy. "Can you pass me your father's hospital bill?" 

"I really didn't want to trouble you, Mr Cho... " 

"And I really don't see this as troublesome..." 

Ryeowook thought for a while, then went to her room and took the bill, and passed it to him. "I don't know how to thank you..." 

"Your agreeing to be a surrogate mother is already meant a lot to me" Kyuhyun smile. "Go and get ready, I'll send you to your Seven-Eleven". 

Ryeowook looked at her watch "Ohmygod. Give me 15 minutes to bathe and get ready" and she got up and ran to her room. 

Kyuhyun took a snapshot of his agreement letter, and then kept the hardcopy in his backpack. He finished his drink and got up to look around. There were 2 family photos on a book shelf. One was when Ryeowook was small, and another one must be before the accident. Ryeowook mother was beautiful, just like Ryeowook herself. A beautiful family indeed. 

Kyuhyun brought his mug to the kitchen and washed it. Even the kitchen was so clean and tidy. The bathroom door opened and Kyuhyun turned around. Ryeowook was dashing out with her wet hair and a towel wrap around her fair body. She ran to her room, and didn't even realised that Kyuhyun was in the kitchen. He could smell her shampoo and shower gel. 

Kyuhyun was not sure why he found her shower smell so intoxicating. He beginning to love her smell, love seeing her smile, love her thankful face, in fact, love everything about her! He shook his head and went to the living room to put on his blazer suit and kept his tie in his backpack. 

Ryeowook came out looking fresh, hair neatly combed, and in a Seven-eleven uniform. Even with no make-up, she looked so pretty. She put down her tote bag, dashed to her father's room, closed his door quietly and off the kitchen lights.

Both of them put on their shoes and once outside, Ryeowook locked her front door. 

"What's your seven-eleven address?" and when Ryeowook told him, he input it in his GPS, and started driving. "What time you finish your work?" 

"1am. But please, you don't have to fetch me" 

"How do you normally go home?" 

"There's a last bus at 1.15am, but it didn't go all the way here to my bus stop. So I walked the rest of the way" 

"What? It dangerous to walk alone" 

Ryeowook chuckled "I'm used to it. I only met drunk people and sometimes some weirdo loitering around. If they disturb me, i just ran all the way home!" Ryeowook giggled. 

Somehow Kyuhyun became worried. She walked alone at 1plus am! And next time if she's pregnant....? 

"Miss Kim, if I hire a cab to fetch you home every night, will you accept this arrangement? I don't think i can sleep at night knowing you walking back alone at that wee hours in the morning" 

"What? No! You don't have to! I'm used to it, don't worry" 

"It's either I hire a cab, or I fetch you myself" 

"No, Mr Cho... please, no..." 

"I'll text you. Is this the place?" Kyuhyun saw the seven-eleven ahead at the corner. 

"Yes" Ryeowook unbuckled her seat belt and turned to him, bowing slightly "Thank you very much, Mr Cho. And seriously, you don't have to fetch me. Please, have a good rest and thank you again". She got out from the car, waved at him and walked quickly to the seven-eleven glass door. 

Kyuhyun took a deep breath. He waited until she was safely inside and then he slowly drove off. How could he not be worried? At 1plus am, she walked home alone! "What should I do?" he asked himself. "Maybe i sleep early and woke up before 1am and fetch her?".  He made up his mind to do exactly that. 

And he was there waiting for her at 1am, eventhough she replied his text asking him not to fetch her and for him to rest. He knew he must be crazy but he won't be able to sleep worrying about her safety! 
 
"Mr Cho, I'm not going in your car. I'm taking a bus!" she told him off when he wind down his window and then she marched off. Kyuhyun quickly opened his car door and ran after her. 

"Miss Kim, please get in the car. It's late at night!" Kyuhyun caught hold of her hand. 

Ryeowook turned around and said "I cannot be pampered by you like this. After the baby is born, then what? All these will be gone. I can't let you do this..." 

"But I am sincerely worried..." 

"Then might as well you buy me a car!" 

"Should I?..." and why he never thought of that?!! 

"No....!!!" 

"Get in the car please..." 

Ryeowook looked at his worried face and relented. She marched back to Kyuhyun's car and got in. When they were near to her house, suddenly a drunk guy blocked their car. Luckily Kyuhyun was driving slowly as all these side roads were narrow. The drunk guy smashed his bottle on the floor and bang Kyuhyun's car bonnet with his fist and pointed at Ryeowook and muttered something. Ryeowook became scared and closed her eyes. Kyuhyun quickly swerved his car and drove off. 

"And you said it's not dangerous..." Kyuhyun nagged at her when they stopped outside her house. 

"Not every time there were drunk guys..." 

"Go in and locked your door"

"Thank you" Ryeowook said, and bowed slightly at him. She was too embarrassed to look at his face. 

"I'll text you once I have the appointment date for our hospital checkup" Kyuhyun said gently. 

"Okay thank you. Goodnight Mr Cho" Ryeowook glanced at him and smile. 

"Go in. I wait here until you are inside". 

Ryeowook nodded and got out. She unlocked her door, then turned back to look at Kyuhyun and bowed slightly. She went in and locked her door. 

Kyuhyun sighed. This can't go on. It's too dangerous for her to come home at this hour. He knew that she won't take any more money from him if he asked her to stop this seven-eleven job. 

Suddenly an idea came to his mind! Why not offer her to work at his apartment? Like clean his home and cook for him? That way, he got to pay her and he won't be too worried! 

"I'm a genius!" Kyuhyun smile proudly at himself. He started his car and drove back home.