Chapter 41 (Part 2)

Strawberries&Cigarettes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Blue eyes, black jeans(You always leave me wanting more)

 

Driving was one of the things she listed on her blacklist.

Because she got her driving license during their break, trying to stop thinking about Joohyun and learn something instead.

But that was a terrible choice since 1. It didn't help her stop thinking about Joohyun and 2. Joongi's constant shouting of 'Stop! Stop!' still rang in her ears.

However, this time was different because she was too busy trying to reach the hospital as fast as Joongi's old car could take her.

She slammed the door shut when she reached the hospital(and it was a miracle she wasn't arrested) and ran for the elevator, punching the number 4 button and constantly pushing the button 'close' until the elevator door finally closed.

The door opened with a ding and she saw Wendy and Joy sitting on the hospital bench, looking strangely calm.

"Where is she?" She asked demandingly at the two girls and Wendy choked in surprise when the inflamed bear grabbed her shoulders. "WHERE IS SHE?"

Before Wendy could reply, a familiar voice made the bear stop fuming and instantly turn around.

"Seulgi?"

Seulgi paused as she stared at Joohyun and after a count of three, the bear charged toward her and Joohyun was almost intimidated by how serious she looked.

"What's-"

Joohyun yelped when Seulgi suddenly pulled up Joohyun's sleeve and inspecting her arm as if she expected a massive scar on each of them.

She even tried to take off her shoes and Joohyun could only watch the younger in awe, having no idea what was happening.

Joohyun finally came back to her senses when Seulgi was buttoning down her shirt.

"Seulgi!" Joohyun pushed her away with a furious blush on her face. "What are you doing?"

"You're not hurt?"

Joohyun frowned, her brow creasing in confusion. "Why would I be hurt?"

"I heard you were in a car accident-" Then Seulgi stopped.

When you are about to lose your someone, your brain stops working.

It didn't occur to her that this hospital was actually a hospital for kids.

Even when the elevator opened and had animal balloons and kids running around the hallway, she didn't know.

Seulgi blinked, slowly contemplating the fact that Joohyun was never in a car accident in the first place.

And when she did, instead of running away because of her humiliation, relief took over her and she even laughed as she hugged the older tightly in her arms.

Life was too short to even love someone enough.

“Thank god." Seulgi breathed out. "Thank the gods."

So Seulgi was determined to spend the rest of her life no longer doubting but choosing to love her someone more.

And behind them, Wendy shook her head in awe.

"I never thought that would actually work."

Joy, who was right beside her, smirked.

"It only works on our ninny bear."

It turns out it was all a prank. Figuring Seulgi won't ever have the guts to say anything to Joohyun, Yerim had called Joy for help and Joy thought it would be a 'good' idea to tell the younger Joohyun had been in a car accident when in fact, the bunny was peacefully doing her volunteer work in the hospital nearby since Jiyoon came to visit her.

Joy's defense was, Joohyun checking her phone every ten seconds wasn't so entertaining anymore.

 

Jiyoon seemed very excited to finally meet her in person.

She literally jumped up and down her bed when Joohyun shyly introduced her to the little girl.

"Joohyun unnie was right!" Jiyoon exclaimed. "You are as pretty as her!"

Seulgi chanced an amused glance at the older while Joohyun looked away, her face tinted in a red hue.

"Jiyoon," Joohyun called out trying to calm down the little girl. "You've come a long way from Seoul so you have to take a nap. I don't want you to get sick, and you don't want to eat any more pills, right? So please try to get some sleep."

She turned to Seulgi who still looked a little dazed from all the squealing and shouting. "I still need to check on the other kids." The older sent her an apologetic look. "Maybe we could talk at break time?"

"I'll wait." Seulgi nodded. "Anytime."

"Thank you," Joohyun said and pecked her lips.

It was a habit of theirs to give peck each other on the cheek or the lips before they parted but they hadn't done that for a month, so when Joohyun realized what she had done, her doe eyes widened with shock.

"I.." Joohyun gulped. "I'm sorry I shouldn't-"

Before the older could make up an excuse, Seulgi pecked her lips in return. "See you about an hour?"

Joohyun blinked, astounded by how smooth her girlfriend was then finally smiled. "Okay."

Seulgi and Jiyoon watched Joohyun leave and when the door closed shut, Jiyoon turned to Seulgi, staring at her so hard Seulgi's palms were sweating.

"You two seem a little awkward," Jiyoon said keenly, she almost reminded Seulgi of a particular Squirtle. "Did you two fight?"

It was hard enough to explain their current situation, even to Yerim.

So when the little girl asked the same thing, Seulgi had no choice but to tell her everything that happened. And Jiyoon was a good listener.

"Good friend, Sooyoung unnie." She commented when Seulgi finished her story.

Seulgi snorted in annoyance. "Nope. I'm going to murder her after I talk to Joohyun."

"If not for her, you wouldn't have even come here today. And I wouldn't have been able to see you." Jiyoon pointed out. "You have to admit, you needed a push."

"Yeah but..." Seulgi crossed her arms. "Was a car accident really necessary? I swear I was this close to getting arrested!"

"At least you came here." Jiyoon tried to cheer her up. "And Joohyun unnie seems very pleased about it."

Seulgi's ears perked up. "She is?"

Jiyoon laughed, slowly getting to know why Joohyun was so into her. "Yep. So, what are you going to say to her?"

Seulgi's smile faded into a frown. "I don't know.. My mind is completely blank."

"You have nothing to say?"

"You know when you can't quite say what you're feeling because what you're feeling is so.. complicated and vast?" Seulgi said and Jiyoon gave her a reluctant nod. "That's how I feel."

"Hmm..." Jiyoon rubbed her chin with her hand and Seulgi could tell why Joohyun liked this kid so much. "Maybe then it's best for you to be honest." She suggested. "If you can tell everything, the least you can do is be honest."

Seulgi scratched her head. "I don't get it."

"I believe there are no other lines more beautiful than 'I love you.'," Jiyoon said with a smile. "Of course, it may seem bland and cliche at first. But once you say it out loud," The little girl hugged her bunny doll. "It will definitely feel different."

Seulgi stared at the little girl, astounded by her words. "How come you're so.. expert at this?"

Jiyoon shrugged. "My mom and dad used to say that lots of times whenever I had big surgery or was close to.. you know," The little girl looked down as she played with the bunny's ears. "But when they said 'I love you.' at my birthday, looking so happy, it felt so.. new. As if I never heard those words before." Jiyoon grinned. "And I bet Joohyun unnie will feel the same if you said it."

Seulgi really hoped Joohyun will find the perfect cure for leukemia.

"Thank you, Jiyoon." The older girl patted her head. "Thank you for being Joohyun's friend and for giving me great advice."

"You're my friend too, you know," Jiyoon said cheerfully. "So. Can I be your flower girl at your wedding?"

 

Time went surprisingly fast and Seulgi almost got late(again) when she raced toward the hospital cafeteria.

Joohyun seemed a little worn out as she greeted her with a tired smile. "Jiyoon didn't say anything embarrassing about me, did she?" The older asked and Seulgi playfully shrugged. "I'm not going to tell you anything."

Joohyun pouted in disappointment as she picked up her tray. "Meanie."

They sat facing each other on one of the tables and it suddenly felt awkward, since Seulgi couldn't help but recall the last time they ever ate something together.

"Um... Enjoy the food?"

Joohyun smirked. "You too."

They quietly ate their food and Joohyun glanced at the younger from time to time, since it was quite entertaining how she wolfed down the food and gave her a sheepish smile when she ate every bit of rice on the tray.

"When do you finish your work?" Seulgi asked when she finished her food, patting her stomach.

"I'm almost finished so I guess.. about thirty minutes from now?" Joohyun put down her spoon. "Why do you ask?"

"Let's go for a walk," Seulgi said shyly, her eyes folding crescent perfectly.

"Are you asking me out, Kang Seulgi?" Joohyun said with a knowing smirk but she was truthfully freaking out inside.

"Yep. So is it a yes or a no?"

"I have to make this clear," Joohyun said determinedly. "It's always a yes wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter