Embryo

Surrogate

 

The embryo development was one of the most important stage in the IVF process.  If the fertilises the egg, it becomes an embryo. The hospital lab's scientists would put the embryo into a special incubator where the conditions for growth and development mirrored the female womb, which was using a mix of amino acids, just like the female body would use, to nurture the embryo.

So the day was finally here! Ryeowook would be going through the embryo transfer into her uterus. Both Kyuhyun and Ryeowook were sitting in the gynaecologist room, and Dr Jang explained that the embryo transfer is a very simple process, like a pap smear. It takes about 5 minutes, and Ryeowook would be awake, there’s no anaesthetic, and Ryeowook could get up straight away, to continue with her day. 

Ryeowook asked shyly, since Kyuhyun was next to her "Ermmm... , sorry if I may ask, will the embryo fall out if I stand up or go to the toilet?" 

Kyuhyun suppressed his giggles because Ryeowook was so cute with her shy facial expressions, but it was a good question, because he also wanted to know. 

"No, don't worry. The lab scientist already prepare the embryo by placing it in a small tube called a catheter. It's similar to an injection tube and I will place the catheter through your cervix and into your uterus. And it would stay there and started functioning" Dr Jang explained. 

"Doctor, when will we know that she is pregnant? Can she go through normal working activities or need to do less strenuous work?" Kyuhyun asked, because he was concerned about Ryeowook working at 2 places. 

"Miss Kim will need to come back here for a final blood test, approximately two weeks after the embryo transfer, to measure her levels of the hormone hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin). If hCG is present in her bloodstream it usually means a positive pregnancy test! But yes, Miss Kim can perform normal work activities during that 2 weeks before the blood test, but not too strenuous".

Kyuhyun looked at Ryeowook, who knew what he was thinking. Obviously Kyuhyun would not allow her to continue working at Seven-Eleven as she always need to carry heavy drinks carton and boxes of stuff to replenish. She took a deep breath and looked down. 

"Ok Dr Jang, I understand. We can proceed" Ryeowook said before she changed her mind. 

Dr Jang nodded and informed her nurse to get ready and to assist Ryeowook. 

"I'll be there with you" Kyuhyun said softly to her. Ryeowook nodded and walked towards the surgical bed. 

Once the nurse said that Ryeowook was ready, Kyuhyun walked over from the other end and he could tell how nervous Ryeowook was. 

"Ryeong, I'm here, don't be scared" Kyuhyun said softly and held her hand. 

She felt better but nervous again when Dr Jang flipped the curtain, and stepped in hold the catheter tube. 

"Just relax okay, I'm going to insert it through your cervix and shoot it up to your uterus upper wall" Dr Jang said. It was easier said than done because Dr Jang wasn't the one lying on the bed getting the embryo transfer. To Ryeowook, this was it. It was now or never.

She clasped Kyuhyun hand tightly and closed her eyes as she felt Dr Jang's fingers at her opening. And just like last time, her tears flow unconsciously down to the sides. 

Kyuhyun soothed her fringe and wipe away her tears using the back of his hand. He knew it would not be easy for a person to go through this, so he really admired and felt thankful to Ryeowook for doing all this for him and for her father. 

"Ok we are done!" Dr Jang said, after she has successfully injected the embryo back to Ryeowook's uterus. She told her nurse to assist Ryeowook and to get her a glass of warm water. 

Kyuhyun helped her up and kissed her forehead before stepping out from the curtain. He waited outside the curtain until Ryeowook had put on her underwear, and after tidy up her hair, he held her hand and walked with her towards the seats. 

Dr Jang came back after washing her hands, while the nurse got a glass of water for Ryeowook. The warm water helped to calm her down and she felt better. They made appointment for the blood test to be on Saturday morning, 2 weeks from now. 

"What do you feel like eating?" Kyuhyun asked Ryeowook gently after they got in the car. 

Ryeowook looked at Kyuhyun, and said "Promise me you won't laugh" 

Kyuhyun looked at her, smiling "Just say it..." 

"No, you promise first" 

"Okay okay, I won't laugh..." 

"Can... we... eat... fried  chicken..?" 

Kyuhyun looked surprised, then tried very hard to control his laughter! He knew that she was a bit depressed, so he initially thought that she might want to eat porridge, or herbal soup or anything soupy. But he didn't expect her to say fried chicken, of all food! 

Ryeowook playfully beat him "You said you won't laugh...." 

Kyuhyun burst out laughing and tried to catch her hand from beating him "I'm sorry, but you were really funny! I thought you wanted porridge or soup..!" Kyuhyun smile happily seeing her smiling "Okay we eat fried chicken!!" 

"Yayyyy! Thank you Mr Cho!" 

"Okayyy, Let's go, Miss Kim" Kyuhyun laughed and started driving. He drove to Two Two Fried Chicken at Euljiro, and as it was after lunch time, they easily got seats. 

Ryeowook was spoilt for choice! The menu for The Fried Chicken range include Fried Chicken, Marinated Soy Bean Chicken, Teriyaki Chicken, Garlic Chicken, and Green Onion Chicken. 

Ryeowook decided on the original fried chicken, since it was cheaper, so, that was what Kyuhyun ordered. Their orders came, and she felt like she was in heaven! "Hmmm.... the Original Fried Chicken is so flavorsome, and juicy on the inside, tender on the outside! I love it!!!" 

"To tell you the truth, this is the first time I ate fried chicken in ages!" 

"Why? You can just order for delivery..." 

"I usually don't have the time, so I just grab sandwiches. That was what my grandfather always nag to me about, because I only work and work, I forgot about how to live a normal life. But ever since I know you, my life changed! It's like I'm being pull back to earth and start to see things differently, and what I enjoy most is being with you" 

"Wow..., so I'm not just a surrogate mother to your baby" 

"At the early stage, yes, but not now. If you are agreeable, I want to re-write the agreement paper" 

"What do you want to change?" 

"When it's ready, I will show it to you..." Kyuhyun smile. "By the way, you need to give me your bank account number. I need to transfer the 1st quarter of the money to you" 

"Not now, the agreement stated that once the pregnancy is confirmed and past the first trimester, then you will transfer the 1st quarter" 

"You memorised that?" 

"I read like a dozen times..." Ryeowook chuckled. 

"I still want to transfer to you.. " 

"Maybe once the pregnancy is confirmed?" 

"Some girls would just jump for joy if said I will transfer the money..."

"I'm not some girls... and I am not taking advantage of you..., except for lunch, I mean.. "  Ryeowook chuckled. was smeared with oil, so Kyuhyun took a serviette and reached over to wipe for her. 

"I want you to take advantage of me, so how do I do it? Any suggestions?" Kyuhyun asked her with amused tone. 

"KyuKyu, I'm not that type of girl..." 

"I'm not asking you that. I'm asking what should I do to make you start taking advantage of me..." 

"I don't want to answer that.." 

"No, I need an answer.. " 

Ryeowook stop eating. She smile and said "I just want to be in your arms, where I feel safe and I feel that I'm a woman.." 

Kyuhyun was so touch that he stopped eating too. Then he smile "Do you want to start now..?