Always Come Back [Moonsun]

Strawberries&Cigarettes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You're really into that mustache, aren't you?"

 

Jennie shrugged(and Moonbyual swore she saw the mustache twitch) as she poured the coffee in her mug. "Lots of things had changed since you've decided to leave and never come back here again."

"Hey, I said I was sorry and I promised to serve you and Jisoo on your special dinner date."

"Still." The cafe manager pouted, not completely over by the fact it had been almost two years since she had last seen her friend. "I missed you."

'I'm sorry." Moonbyul could only apologize as she wrapped the warm mug with her hands. "I needed time to get over it."

Jennie gave her a look of disbelief. "So are you?"

"Am I what?"

"Over her," Jennie said, restraining the urge to smack her head for acting so dense. "Yongsun."

Even after spending 730 days not hearing her name, it took only one word to make Moonbyul feel a massive headache and piercing heartache.

The cafe manager looked at her with pity as Moonbyul didn't answer for a long time.

"How is she?" Moonbyul finally said, but it was barely an audible whimper.

"Answer my question first, Moonbyul," Jennie said as she slammed the coffeepot down on the counter, startling the restaurant waitress. "Then I'll tell you."

Moonbyul scowled but, to tell the truth, she was curbing the urge to sob. "What do you want me to say?"

"Your truth."

"Fine," Moonbyul raised her voice, her mind finally snapped. "I'm not over her. And I never will be because I never wanted to in the first place!"

Jennie glanced behind her distressed friend. "Go on."

"There's nothing more," Moonbyul mumbled, covering her face with both hands. "I don't deserve her."

"But what if she comes back?" The cafe manager asked and Moonbyul's frown on her forehead creased in confusion.

"Comes back? She left me, Jennie. I lost her. We grew apart."

"But that doesn't mean she'll never come back, right?"

Moonbyul couldn't understand why Jennie was giving her false hope.

She had wondered so many times if she made a mistake. Whether it was a mistake to let go of one of the best things in her life.

But she refused to accept her fault. Because she was afraid.

Afraid of losing her. Afraid of falling to the darkest pit of life.

Just thinking of Yongsun losing everything because of her, having to go through people's prejudice just because she loved her was too much for her to bear.

And what if Yongsun didn't love her till the end? What if they decide they didn't love each other anymore?

Then Moonbyul will forever be the worst part of Kim Yongsun's life.

And that terrified her more than anything. Enough for her to let go.

But did she really?

"I don't know if it's a coincidence." Jennie quipped. "But she's a friend of Joohyun. She attends the same university."

Moonbyul's grip on the mug loosened as she felt a sharp tug on her heartstrings which stopped her heartbeat at the same time.

"...Is she..." Moonbyul swallowed thickly and opened but no words came out.

"First, hide."

Jennie quickly pulled out a large orange hat with a big, pink, smiley flower on it and Moonbyul heard the door open with its bell ringing cheerfully.

Before Moonbyul could ask what the hell was going on, she froze at the sound of her voice. Her voice.

"It's been a while since I last came here."

"Really?" Joohyun asked as she chanced a glance at the counter and nodded at Jennie who gave her a thumbs-up sign.

And tried hard not to giggle at the figure with the most ridiculous hat she had ever seen in her life. Right next to Seulgi's bear costume.

"I never dared to come here since I can always see myself with.. you know." Yongsun hesitated as she fiddled with the napkin on the table. "And I still do."

"You've been quite jumpy on our way here," Joohyun said, smiling knowingly. "You're hoping for her to show up, aren't you?"

Moonbyul grimaced when she heard the girl she had left laugh. It may sound bright and cheery for people who don't know Yongsun at all.

But she knew that laugh was much bitter than it seemed.

"I'm torturing myself with hope." Yongsun agreed. "As I said, I want to find my chance."

"What are you going to do if she shows up?"

There was a slight pause and Moonbyul knew Yongsun was thinking the same thing.

Why was she giving her false hope?

"..Then I will ask if she was fine without me."

"And?" Joohyun encouraged which annoyed Yongsun a little.

"If she says yes, I'll just storm off and leave."

"But what if she says no," Joohyun said with a small smile adorning her face. "What if she says she made a mistake leaving you?"

Moonbyul gulped, realizing this wasn't a coincidence.

It was a fate made by their two friends.

And she wasn't sure what to feel about that.

There was another pause and Moonbyul had to calm down her heart pounding against her ears, almost making Yongsun's voice inaudible.

"Then I will say what I wanted to say. What I never had the chance to say more than once."

Before Moonbyul could let her words slowly sink in, she felt a hard tug on her wrist and she was pulled out of her chair by t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter