Chapter 42 (Part 3)

Strawberries&Cigarettes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Blue eyes, black jeans(You always leave me wanting more)

 

"I still can't believe Yerim is going to Seoul."

It was early in the afternoon, and because it's been a while since the five of them hung out, they decided to have breakfast together at Jennie's cafe(surprise surprise).

"Hey!" The offended Squirtle protested. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"She deserves it." Seulgi defended as she gave her friend a light smack on the back. "I've never seen her so focused on her books without the reason to please 'hot-looking-male-teachers' before our junior year."

"Um.. Thanks?"

Joy rested her chin on her hands. "So, did you two go shopping yet?"

Seulgi stopped chewing on her pancakes. "What for?"

Joy threw up her hands as she huffed. "Have I taught you two nothing?"

Yerim slowly chewed and opened . "Technically, yes."

"Then I should definitely take you two shopping."

Joy never looked more determined, her eyes glinting dangerously, making the two poor girls uneasily gulp down their food in fear.

"Why is she so willing to torture them?" Wendy whispered to Joohyun and the bunny rolled her eyes as she watched Joy cheerfully chattering about the fashion trend and latest cosmetic product.

"You know what Sooyoung says about shopping," Joohyun whispered back. "The more the merrier."

To tell the truth, Joohyun wanted to take Seulgi shopping too. But just the two of them.

It may sound selfish but it had only been a week after they decided to start over and after four months, she won't be able to spend her every day with the younger anymore for five months.

Wendy seemed to know what she was thinking(they've been friends for almost more than ten years so it wasn't surprising), so the concerned mother of the group gently squeezed Joohyun's hand for comfort.

"So, are you two coming?"

The surprised hamster and the bunny looked up and read their friend's eyes screaming 'You both will come whether you like it or not.'.

"Of course," Joohyun said weakly and Wendy reluctantly nodded. "Why not?"

For some reason, Joy's hoot sounded more annoying than usual.

 

"This dress is perfect for you!"

Joy excitedly held up a puffy pink dress and Yerim rolled her eyes.

"Can you at least find something that isn't a prom queen dress?"

Seulgi looked around and was amazed by how a building could be filled with only clothes. How could people make this many clothes and wear them?

Since she spent over 10 hours in her uniform, her wardrobe had only warm hoodies and comfortable jeans. And the black dress she had first bought for her date with Joohyun but she always preferred casual clothes even on dates.

Then she recalled how Joohyun always wore casual but at the same time, feminine clothes whenever they met and wondered if Seulgi should try to dress up more nicely from now on.

She knew she didn't swoon the older with her looks but still, it won't hurt to look nice, right?

As Joy continued to gasp at the dresses, with Yerim sighing heavily beside her, Seulgi walked over to the other side to see what kind of clothes people wore these days.

It was December so there were long and short bubble jackets, long coats, shirts, wool jackets, etc. But none of them really caught her eye.

"Looking for something?"

Seulgi turned and saw Joy with a mischievous smile on her face.

The bear suspected Yerim must have shooed her away.

"Um.. Just looking around. I don't know a thing about clothes so.." Seulgi nervously rubbed her nape, not knowing why she suddenly felt so embarrassed as if she was caught doing something inappropriate. "Where's Seungwan unnie and Joohyun?"

"They got bored so they went to the nearby bookshop." Joy rolled her eyes. "They're nerdy bookworms."

"Oh.. I see." Seulgi should have gone with them.

"So I guess you're looking for clothes that will swoon your girl?" Joy said as she wiggled her eyebrows. "I can help, you know."

Seulgi fidgeted nervously. "I'm not exactly looking for a dress so..."

Joy rolled her eyes. "I know, I know. I guess a dress can be too much of a challenge since you have barely any other casual clothes." The taller girl walked toward the jacket section and gestured Seulgi to follow her. "I'll try not to go overboard."

 

"I can't believe I'm in a bookshop when there are only 8 hours left for today," Joohyun grumbled as she put her book down, not being able to concentrate.

"It's not like today is the end of the world, Joohyun." Wendy, who was sitting right beside her, said as she turned the page of her book. "Relax. Take your time."

"Can't you help me distract Joy so I can drag Seulgi out?" Joohyun pleaded as she clasped both hands. "Please?"

Wendy sighed as she put her book down. She could read it another time.

"Why are you so obsessed with spending time with her?"

"Because," Joohyun sighed as she unclasped her hands and looked down. "There are only four months left before we start our long-distance relationship again."

"Four months is more than 120 days, Joohyun," Wendy said calmly. "And there are more days you could spend together with her now on."

"I know," Joohyun said quietly. "But it was hard, being in a long-distance relationship. I could only listen to her voice only on weekdays and not even for more than an hour each day."

"But she still visits you on weekends."

"I thought that was enough too." Joohyun stared down at the book. "But just when I was finally about to enjoy her presence, she always had to leave."

Wendy inspected her friend's pensive face, trying to figure out the anxiousness that was dancing in Joohyun's eyes.

"But that's not the only reason, right?" Wendy asked.

Joohyun bit her lip, still not looking up but hesitantly nodded.

"I'm afraid that it will happen again."

"What?"

Joohyun sighed as she ran her hands through her hair.

"Her being distant.. Our fight.. Our break.. everything."

"You know you can't always experience the good sides of the relationship," Wendy tried to coax but Joohyun shook her head.

"I know that. But I..." She swallowed hard, feeling a lump on . "I still don't feel like I exactly know the reason for what happened and I'm.. I'm scared the reason might be something I've been dreading."

"..That she doesn't love you enough?" Wendy asked and Joohyun finally met her friend's eyes, looking helpless. "Yes."

"But she's with you now, isn't she? So I doubt that's the reason."

"I don't want to get my hopes up."

"It's not hope," Wendy said firmly. "It's the truth."

"I really wish it is," Joohyun admitted and Wendy patted her thigh. "I'm sure it is. So talk to her, okay?"

"I will if Joy lets us leave," Joohyun muttered.

"Tell you what, I'll try to distract her after we have dinner and you two can run along. How does that sound?"

Joohyun smiled gratefully at her friend. "I never thought I would say this, but you're the best."

Wendy dramatically put her hands on her chest, touched by her friend's words.

"Aw, I should have recorded that."

 

"You sure this looks good?"

Seulgi awkwardly stood in front of the mirror.

She was just wearing a simple checkered pattern gray jacket with a black shirt and white jeans, but still, it felt really odd not seeing herself wearing her uniform or usual hoodie.

"You look fine. Totally casual." Joy said and Yerim nodded in agreement. "Now all we need is some makeup."

Seulgi blinked. "But I don't have any cosmetics."

"Just a little lip tint and mascara will do." Joy said reassuringly as she pulled out her pouch. "So sit still."

Seulgi did as she was told and tried hard not to blink when Joy started with the mascara. It was very ticklish which made Seulgi squirm from time to time. Trying to look beautiful was sure hard.

Then she felt something mushy on her lips and she had to restrain the urge to rub it off. Maybe she'll get used to all this someday. Maybe.

When Joy finally finished, she dragged her to the mirror and even with little makeup on, Seulgi found herself a lot different than before.

Yerim whistled. "Wow. That's why everyone says makeup and diet is the best cosmetic surgery."

"Now, it's your turn!" Joy said gleefully and Yerim whined as the tall girl dragged her away, with Seulgi waving them off.

She turned to the mirror and imagined herself strolling around the university.

She didn't feel like a college student at all even when the CSAT ended but now, it all felt so real.

She wondered what she would possibly do in college. Would she drink a lot? Would she join the dance club like Joohyun? Would she ever have friends?

Even the future that was going to be her present after four months was intimidating. So imagining herself getting a job and having a career was terrifying since she had no idea what she wanted to do.

Her major was never the field she was interested in. Nanotechnology. She wasn't even sure what difference was between technology and nanotechnology.

What if she became to hate her major and had to find a new path?

Then it will take more time for her to get a proper job.

Joohyun will be a doctor after four years but Seulgi herself was only going to graduate college after four years, with only a diploma in her arms.

Seulgi wished she could just find the right path so that she could at least run toward her goal. Not knowing anything .

"Seulgi?"

Her thoughts scattered away when she heard a familiar voice and Seulgi turned, smili

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter