Chapter 29 (Part 3)

Strawberries&Cigarettes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Long nights, daydreams

 

 

Seulgi never felt more proud of seeing Joohyun Bae's name in front of their school.

The banner in front of their school gate read 'CONGRATULATIONS: Bae Joohyun-Seoul National University(Medical school)', with Wendy and Joy's name right below and a couple of other students who made it through.

It was supposed to be a school holiday for the first and second years, so if not for those three, she wouldn't be here at 11 am in the morning.

Including the Squirtle who was yawning beside her, holding three candy bouquets Seulgi swore she was familiar with.

"Why are we here again?"

"Come on," A white fog appeared as soon as she opened . "It's 11 am! And we're still in high school, you know."

"Today was supposed to be my day-off," Yerim complained. "And you know I need my beauty sleep."

"So you won't look like a beast when you wake up?"

Yerim threw a menacing glare at her friend/enemy as she held up one of the bouquets in the most threatening way possible. "I'm going to hit you with this candy bouquet and we both know it's gonna hurt."

"You know, they look awfully familiar." The bear said suspiciously. "You took some of mine when you barged into my house the other day, didn't you?"

"Hey, It's all your fault. I'm broke because of your 'Manito Mission'."

Seulgi whistled, a little impressed. "Wow. You must have taken that very seriously."

"I'm a soft-hearted person, Seulgi. Not that you would ever notice with that dense instinct of yours."

Their bickering could go on for hours if they wanted to, but Seulgi made peace first because she didn't want to lose her mind and bash Yerim on the head with the bouquet she got early in the morning for Joohyun.

And yes, being the obvious, she was holding purple hydrangeas. But also with a few white gypsophilas which meant 'Pure and clear mind&Success of love'.

She, of course, bought two more bouquets for her other two friends, purple violet bouquet(which meant 'Forever friendship) for Wendy and purple lilac bouquet(which meant 'Memories of youth) for Joy.

She really had a thing for purple. Joohyun had that kind of effect on her.

The owner of the flower shop was very nice and Seulgi was amazed by the fact she could express her emotions through all kinds of beautiful flowers.

She already had some of them in mind, hoping to visit again for them before going on a date with the older.

Maybe that should be a thing for them from now on.

She imagined herself holding a bouquet of pink tulips in her hand while waiting for Joohyun in the train station.

And red roses on their first anniversary.

Maybe even bouquet of dahlias on their wedding day?

That made her cheeks flush crimson red. Thank god the air was cold.

"...What are you doing?"

Yerim seriously considered if she should just ignore her friend who was busy muttering to herself as she slapped her cheeks with both hands.

Why were she friends with her again?

The bear finally stopped when she spotted the third year students going toward the concert hall building.

And even though there were about hundreds of students, Seulgi's eyes never missed Joohyun's presence.

Why was she her girlfriend again?

"Hey, ninny bear" Yerim nudged her hard which made her wince in pain. "Are we going in or what?"

"Are we still going with that nickname?" Seulgi said, a little annoyed.

The Squirtle cackled. "You earned it, ninny bear. So don't argue."

 

As they waited at the lobby, with the air still cold, Seulgi felt like a penguin, surrounded by her own kind on the pale white glacier.

"Seulgi. I see you have come for Joohyun also."

Mrs. Bae with a rather stiff Mr. Bae by her side greeted Seulgi and the juniors bowed politely.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world," Seulgi said with a smile and Mrs. Bae nodded. "I'm glad. And.. You are?"

Yerim nervously smiled but managed to behave like her usual self with a high-pitched voice. "I'm Yerim. Kim Yerim. It's so nice to meet you! I'm also here for Joohyun unnie. And Seungwan unnie. Also Sooyoung unnie!"

Mrs. Bae blinked a few times, astounded by the energetic girl but politely nodded.

"I'm sure they will be delighted."

Seulgi noticed how Mr. Bae stayed silent but she decided not to bother.

After hearing what he said to her girlfriend, she was a little intimidated by the man.

"Oh, Gayeon umma!"

Mrs. Bae flinched but regained her posture as she greeted a woman who seemed very energetic, almost challenging Yerim for a match.

"Today's the day, huh?" The jolly woman said cheerfully. "I'm so glad our Seungwan is going to attend the same school as Joohyun. What a coincidence!"

Seulgi could see Mrs. Bae's tight smiled as she said, "A coincidence indeed."

"We'd better meet up to celebrate!" The woman, who was apparently Seungwan's mother, suggested, oblivious of the tension between them. "Maybe this weekend?"

"I'll call you after I check my work schedule." Mrs. Bae promised but Seulgi could tell it was just a formal, empty promise.

"Wow," Yerim whispered, hugging her bouquets as if they were the only protection. "I think now I understand why Wendy unnie and Joohyun unnie weren't in good terms."

"Should I be glad they are going to attend the same school?" Seulgi asked doubtfully and the Squirtle shrugged.

"Who knows? Mrs. Bae and Mrs. Son can definitely beat you and Joohyun for this tension. In a total opposite way."

 

The teachers announced the graduation ceremony was about to start so Seulgi eagerly entered, attempting to get in the front line to at least see Joohyun get her diploma. She managed to drag Yerim with her and focused her gaze where the three junior's class was sitting. She could almost make out Joohyun laughing and taking pictures with her friends(with Joy being their human selfie stick).

She restrained herself from joining and instead, tried to enjoy Joohyun in her uniform for the last time. She was going to miss that a lot.

The ceremony was boring but still, meaningful.

Some of the students and parents laughed when they watched a video made by the students, describing their school life in a very realistic way. And not surprisingly, Sooyoung was the leading role.

Yerim snickered along when the video showed a very realistic aspect of Sooyoung sleeping on her desk with her long hair covering her face but not her wide-open mouth. She caught a glimpse of Wendy trying hard not to laugh and Joohyun not even bothering to notice the camera.

Those were all the memories of their high school days. And now they were officially, legally adults. They all longed for this day to come since they believed it will be the end of their torturous days of sitting in their desks for 15 hours a day.

And yet it wasn't an end. It was a new start.

Some students cried when the video showed teachers telling their students how much they were proud of them and she got nostalgic too. And wondered if she will cry when her graduation day comes.

Maybe Joohyun will be right where she was, feeling proud and nostalgic at the same time.

She can't wait for that day to come.

When the video ended, class 3-1 students lined up in a row beside the stage and they each walked up to receive their diploma and shake hands with their teachers.

As each student went up the screen flashed to show a picture taken for their graduation album, it was very entertaining seeing a senior dressed as a minion or Spongebob or even anime characters. ('I am definitely going to try that.' Yerim whispered to her. Twice.)

She heard a few gasps coming from the students when the screen showed a picture of her girlfriend.

Could she BE any less beautiful? Why was Joohyun dating her again?

She proudly grinned and clapped until her hands burned as Joohyun gratefully shook the principal's hand and the other teachers. Her homeroom teacher even nodded approvingly, sending a silent message of 'I'm proud you are my student'.

Seulgi saw Joohyun giggling as she held up her diploma proudly with her two best friends beside her, taking another picture that will be the past but also a memory.

She heard some of the boys whispering how 'Hot' Bae Joohyun was and had to restrain herself from saying, "She is, my foolish male friends, my girlfriend!"

"I should have at least tried to ask her out before, dang."

That's my girlfriend thank you very much.

"I wonder if she has a boyfriend now. My brother always told me a girl gets prettier when she gets a boyfriend."

Not a boyfriend, a girlfriend. Seulgi thought to herself through gritted teeth.

"She turned down Bogum, right? Then she must be dating a businessman. Young and rich, right?"

Quite the opposite actually. Seulgi could almost imagine them laughing when she told them she was Joohyun's girlfriend.

"Pssst." Seulgi winced again when she felt a jab on her stomach. "Let's go wait for them at the lobby," Yerim suggested and the two stumbled out through the crowd.

Seulgi hated crowded places. So her already down mood was not getting any better. Working part-time didn't really help. It only made her despise any human beings aside from her friends and family she was seriously worried she might get Anthropophobia someday.

But still, today was an important day. She tried to remind herself that fact as she hugged the purple hydrangeas, careful not to squish them.

They managed to find the three when Seulgi was almost about to pass out. Exhausted Yerim shoved the candy bouquets to the seniors and heaved. "Really, I almost fainted in suffocation. And I swear I never once fainted even when I held my breath for two minutes!"

"Big day, huh?" Seulgi said after collecting her breath. Joohyun casually tucked disheveled hair behind her ear with a grin. "It sure is. Are those for me?"

Seulgi shyly handed the bouquet. "I was too obvious, wasn't I?"

"Yes. But I like it. Because I was able to spot you right away through the whole ceremony."

Joohyun could really write a book about 'INFINITE WAYS TO MAKE KANG SEULGI FLUSTERED(EVEN WITHOUT INTENDING TO!)'.

"Aw, I am not really a fan of purple but I appreciate it." Joy sniffed the lilacs and sighed in contentment. "Certainly better than candy."

"Hey!" Yerim protested. "It's not my fault I'm broke!"

"Thanks for coming you guys," Wendy said, holding the bouquets of candy and violets. "I feel a little guilty since today was supposed to be your day-off."

"Well, I'm glad someone is thankful for my existence," Yerim grumbled. "Not to mention you four are sleeping at MY house next week."

"I can't wait to know my manito!" Joy said gleefully. "I'm sure it's either Joohyun or Yerim but I'm sure my manito knows what I want."

"You've been quite open about it." Joohyun shook her head. "I can't count how many times Sooyoung shouted she wanted the expensive foundation that was on sale."

"Including her skin type," Wendy added. "You all know my skin type right? Dry and cool tone. Make sure you get a cushion one." Wendy mimicked Sooyoung's lines even imitating the tallest girl's expression. Seulgi admitted she was really good at it.

"We'll talk about the gifts later." Joohyun intervened as the three girls snickered at Sooyoung who was not very pleased. "But right now, we should take a picture before it gets even more crowded."

Just in time, Joohyun and Wendy's parents walked toward them with a proud smile on their faces.

"Mom!" Wendy waved at her mother. "Can you take our picture?"

"Of course, honey." Mrs. Son handed her handbag to Mr. Son and took Wendy's phone. "All of you, huddle up!"

The five girls tried to huddle as close as they could without squishing their bouquets. Oddly, Seulgi ended up right in the middle with Joohyun and when she was about to go back(since today was the seniors' day) Joohyun tugged her sleeve and pulled her close, not even giving her a chance to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter