Chapter 1

Strawberries&Cigarettes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Remember when we first met

You said "Light my cigarette."

 

"Joohyun! Eat your breakfast!"

"Coming!"

The girl quickly picked up her backpack with a grunt and ran downstairs.

"Morning, mother." Joohyun greeted her mother who barely gave her a glance.

"Morning, dear. You can make breakfast yourself, right?"

Her mother was busy pulling up her hair wearing her usual work clothes. Another busy day for her mother. Too busy to even cook her breakfast, the first meal in the morning.

But being the good girl she was, Joohyun nodded.

"Sure, mom."

"I'll see you at dinner, sweetheart."

She waved her goodbye and when her mother closed the door, all that was left in this big house was herself. Judging by the silence, even her father was already gone for work. She could just search the kitchen to make some pancakes or eat some leftovers, but she didn't feel that hungry. For some reason.

She wanted to have breakfast with her family but she knew complaining was useless. She knew her mother would only say with a disappointed look :

"Aren't you old enough to make your breakfast?"

She was ashamed that she always wanted to be the little girl her mother loves.

But no, that was wrong to her mother. She had to grow up to become a proper woman her family would be proud of. She has to grow up for her parent's expectations. For their hard work sake of raising a daughter.

With a heavy, lonely sigh, Joohyun opened the front door, looked at the empty living for the last time, and closed the door.

Now making the whole house empty.

.

Whenever she felt like she had no one to talk to, her feet would always lead her to the park. And in the most deserted place of the park, was a statue of a man reading a book. It was an old statue that nobody could figure out what kind of face he was making. But Joohyun could tell he was smiling while he peacefully read his book. It comforted her for some reason. And she became to have a habit of talking to that statue.

Sometimes it felt good that no one talked back at her or was desperate to give her the advice they found so brilliant.

She just needed someone who could listen patiently until she found her answer by herself. And the man statue was perfect for that.

She sat down beside the statue, not minding that her skirt might get dirty and she pulled down her backpack. She sighed in contentment when she knew nobody was around her. It soothed her hearing the birds chirping, seeing all her surroundings blinding green, smelling the fresh air that was the exact opposite of the suffocating atmosphere in her house.

She wondered if she should read her book or talk to the statue first. But when she looked up and saw the man looking peaceful as ever, she felt a tinge of envy as her eyebrows twitched.

"You look more peaceful today." She muttered, still glaring at the statue man.  "I wonder when I will ever make that kind of expression."

Of course, the man statue remained silent so Joohyun could only sigh.

"My mother told me to make my breakfast today. I know I can make my breakfast but why do I feel so... upset?"

She leaned back on the statue, her face scrunched up still pondering her question.

"I feel like they don't care about me that much. I know that's a childish thought but is it normal for someone to feel lonely whenever they're with their family?'

She sighed again. Of course, it was nice to say whatever she wanted without someone interrupting, but sometimes she wanted some answers.

There were so many things she didn't know. All her questions floating into thin air, left unanswered sometimes made her crazy and more frustrated.

"I wish you could just come to life and answer all my questions."

Of course, the statue remained silent and still. She was that desperate, wasn't she?

She decided to stop fantasizing about the statue man coming back to life like a fairytale and picked up her bag. Usually, she would just walk away without looking back, but it felt wrong to just walk away. She turned around to at least say a proper goodbye to the statue man but froze when she saw the shape of a human's head. She was sure it was a girl judging by her hair tied up to a bun.

She tiptoed toward the floating bunhead and when she finally reached her destination, she saw a girl about the same age as her, maybe younger, sitting peacefully on the grass. And when their eyes met, Joohyun felt something surge into her which she couldn't quite decipher.

The girl seemed unsurprised and kept staring at her like an alien meeting another creature.

Both girls remained silent for a couple of minutes then the strange girl finally managed to initiate a conversation.

"I didn't know you were expecting me to answer."

Joohyun opened and closed like a goldfish and the mystery girl just smiled in amusement.

"Hi. I'm Seulgi. Kang Seulgi."

Joohyun didn't know whether to blush in embarrassment or shout in anger. So she did both.

"Were you spying on me? Evesdropping??"

But the other girl still sat behind the statue this time, with her eyes closed. And Joohyun's eyes twitched in annoy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter