Chapter 27 (Part 1)

Strawberries&Cigarettes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Long nights, daydreams

 

 

Seulgi almost fainted when she heard a loud bang of the library door open.

She was peacefully putting the books back to their place and since the CSAT was over, the library was almost empty.

And Miss Hwang had a day-off with her boss, Miss Kim so Seulgi was relishing the silence.

Until Joohyun Bae opened the door with a frightened look on her face.

Oh, so the results were today.

The younger anxiously tried to read her expression but she didn't look like she wanted to cry. But she didn't look exactly happy either.

"I wanted to see the results with you." Joohyun heaved and Seulgi had to rush toward her to calm her down.

"You sure?" Seulgi asked to make sure.

The senior nodded. "I don't want to do it alone. And you're the only person I want to see the results with."

Making sure no one else was here, Seulgi embraced the older and quickly pecked her head and mumbled, "I'll turn on the computer."

Seulgi finished putting the books back to their shelf and glanced back to make sure Joohyun wasn't going to faint. The older girl's face was so pale and her breathing seemed to get faster by the minute.

Seulgi hoped all the gods in this world to at least give Joohyun what she deserved.

"Shall we check Seoul National University first?" The younger carefully asked.

"Su...Sure. Then we can check Korea university." Joohyun stuttered.

"And we'll save the Yonsei university for the last." Seulgi finished and the older nodded approvingly.

All three universities were the best in Korea but Joohyun wished she got in the Seoul National University.

The older's hand was trembling as she entered the school homepage, her eyes focused only on the screen.

The younger could feel her hesitating after entering her name and student code.

Seulgi gently placed her hand on top of Joohyun's which was tightly wrapping the computer mouse.

"I'm here," Seulgi whispered soothingly.

Joohyun's lips quivered. "I'm scared."

"Shall we do it together?" The freshman suggested.

After a short pause, Joohyun finally nodded and together, they clicked the mouse and wait for the blank screen to show the older's future.

When the screen blinked Joohyun covered Seulgi's eyes.

"Don't look. I don't want to get humiliated."

She was being ridiculous but when you get the results after all the hard work you've been through for years, who wouldn't be?

Seulgi stayed silent and her ears perked up to get any hints about the result.

She heard Joohyun gulp and god Seulgi hoped she wasn't choking back a sob.

Seulgi's knuckles were itching to be cracked but she could just tap her fingers since she knew Joohyun hated that.

Before the younger was running out of patience, her eyes were blinded by the sudden light and Seulgi squinted her eyes to make out the blue words flashing on the screen.

"I got in."

.

"WE ARE GOING TO SEOUL, ES!"

Joy never looked more joyful as she hooted again, which was kind of her thing now.

Wendy was almost in tears, relieved that her best friends made it through.

Of course, the three friends promised they will support each other no matter what but she pleaded for them to get the results they wanted.

And Son Seungwan was never happier to get her wish come true.

Joy got in Konkuk University, majoring Journalism to step closer for her dream to become a reporter.

And Wendy surprisingly got in the same university as Joohyun, majoring Politics she always dreamed of. Since they were going to the same campus, Joohyun considered asking Wendy to be her roommate.

It was December, only about a week left until Christmas and New years eve.

Joohyun grinned thinking about what she should do with the younger now she was literally free.

She had called her mother immediately after checking the results and she almost laughed hearing a delighted tone from her mother which didn't happen very often.

Seulgi was on the verge of passing out after seeing her result as she said 'Thank god,' over and over again.

Since there were only three months left before she moved to Seoul, her only duty was to spend every day with the bear.

After the CSAT, they were able to go home early but unfortunately, Seulgi and Yerim were still stuck in high school so Joy suggested the three of them enjoy their 'freedom' and hang out with them later.

Joohyun felt a little disappointed but she agreed they deserved a moment just the three of them.

It's been so long since she went downtown, with big malls and all kinds of restaurants and franchise cosmetic shops you could imagine displayed endlessly.

"What should we do first?" Joy said excitedly. "Shall we enjoy some food which is not cafeteria food?"

Wendy nodded in agreement. "I'm starving. How about we get coffee after?"

Joohyun was too drowned with glee to state the fact she couldn't drink coffee, so she happily replied. "Sure."

The three juniors looked around but couldn't make up their mind because there were so many restaurants.

Joohyun squinted to make out the name of one of the restaurants when she felt a tap on her shoulder.

"Excuse me."

"Yes?" Joohyun answered as she turned around.

The three of them stared at the man who looked a little older than them, maybe a college student?

"I didn't want to disturb you," He said politely. "But.. I was wondering if I could get your number."

Joohyun opened in awe and managed to answer dumbly.

"...Huh?"

"I don't ask for any girls numbers, I assure you." The man rambled. "But you are so beautiful.. I just had to ask."

"She is taken, actually." Joy butted in as she hung her arm around her shoulder.

"You can ask for my number if you want." The taller girl said in an alluring way.

Before the man could answer, Wendy dragged both of them to the restaurant that she first saw.

It was a traditional Korean restaurant but judging by the people devouring the food, Wendy made a good choice.

"What's with the 'Huh?'." Wendy said and smirked. "It's not like you've never got asked out before."

"It's been a while since I got asked out," Joohyun mumbled, still a little appalled.

"Well you should get used to it," Joy said as she wiped her hands with a tissue.

"People won't be able to resist us three beautiful people."

"I could just say I'm dating someone," Joohyun said. It was simple, right?

"Oh, men these days are very persistent." Joy opposed. "If there's no ring on your finger, they won't believe you."

The petite bunny scrunched her brow. "What are you saying?"

"Seulgi poured her everything for you before CSAT," Wendy pointed out. "So why don't you give her a gift to show your gratitude?"

Joohyun's eyes widened. "A ring? Isn't it too soon?"

"Nope. You two are too slow." Joy said sternly. "It had taken you months to admit your feelings so I don't think you have the right standard of 'soon'."

"But what if someone notices? I don't want us to get exposed." Joohyun said in concern.

"Then you put your ring on your finger and give Seulgi a necklace ring." Joy answered as if this was such a simple question.

"That would work." Wendy nodded in agreement.

"But what if she gets hit on?" Joohyun said, biting her nails nervously.

Joy snorted. "I know Seulgi's adorable. But I doubt any guys would make you jealous."

"And Seulgi is head over heels in love with you so that's the least of your worries," Wendy added.

"What you have to worry about is your relationship turning into a long-distance relationship." Joy pointed out as she pointed her chopstick at Joohyun.

Joohyun frowned in confusion. "Why do I need to worry about that?"

Wendy and Joy looked at each other. Is she serious?

"You know what people say about a long-distance relationship, right?" Wendy said slowly.

Joohyun nodded. "Seulgi and I have plans to make it through."

"What plans?" Wendy and Joy asked at the same time.

"Since weekends are the only time we'll ever see each other, Seulgi is going to Seoul every second and fourth weekend of the month. And I'm coming back every first and third weekend of the month." Joohyun answered simply.

Wendy rolled her eyes. "Oh. That's easy."

"What? I'm sure it will work out." Joohyun argued but Joy shook her head.

"Joohyun, you'll be swamped with assignments and tests since you're attending medical school."

"I'll manage," Joohyun replied in determination.

"And you can't expect Seulgi to come to see you when her midterms or finals are coming up," Wendy added.

"...We'll manage." Joohyun said but with less confidence.

"What if one of you feels pressured about coming all the way here or there? You have to admit, it's exhausting to take hours of the train ride." Wendy said as she imagined Seulgi looking exhausted when she finally reached their university.

"We have no choice." The bunny mumbled, suddenly not feeling very hungry. "I can't make her come with me, can I?"

The two seniors felt bad for being too harsh but this was the reality.

Seulgi had two years left until she graduated high school and they can't count on the fact she will immediately attend college after her first CSAT.

Who knows? What if Seulgi has to take the test again?

Wendy and Joy really hoped things will work out between them so just hoping won't work.

"You should discuss this more seriously with Seulgi," Wendy advised.

"And spend every moment no, every second with her." Joy added, "But don't ignore us, okay? Seulgi's not the only one you won't see often when you go to college with Wendy."

The bunny laughed and playfully nudged the taller girl's shoulder. "You know I won't."

"Oh, sure." Joy scoffed. "I'm a little bummed I'm the only one who's going to a different college. It's like I wasn't good enough to be in the same territory."

"That's nonsense!" Wendy almost spat on her food but covered just in time. "We'll always call you and visit you. No matter what."

Joy sniffed, still disappointed but a little pleased. "You'd better. Or I'm going to tell everyone in Seoul University you two are dorks."

"Geez, no need to threat," Wendy said as she pretended to look offended.

"Then I guess we need to spend every moment no, second with Park Sooyoung." Joohyun sarcastically said. "But I'm not going to take you home when you get drunk."

Joy pouted in reply. "Aw. So close."

 

After spending the afternoon with her two junior friends, Joohyun flopped onto her bed and feeling nothing but comfort. But felt her stomach churn up as she recalled their previous conversation.

Seulgi was always the romantic one. And Joohyun often hated the fact she herself wasn't.

The younger was never afraid to express her feelings but still tries to be careful for their own sake

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter