Chapter 4

Strawberries&Cigarettes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

So you sat and stared at my lips

And I could already feel your kiss

 

They somehow made it to the festival but there were too many people who were busy walking around the cherry blossom trees.

Some teenagers were taking pictures and even pool of students taking pictures for their yearbook. There were young couples who were enjoying their stroll and it sure did paint a nice picture with pink petals flying around them.

There were old couples who had a peaceful smile on their faces as they slowly walked along. While the kids were busy screaming and running.

It was beautiful chaos.

"So much for seeing the cherry blossoms," Seulgi grumbled. "All I can see are people's heads floating all around."

"I still think it looks beautiful," Joohyun said, sniffing the air to smell the cherry blossoms.

The bear sighed. "Well, if this makes you happy, I'm glad."

"Let's take a short walk and sit on one of the benches," Joongi suggested.

"If there's a vacant bench, that's a good idea." Seulgi said mockingly and Joongi shot her a look.

"Drop the sarcasm, dimwit."

Seulgi stuck out her tongue. "You can't stop me. Especially you, moron."

"Then I'll stop you both." Joohyun glared at them with stern eyes. Both froze on their spot feeling shiver run down their spine. Joohyun always seemed to know how to make people in her control.

"This is absolutely a beautiful festival and I don't care if there are so many people because I'm too happy to be upset. So will you both shut up and just admire the cherry blossoms?"

It wasn't a suggestion, Seulgi could figure that out from her tone but still, she nodded. Joongi even muttered 'Sorry' and Joohyun gave them a satisfied nod.

"Good. Now, lead the way Joongi."

The boy pretended to pant like a dog as he led the way, earning Seulgi's deadly stares. Joohyun felt like the mother of this group. She was always busy trying to not make them fight and tear each other apart. She silently sent her respect to their parents who managed them for over 10 years.

But still, the cherry blossoms were beautiful. Pink petals danced around her and she giggled, not minding anyone around her and just enjoying the free time she had craved for months. Maybe years.

She felt so free by the moment she almost got carried away, leaving Seulgi and her brother exhausted by all the walking.

"You sure she isn't an athlete?" Joongi wheezed and Seulgi stopped beside him, gasping for air.

"I'll have to check on that."

"Sorry, guys." Joohyun gave each of them a bottle of water which they took gratefully. "I was excited."

"You walked around like a dog out of a leash." Seulgi wheezed and Joohyun shrugged.

"Well, I am a person out of a leash."

"Good point," Seulgi muttered then glanced at her brother who looked as if he was about to pass out. "Why don't we take a break?"

“We don't have much time," Joohyun whined and Seulgi was quite surprised to see this reserved girl so childish. "It's my first time so can't we look around a little bit more?"

"You can go with your friends next time," Seulgi suggested but the older girl shook her head.

"I don't have friends."

Seulgi looked at her with a dumbfound expression in surprise. "Huh?"

Joohyun shrugged when Seulgi stared at her in awe. "I have colleagues but not 'friends'."

"Am I at least your colleague number 1?"

Joohyun nudged her shoulder. "No, silly. You're my only friend and that's why I can only go with you."

Seulgi felt her face burning up but decided to change the subject to hide her heart thumping with joy.

"I suspected you have lots of friends."

"Nope," Joohyun said absentmindedly, her eyes only focusing on the falling petals.

"I have childhood friends named Seungwan and Sooyoung but it's complicated."

"How come?"

"Seungwan's family is close to my family and Seungwan is so.." Joohyun grimaced a little. "Perfect for them."

"Oh."

Their conversation stopped thanks to Joongi who said he wanted to at least get some snack before they continue walking. And when he took off to the nearest snack truck, Joohyun cleared .

"And you? You never told me about your friends."

Seulgi stayed quiet for such a long time and when Joohyun pondered whether she should ask her question again, Seulgi spoke very slowly.

"People grow apart eventually."

"Because of your whole situation?" Joohyun said with a hint of pity.

"Yeah. I don't want them to pity me or comfort me whatever. And I'm not really a people person."

"Then what makes me an exception?"

Joohyun didn't care if she asked too much, it was obvious she wanted a confession from Seulgi that she was her one true friend.

Seulgi just shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe because you had family issues like me. Maybe because I grew attached to you after listening you talk to the statue."

"How long did you even hide behind that statue anyway?"

"About 3 weeks," Seulgi answered sheepishly.

Joohyun's jaw dropped, very appalled, "3 weeks? You spent half of your vacation just listen to some stranger talk to a statue?"

Seulgi's ears turn red as she refused to meet the older's eyes. "I was shy, okay? I told you I'm not a people person so it took me a long time to gather up my tiny courage and then you found me."

Joohyun was still exasperated by the fact her friend hid behind her back for almost a month but her frown faltered when Seulgi scratched her head in embarrassment.

"And I am really glad you found me. Otherwise, who knows? I even spent the whole vacation just admiring you."

"Well, I'm glad I have good instincts."

Seulgi nodded. "I agree."

They smiled and Joohyun admired the way Seulgi's eyes turned crescent when she smiled.

"My brother was very surprised when I said I wanted to bring a friend with me."

"Yeah, he seemed still surprised."

Seulgi scowled. "That moron told everything, didn't he?"

"He was concerned about you and he thanked me for being your friend," Joohyun reassured her.

Just in time, Joongi ran toward them with his snacks and Seulgi huffed in annoyance.

"What?"

"Next time, mind your own business, moron."

"Roger that, dimwit."

He tossed a cookie to his sister and handed Joohyun a strawberry cupcake.

"Am I the best man or what?" Joongi said with a triumphant smile.

"Don't flatter yourself." Seulgi snapped.

Joongi huffed."I could use some compliment."

"Thanks, Joongi." Joohyun quickly answered before they could start another fight. "We really appreciate it."

The boy puffed out his chest and beamed. "Sure thing. Anything for the ladies."

Seulgi rolled her eyes but Joohyun smiled when she saw her friend's lips twitching.

"You're such a geek."

"I guess geek is the new word for 'awe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter