The check-up

Surrogate

 

Their hospital checkup appointment date has been set to be the coming Friday, at 2.30pm. Kyuhyun had asked Ryeowook whether she could apply for a half day leave, and he would pick her up at 1.30pm at the usual place.

Though her lady boss was not happy, Ryeowook was thankful that she still approved the half day leave. Ryeowook was nervous during the journey to the hospital and Kyuhyun noticed that.

"Relax, I'll be there with you too"

But that was the point, she was too shy to answer personal questions with Kyuhyun around. "I'm scared of hospital. The only time I was there was when my parents had an accident and I donated blood to save my mum. But she didn't make it anyway" she said sadly.

"I'm sorry to hear that. Was that when your father became paralysed too?"

"Yes, and I have to stop my uni studies to work in order to support him. But I never regret it, coz it's my duty to look after him and he was my only family. My relatives all shunned me off after I approached them a few times for monetary help, so at that point of time, I knew that I have to stand on my own" Ryeowook wiped her tears which she herself was surprised that she was tearing. "Sorry, I babbled too much".

"Don't be. I really want to know you better, and I will help you in any way".

"You already helping me a lot. Thank you very much, Mr Cho".

Once they had registered their names, they were called in for blood test, and thereafter was asked to go to the doctor's room. Ryeowook became nervous again, making Kyuhyun very much like to hold her hand, but it wasn't appropriate yet, so he just whispered for her to relax.

After some brief introductions,  the doctor started asking Ryeowook questions about her menses, whether it was regular, any menstrual pain, the menstrual date, whether she had any before, and that they have to check her womb later. She just wanted the floor to open up so that she could jump in, to escape from Kyuhyun's attention. The doctor then called the nurse to prepare for the ultrasound scan. Wait, what?? A scan? Ryeowook started to get panic. 

Ryeowook felt horrified when the nurse asked her to remove her and put it in the basket, and to lie down. She was practically screaming to herself "Ohmygod, can they ask Kyuhyun to step out first? How can I....?". But she realised that Kyuhyun was being questioned himself on equally embarrassing questions on whether he had before, etc, so of course he could not leave the room! 

She sighed and did what she was told, and lie down on the surgical bed.  Luckily, the nurse drew the curtain around the bed. "Phew, at least Mr Cho won't see me in this state!" Ryeowook like wanted to wipe her sweat of relief! And then, ohmygod! The nurse lifted up her legs and cleaned her entrance! 

The doctor came over and when she flipped the curtain, Ryeowook could see that Kyuhyun turned to look at her direction! She quickly looked away and bit her lips. To be frank, half of her wanted Kyuhyun to hold her hand because she was scared, but the other half of her reminded herself that she was only here for a job to be surrogate mother. 

She wasn't sure though, why that thought made her extremely sad. Did she expect more from Kyuhyun? 

The doctor gently inserted something cold like a thin pen through her opening and Ryeowook felt a slight pain. She gripped her the sides of her blouse, and really wished that she could hold Kyuhyun's hand. 

In seconds, the screen started showing something. "Ohhhh it's a camera..." Ryeowook said to herself, amazed that she could see her own womb! 

"Ahhh alright, that's good. Your womb lining is healthy and you actually in ovulation now. That means your ovary has released an egg" the doctor told her gently. "We need to schedule to extract your egg soon".  She smile and gently removed that thin pen. She told the nurse to clean the insertion and to help Ryeowook up.

Ryeowook walked back to the seat next to Kyuhyun. He looked at her with concerned and Ryeowook smile slightly at him, though she still looked a bit pale. 

The doctor explained that Ryeowook's condition was excellent and that she needed to extract the egg fast and suggested the next appointment to be on Tuesday, same time. She explained further regarding the extraction procedure and after she has extracted both the egg and the , she would proceed with the fertilisation process in the test tube. After which, they would have to come back again for the fertilised egg insertion. 

Ryeowook felt surreal listening to all these. The fertilised egg would be inserted back into her womb and if successful, she would be pregnant. She closed her eyes and said to herself "Ohmygod, do I really want to do this...?" 

Suddenly she felt a warm hand covering her clasp hands. She opened her eyes and looked down, and Kyuhyun's hand was there. She looked at him and saw his sincere concerned written all over his face.

"Okay, I've set the appointment to be this coming Tuesday, at 2.30pm. I see both of you on Tuesday!" the doctor told them. Both Kyuhyun and Ryeowook stood up and shook her hand. Ryeowook bowed at her and turned around to follow Kyuhyun out.

They went for a late lunch at the hospital's cafeteria. Ryeowook was quiet throughout their walk. Kyuhyun knew that it was a big sacrifice on her part because she would be giving up her ity. He felt bad but they have both decided to go through this, so it would be too late to turn back the clock.

"You okay?" Kyuhyun asked after they have collected their food, and Ryeowook had just started eating her noodles after saying her prayers.

"To be honest, it was a mixed feelings. But don't worry, I will still go through this as promised" Ryeowook looked down. 

"Would you consider working at my home, cook for me, clean my house a bit, iron my clothing, do my laundry? You don't have to work at the cafe and at that Seven-Eleven"

Ryeowook looked up, surprised. "Why are you offering that?"

"Well, I need somebody to do my house chores, and I won't worry that you have to slog two jobs and came home late at night. You still get your salary and you can rest if you are tired during the pregnancy". 

Ryeowook knew that Kyuhyun always put her safety as his top priority, of course so that his baby would be okay, but she would be too used to his care and she would definitely suffer after they parted ways 9 months later. But it would be good to work at his home, as she could hide her tummy as her pregnancy progressed. If she were to remain working at the cafe, her lady boss and customers would think that she got pregnant out of wedlock. 

"Let me think about it...?" 

"Sure. And you can go off whatever time to feed your father". 

"Do you really need a helper? Who do your house chores now?" 

"I have a cleaning lady who comes over every Wednesday and Saturday morning to do the cleaning and ironing. But not cooking. And I do my own laundry" Kyuhyun smile. 

"I see. And you don't mind having me around everyday?" 

"Actually I love it! I got to see you everyday!" Kyuhyun said to himself. Then he said out "I'm happy to have you around and having a full time helper". 

"Thank you Mr Cho for always thinking about my wellbeing. I appreciate it" 

"You are welcome" Kyuhyun smile. "About Tuesday, will your lady boss allow you to apply for another half day?" 

"She will nag but I can just say that my father is sick". 

"Let me know if she didn't want to approve your leave, okay" 

"What will you do?" 

"I'll think of something..." Kyuhyun laughed, making Ryeowook laughed too. "She's so cute!" Kyuhyun praised her in his heart. 

"Ermmmm... this whole process of IVF.... what if I failed to get pregnant? I mean, do we need to wait for another month? And you have to pay more?" 

"I'm not sure actually. But I was told that the cost will include 3 IVF fertilisation chances, in case the first one fail. Ermmm... from what the doctor said, you are clean and healthy, so you should have a good chance to be successful!" 

"The procedure was scary just now. I don't know why I wish I could hold your hand. I guess I was too nervous" Ryeowook looked down shyly. 

Kyuhyun couldn't believe his ears. Actually just now he wanted to do just that! He was contemplating to walk over to accompany Ryeowook as he knew that she would be scared. He wanted to hold her hand and wanted to calm her down! 

"I was worried about you and I wanted to accompany you, but I thought you might not want me there..." 

Ryeowook smile shyly. So when Kyuhyun turned to look at her direction just now, he was actually worried that she would be scared. 

Somehow what Kyuhyun said made her very happy! But.... who was she to be hopping for something to happen? Kyuhyun was only interested to have his baby and she would only be the surrogate woman to him...