Procedure

Surrogate

 

"So, am I getting a great grandchild soon?" Kyuhyun's grandfather asked him sternly. Kyuhyun had came to update him on the company's weekly progress and to get his signature on some documents. 

"Harabuji, I've already found someone who's willing to be a surrogate mother, so if the IVF implant procedure is successful, and if she's pregnant, yes, you will see your great grandchild". 

"And who is that lady?" 

"Somebody nice, humble and beautiful, and she needs the money for her father's hospital checkups and medication" 

"Are you treating her well?" 

"Yes harabuji.  But she always refuses my help.  She is very humble and hardworking and she rather work for it to earn the money" Kyuhyun said, looking down, and smiling fondly whenever he thought of Ryeowook. 

Old Mr Cho smile to himself. This was what he has been hoping for. He wanted Kyuhyun to slow down and find a girl of his dream and not just concentrated on working all the time. But Kyuhyun would just ignore him whenever he brought up the subject of marriage. So he deviced this plan for Kyuhyun, so that he could find somebody that he  truly love. 

"Do you like her?" 

Kyuhyun looked up at his grandfather, surprised at his question. "I actually do like her harabuji. In fact, I like her a lot. I'm always worried when she goes back alone late at night after her 2nd job ended. I wanted to fetch her everyday but she didn't allow me to. She didn't want me to sacrifice my sleep just to fetch her"

"She is okay to go through this IVF process?" 

"To be honest, harabuji, she is very scared. She told me that she wished she could hold my hand. I guess she just need somebody to be there" 

"And did you..?" 

"No, I didn't. I thought it wasn't appropriate but I did very much like to be there with her" 

"Then you should" old Mr Cho said and then dismissed him as he told Kyuhyun that he wanted to rest. 

Kyuhyun left, walking back to his car with a deep thought. Should he be there with her tomorrow and held her hand? But tomorrow's procedure would be to extract her egg. How could he be there to watch...? 

Meanwhile, Ryeowook felt feverish and she wasn't sure whether it was because she was scared of tomorrow's procedure, or she was really sick. She felt fine though. Throughout the whole day on that Monday, her mind was on the IVF procedure.

"Haiz, the doctor will just remove my egg, that's all" she kept reminding herself.

She asked her lady boss whether she could apply for another 1/2 day leave tomorrow afternoon, and she got nagged non-stop by her lady boss. Ryeowook's ear felt like dropping off because of the loud nagging. Her lady boss threatened to deduct her pay if she applied for another day's leave. Ryeowook sighed. She would still need to apply leave for the IVF insertion.  So, looks like she wouldn't get her full salary this month. She sighed again. 

Kyuhyun picked her up the next day, for their hospital appointment. Ryeowook was quiet the whole journey, partly because of her sadness that she wouldn't get her full salary and also her nervousness for the upcoming procedures. She saw that Kyuhyun had bring along a copy of their identification cards in a plastic folder, and he had placed it on his dashboard, to bring along for their appointment. 

"What's wrong? Or are you hungry and want to eat first?"  Kyuhyun asked with concerned. 

"No, let's eat after the procedure" 

"Okay" Kyuhyun said, and glanced at her. "Scared?" 

Ryeowook sighed "Yes..." and she looked down at her hand. 

"I'll accompany you after I'm done with mine okay" 

"What do you have to do?" 

Kyuhyun chuckled. "Your egg needs ..." 

"Ahhh yes, sorry, I forgot..." Ryeowook said, embarrassed with her question. "But I guess it's easier for guys to do it"

"Mmmm... not really. Maybe if I think of you later, I can do it faster" Kyuhyun .

Ryeowook looked at him with her big eyes.

"Or maybe you want to help me??"

"No!!!...." Ryeowook said with horror, earning a loud laugh from Kyuhyun. She grabbed the plastic folder and playfully beat him. 

"I was just joking!..." Kyuhyun burst out laughing. Ryeowook ended up laughing too. 

She wasn't sure when they had started feeling comfortable with each other and she could easily talk to him too. She could never talked to other people before this, other than her parents.

At the hospital, after their registration, they were shown to the doctor's room. Dr Jang was also a gynaecologist and a fertility expert. Kyuhyun was given a plastic container with his name, and before he left to go to the gents, he glanced at Ryeowook who tried to suppress her laughter.

Ryeowook was asked to remove her and changed into a surgical gown, and to lie down at the surgical bed. There was an additional equipment on each side of the bed. She took a deep breath while the nurse cleaned her entrance, and then covered her with surgical blanket. She was told that Dr Jang would be here soon.

Less than 15 minutes, Ryeowook heard that Kyuhyun came back. "Wow, that was fast!" Ryeowook chuckled.

Kyuhyun was telling something to the nurse, and the nurse informed him to put on a surgical gown over his shirt. Dr Jang came in and they exchanged greetings and Dr Jang asked him to enter the curtain from the other end, which was near to Ryeowook's head.

"Hi..." Kyuhyun smile at Ryeowook and sat at a stool next to her. He held her left hand.

"That was fast" Ryeowook whispered.

Kyuhyun used his hand which was holding her hand to playfully beat her. Ryeowook felt that she became less scared, now that Kyuhyun was there.

However, she was horrified when the nurse lifted her leg up and placed each leg  on that equipment. It was actually a stand for the knees and now she became embarrassed because Kyuhyun was there.

"I won't look, don't worry" Kyuhyun whispered at her.

Dr Jang asked her to relax because she was very tensed. Who wouldn't be if her legs were opened wide and Dr Jang and the nurse could clearly see her entrance!!! Luckily Kyuhyun was seated next to her head!! 

Ryeowook took a deep breath and closed her eyes when she felt Dr Jang's hand at her entrance. She gripped Kyuhyun's hand when Dr Jang slowly inserted an instrument, and just like the previous time, she felt some pain. She closed her eyes tightly, and Kyuhyun used his thumb to soothe her hand. 

The ultrasound scan started showing her womb and Dr Jang used the instrument to try to grip the egg off the wall. 

Ryeowook inhaled sharply due to pain when Dr Jang grippped the egg and slowly withdraw it out of her opening. Without realising, her tears flow down from the side of her eyes, making Kyuhyun panicked and soothed her hair. He took out his handkerchief and wipe her tears. 

Dr Jang put the egg in a surgical container held by the nurse, and asked the nurse to help Ryeowook. Kyuhyun whispered "I go out first, okay" and while getting up, he bent down and kissed Ryeowook's forehead. 

Ryeowook was surprised but felt grateful that Kyuhyun was next to her throughout the extraction. She was glad that the 1st part of the IVF process was now completed. The 2nd part would be the fertilisation of the egg with Kyuhyun's in the test tube, and then they have to come back again for the insertion of the fertilised egg back to her womb. 

After she had changed back to her normal clothing, she slowly walked out from the curtain to the doctor's table. Kyuhyun got up and help her to sit down. 

Dr Jang explained the next procedure and would call Kyuhyun once the egg has been successfully fertilised. Kyuhyun has to sign some documents for the IVF and he handed over the platic folder with copies of their identification cards. 

They left and slowly walked out to Kyuhyun's car. "We lunch somewhere else okay?" 

"Can we just packed back? I want to eat at home"

"Okay I eat with you at your home" Kyuhyun smile. 

They reached Ryeowook's home around 4pm. Her dad was sleeping, so she tidy up her small dining table so that she and Kyuhyun could eat their late lunch. 

"Was it very painful?" Kyuhyun asked, referring to her tears.

"It was uncomfortable and I felt pain, but I was also surprised that I teared. Maybe subconsciously because the egg has to leave the comfort of the womb temporarily" Ryeowook smile.

"Do you regret going through with this?"

"I don't know how to answer you. I don't regret and to be honest, right now I'm happy if I could make you happy"

Kyuhyun looked at Ryeowook. "Does that mean she has feelings for me too?" Kyuhyun asked himself happily. "Actually, it was my harabuji who asked me to give him a great grandchild...." and Kyuhyun told her the whole story.

"I see.... maybe he just wanted you to get married.." Ryeowook smile and got up to throw their takeaway containers, and refilled Kyuhyun's penguin and giraffe mug. She was using a matching mug, and she refilled her mug too. 

Kyuhyun replied her "Yes but at that time, there wasn't anybody that I like. And I didn't want to get married for the sake of getting married. I'm still old fashion. I want to fall in love and marry the girl that I truly love".

Ryeowook felt sad that she would never be the one. They are from different status and background, and she kept reminding herself that Kyuhyun would only care for her because she's the surrogate mother.

"But what about the baby? Would your future wife accept it? I mean, eventhough it was your grandfather who wanted a great grandchild, but you are still the father".

"If the girl that I like accepted me, she will love the baby with all her heart" Kyuhyun smile looking straight at her. 

Ryeowook looked up at him and felt his gaze. There was something with the way he looked at her and his eyes.... they were trying to tell her something. 

She wanted to open to say something, but then they heard her father's muffled voice. 
"Ohh father is awake" Ryeowook quickly got up and walked to his room.

Kyuhyun said to himself "Aishhh.. I should just tell her that she's the one that I love..."

He got up too and walked towards Mr Kim's bedroom to help Ryeowook.