Chapter 22 (Part 1)

Strawberries&Cigarettes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You always leave me wanting more

I can't shake my hunger for

Strawberries and cigarettes always taste like you

 

"I told you a million times, I'm not going to help you because I'm still mad at you!"

"Aw, come on Yerim! I'm sorry. I really am, but I need your help!"

After her reconcile with Joohyun, Seulgi had to call Yerim to apologize and ask for help for her plan.

But apparently Yerim wasn't going to make that easy.

She ignored her calls ten times and always left her text unread, so Seulgi had to barge into her house and demand her to go to the cafe with her.

The upset Squirtle raised an eyebrow and glared at the bear who flinched.

"You, Kang Seulgi. Don't deserve my help."

The desperate bear clasped her both hands together pleadingly.

"Please, please, please? I'll do whatever you want!"

"I'm a very humble person, Kang Seulgi. I don't need anything. Especially from you."

Before Yerim could stomp off and leave, she felt a hard tug on her right ankle.

"Stop being so clingy!"

Clearly annoyed, Yerim raised her foot with all her might but that bear was strong.

Now she knew how all the food she consumed helped her.

"I'm. Not. Going. To. Let. Go!" Seulgi grunted each word as she hugged Yerim's ankle tighter.

"Damn it, Kang!" Yerim snapped. "You're humiliating me!"

"Then say yes!"

"No!"

"Um... Guys?" The girls stopped the battle to look up at Jennie, with Jisoo by her side, both looking at them in awe.

"It's nice to see you so... Energetic, Seulgi." Jennie struggled to find the appropriate word for the bear's current state, lying on the floor holding the other girl's ankle.

"So I guess everything went well with Joohyun?" Jisoo asked expectantly and Yerim looked down at the bear.

"Did it?" Yerim asked demandingly and Seulgi, who was still on the floor, gulped. 

"She's kind of the reason why I need your help."

"Are you two together?"

God, her voice was surely loud enough for all everyone to stare.

"I... Guess?"

Yerim threw another menacing glare. "What kind of answer is that?"

"I haven't really.. Asked her out yet."

"Okay, after Yerim, I'm going to punch your face." Jisoo threatened.

Yerim nodded in approval. "I gladly accept."

"But we confessed!" The bear squeaked urgently, knowing these two were not joking.

"Did you tell her that you love her?" Jennie asked straightforwardly, and the chu and the Squirtle both looked at her.

"...Yes."

"And did she say it back?"

"Yes."

Jisoo sent a silent message to Yerim with an eye-contact(and Seulgi was sure they were debating whether to murder her or not) and finally, Yerim grumbled in discontent and crouched down.

"Fine." She said but not meeting the bear's doe eyes. "I'll help you."

"Really? Thank god-"

"Only." Yerim cut her off. "If you do the three tortures I made for you."

"Three... Tortures? Not three wishes?"

"Oh, they're torture all right," Yerim smirked. "And besides, you're not Genie. And like I said, I'm a very humble person."

"Did you agree to this?" Jennie whispered to her girlfriend and Jisoo shrugged. 

"Not what I was hoping for. But I did my best."

 

"How long do I have to stand here?"

Seulgi was almost ready to cry but Yerim grimly shook her head.

"Not until I'm satisfied."

This was torture. Pure torture. She knew she deserved it but really? This was torture number one?

She looked down in shame as she noticed some people snickering at her.

Well, who wouldn't laugh at the person who was wearing a bear costume with the word 'I AM A NINNY' scribbled on her forehead holding a banner written 'KIM YERIM IS THE QUEEN'?

Seulgi was surprised she wasn't arrested yet. Such a shame.

"Who's Kim Yerim?" An innocent little boy asked.

"She's one evil, cruel bi-"

"SEULGI?"

"Big-hearted person!" The bear exclaimed as she waved her banner with a forced smile.

"You're weird."

The huffish bear looked down again, never feeling more humiliated. "I know."

Then another little boy came and pointed at her forehead with a sneer.

"You're a ninny!" The boys laughed as they clutched their tiny little stomach. "That bear is a ninny!"

"Mommy, there's a ninny over there!" A girl squealed as she tugged her mother's arm.

"What's a ninny, mom? Is that what the bears are called?"

And Seulgi wanted to run away as fast as she could as the mother gave her a frown of disapproval.

"Is that really necessary in front of MY cafe?" Jennie hissed behind Yerim who was busy laughing her off when a group of children started to swarm around the bear.

"I can't imagine what is torture number two," Jisoo said as she watched the torture with horror.

"Oh, you'll be surprised," Yerim said as she rubbed both hands together with an evil smile on her face.

The couple looked at each other and they knew they were thinking the same thing.

Never. Ever. Make Kim Yerim upset.

 

"How's the torture gong?" Joy chirped as the exhausted bear flopped down on her seat.

She raised her head when a plate of waffles was placed in front of her.

"It's on the house," Jennie said with a look of pity.

"Thanks." Seulgi could barely lift her hand thanks to the banner she had been holding the whole day but managed to grip her fork with a grunt.

"Well, if it helps, we're not mad at you anymore," Wendy assured her as the two seniors watched the junior wolf down the waffles.

"That's good news." The bear mumbled with filled with food.

She swallowed the contents in and pulled her neck forward and managed to clinch the straw with her teeth.

"How's Joohyun?"

"Believe me, she's like a lovesick puppy it sometimes scares me." Joy replied, shaking her head as she recalled the dreamy look on her friend's face.

"Did you see her today?"

"No.."  The bear's shoulders sagged miserably. "I haven't seen her for three days. I was too busy with.. You know."

"She misses you."

"I know." Seulgi flopped onto the table again almost knocking down the drinks.

"She texted me that for like, fifteen times. And oh, there it is again, sixteen."

The two girls looked at the younger with sympathy.

"We can't blame this on Yerim." Joy carefully said. "She didn't eat for a week and stayed at her room crying her eyes out."

"And you thought Joohyun loves you." Wendy chuckled as she appreciated the appalled look on Seulgi's face.

"We're talking about Kim Yerim, right?"

"Yerim may not be the most affectionate person among us," Wendy said as she stirred her straw around her drink. "But it's obvious she thinks of you as her best friend."

"Joohyun Bae is my best friend."

Joy rolled her eyes. "Totally different concept, I'm sure."

"Then what should I do? I can't endure this torture! Who knows what she might plan next?"

"You should have thought what kind of person Yerim was before you shut us out." Joy remarked as she wiggled her eyebrows. "You should be thankful we're giving you mercy."

"Actually.." Wendy averted her gaze with guilt in her eyes. "I came up with the first torture."

The bear's eyes widened with shock. "How could you!"

"I was upset too!" Wendy argued. "You left us miserable AND made my best friend so upset she didn't even talk to me for two whole weeks!"

The bear covered her face with her hands in frustration. This was all so messed up.

If she turned back into the middle school student Kang Seulgi, she would have blamed herself and ran away.

But she wasn't anymore. She moved on from her past and she was living the present.

And she was going to live her present to its fullest.

"I understand." The bear muttered with a look of defeat. She turned to Joy.

"So I guess you planned torture number two?"

Joy gave her a mischievous smirk. "No hard feelings?"

"Fine." The younger grumbled and stood up. She limped toward the door then stopped, realizing something.

"Did Joohyun take part in torture number three?"

Joy clapped sarcastically while Wendy was trying hard not to laugh.

"So smart for such a young age." Joy wiped away her fake tears. "I'm so proud of our ninny bear."

"Good luck!" Wendy said cheerfully, still covering with her hand to stop her from bursting into laughter. "You'll definitely need it."

 

"Umm.. Excuse me, sir?" The man turned around and saw a teenage girl with a troubled look on her face.  He lowered his newspaper.

"Yes. How may I help you?"

"Do you know a girl named Joy?"

The man frowned. "I'm afraid not. Why? Is she your friend?"

"She's not just a friend, sir." Seulgi pretended to huff in annoyance as if he offended her. "She's the y dynamite!"

The man's frown deepened, obviously confused with the whole situation. "Oookay?"

"She's the iest, most beautiful woman in this city and you should be ashamed you don't know her!"

"I'm sorry but-"

"Shame on you!" The teenager shouted and the poor man dropped his newspaper, holding up both hands.

"Now," The girl straightened her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter