Chapter 2

Strawberries&Cigarettes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

So I lied to my mom and dad

I jumped the fence and I ran

 

“Joohyun! Eat your-" Mrs. Bae's words were cut down short by her daughter.

"Morning mother."

The woman almost jumped when she saw her daughter standing right next to her.

"My goodness, Joohyun. What a surprise."

Joohyun just smiled, she felt jittery inside which didn't happen often.

"I already ate breakfast." Joohyun said proudly.

"What made you get up this early?" Mrs. Bae asked curiously.

It was a simple question, but Joohyun bit her lip knowing that her mother wouldn't approve meeting a stranger at the park.

"I... I was just going to review yesterday's lesson since I couldn't understand it very well."

She was a terrible liar, yet her mother seemed to have unnoticed that fact.

"Oh, Joohyun. It's spring vacation. You can loosen up a little. But."

The woman smiled as she smoothed out her skirt and patted her daughter's head.

"It's a very pleasant surprise to see you all worked up about your lesson. I'm definitely going to call and tell Mrs. Son about this."

Waves of guilt crashed into her seeing her mother smile proudly. But what choice did she have? She said her goodbyes to her mother and ran out before she was soaking wet with guilt.

It was her usual afternoon. Sunlight always reached the grass making them brilliant green and the trees surrounding her were always attractive.

Maybe it was because of this that made her skip toward the statue with glee. Instead of sighing and mumbling about her problems, she searched for a certain bunhead and silently giggled. She was there.

Before she could tiptoe toward her, the bunhead turned revealing the girl with a smug grin.

"Morning, Joohyun Bae."

"It's Bae Joohyun, genius." Joohyun sarcastically replied as she casually sat beside the bunhead girl.

Seulgi shrugged. "I know, but I figured it would be unique to call you that way."

"You mean stupid."

"Mean." Seulgi pouted but her lips curved upward seeing her new friend laughing.

"You seem to be in a good mood today." Seulgi said, amused by Joohyun's upbeat mood.

"I guess. I just felt jittery inside."

"Oh?" Seulgi wiggled her eyebrows mischievously. "I'm sensing love."

Joohyun swatted her friend's arm and glared.

"It's not that. I don't have a crush."

Seulgi seemed sincerely surprised. "Oh really? I'm guessing you have tons of admirers."

That was true. She had many admirers. She never bragged about it since she preferred to stay quiet and read her books, hang out with her small circle of friends. But that didn't stop them from sending her love letters or visit her classroom to see her face. She cringed at the thought. She was thankful for the attention, of course. But sometimes Joohyun felt it was too much. She was just an ordinary school girl. It sometimes annoyed her no, often annoyed her they would give her attention just because she has a pretty face.

"Hello? Earth to Bae?" Seulgi waved her hand in front of the older girl's face.

Joohyun shook her head to wake up from her thoughts and turned. "Yeah?"

Seulgi repeated her question. "I asked: Do you have a boyfriend?"

Joohyun almost snorted but since she had known Seulgi for one day, she decided to answer her questions. Even though they all seemed annoying. "No. No boyfriend. Not interested."

"Oh." 

Joohyun raised her eyebrows. "Oh? That's all you can say?"

The bunhead girl shrugged, not amused by the new information. "I was sure you have one. Since you like romance novels so much. I guess it could be the other way around."

Joohyun huffed in annoyance. Her cheerful mood all gone. "What is wrong with me liking romance novels?"

"Nothing." Seulgi stared at her with a blank face. "I just don't like them."

"You read 'The Fault In Our Stars'."

"That's because I saw you read it, Seulgi replied simply, not meeting her eyes.

Joohyun threw up her hands as signs of defeat. "Fine. You don't like romance novels. I get it."

They stayed silent for a while and Joohyun, having nothing else to say pondered if she should just leave. Before she considered, Seulgi pipped up.

"Sorry. I just... I was just cranky. Today was not a good day for me."

Joohyun's eyes softened seeing the other girl fidgeting nervously and her eyes darting back and forth.

"Well. You didn't have to ruin my good mood." Joohyun said but not in an accusing way.

Seulgi looked ashamed as she looked down like a scolded puppy.

"I'm sorry. Let me make it up to you. How about some ice cream?" Seulgi suggested carefully.

Joohyun wanted to pester the ashamed girl more but decided to let that go since she seemed... a little sad. Joohyun stood up and dusted off the grass behind her skirt.

"Well. We better hurry. I have lessons to attend."

Seulgi also stood up but looked at her with a confused expression.

"I thought you also have a spring vacation."

"It is. So that's why I'm going to the academy, not school." Joohyun explained as she picked up her backpack.

But apparently Seulgi was still confused. "Why do you need to go to the academy? Isn't school enough torture?"

Joohyun sighed. Seulgi was so different from her, so annoyingly different. Yet she still wanted to spend time with her. How strange. Maybe she was fascinated by how different Seulgi was from her.

"I need to study more to get into the best university in Korea." Joohyun said robotically, it almost sounded fake.

Seulgi seemed to have noticed. "Is that your goal or your parents' goal?"

The word hit her like a javelin and Joohyun instantly glared at the other girl for the comment. "It's both me and my parent's goal."

Seulgi looked like she wanted to argue, but closed when she realized this was a sensitive subject.

"Okay. But do you have to attend today?"

"I don't know." Joohyun said, still a little annoyed by the other girl.

"Well, haven't you missed at least once?"

"I never missed a lesson. Not once." Joohyun emphasized.

Seulgi grinned, making her eyes crescent. "Then I guess today is the day Joohyun Bae misses her lesson for the first time."

"What?" Joohyun stopped in her tracks.

Seulgi smiled seeing her annoyed and confused expression. "Judging from your very light backpack, I assume today's lesson isn't that important."

Joohyun was lost for words. She was a high school student for god sake. They weren't elementary school students. Seulgi's action seemed very childish to her.

"Seulgi." Joohyun calmly replied. "I'm a high school student. Every lesson is important to me."

The other girl seemed to ponder this for a while then sighed in defeat. "You really can't spend all day with me?"

Joohyun fr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter