Chapter 3

Strawberries&Cigarettes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

But we couldn't go very far

Cause you locked your keys in your car

 

They continued to meet at 9 in the morning every day. Thankfully, Seulgi didn't ask her to skip her lessons anymore since Joohyun got scolded by her mother and even her father. The distressed girl stayed quiet for days feeling ashamed. And Joohyun had to convince her that she enjoyed her first day of rebellion for hours. So they made peace by buying strawberry shake for Joohyun, which she was very happy about it.

They spent their usual day but every day was different.

Joohyun jumped with joy when Seulgi said her mother agreed to let her attend to the same high school as Joohyun.

Seulgi fell asleep while Joohyun read her favorite romance book which Joohyun was still annoyed by it.

They even had an early morning picnic with Seulgi bringing the supplies and Joohyun bringing sandwiches she made before.

It felt as if she had known Seulgi for years. She felt comfortable around Seulgi more than anyone.

But one thing still bothered her. Seulgi despised romance movies, dramas, novels of any kind. It was a wonder that she managed to read 'The Fault In Our Stars'.

Maybe Seulgi experienced heartbreak? The thought slightly upsetting her. She figured it was probably because she was very protective of her friends. She decided not to think too much and waited for the girl to arrive. It was unusual for her to be even a minute late. Seulgi always got here before she did. Did something happen? The bunny frowned thinking any possible cases that could happen to her friend on her way here. A car crash? A lost puppy? Another fight with her mother? Maybe a-

"Morning!"

Joohyun quickly turned and almost laughed seeing Seulgi not limping at all and looking as if she just showered.

"You're here early." Joohyun sent a sarcastic answer and the other girl made an apologetic smile.

"Sorry. But I'm sure you'll be excited when I explain why I was late."

"Spill, Kang."

"In a minute, Bae."

Seulgi seemed out of breath so Joohyun gave her a moment to breathe and they sat down, leaning against the man statue.

"Since spring vacation is almost over," Seulgi started. A glint of joy flickered in her eyes. "I thought we should do something special."

Joohyun raised an eyebrow. "As in?"

"Get out of town."

"Seulgi!" Joohyun sent her a shocked look. "We can't just get out of town! We can't even drive a car! How are we-"

She stopped when Seulgi put her finger on her lips to shush her. "Of course I know that, silly." She smiled in amusement when Joohyun stared back at her with her doe eyes. "My brother is a college student. He can take us on a road trip. I already asked my mother for permission and if you give me your parents' number, my mom will ask them to take you along. How's that?"

Seulgi put away her finger and Joohyun opened . It was a funny sight to see since her eyes were big as a saucer and was closing and opening at the same time. "Seulgi that's... So..."

Seulgi opened her arms dramatically. "Magnificent? Splendid? Damn cool? I know."

"I don't like the 'damn cool' expression but yeah, that's great!"

Joohyun felt her whole body burning up with excitement. "Can we go see the cherry blossoms? I love cherry blossoms."

The younger girl chuckled making her eyes crescent and Joohyun liked the way her lips curved upward almost reaching her eyes. "Of course. We'll go see the best cherry blossom festival in Korea."

Without thinking, the shorter girl hugged the other girl hard making them almost fall. "I love you Kang Seulgi!"

At that confession, Seulgi coughed and her face turned bright red which made Joohyun pat her back urgently. "You okay? I'm sorry I was just too excited-"

"No, no need to apologize," Seulgi smirked. "I'm used to confessions but I never expected that kind of confession."

"I said that because I was excited!" The bunny blushed furiously as she slapped the other girl's arms more than once. "Don't flatter yourself Kang Seulgi!"

"Of course, Joohyun Bae."

.

"Joohyun Bae," Seulgi said dramatically as she gestured a boy (still look too young for a man) beside her. "Meet Kang Joongi. Moron, this is my friend, Joohyun Bae."

Joongi(the moron) held out his hand and kindly smiled. "Call me Joongi. Ignore that dimwit." Joohyun nervously took his hand and shook them.

"Nice to meet you too."

Joongi nodded. "Ditto. So, are we ready to go?"

Joohyun slung her backpack with excitement."Yeah. I'm all set."

Seulgi opened the car door for her(after pushing Joongi away) and they sat beside each other on the backseat while Joongi started the engine.

"It's going to be a long ride so buckle up ladies- I mean, lady and Seulgi." Joongi gave her a wink and Seulgi scoffed.

"Just drive, you moron."

Joohyun knew Seulgi has a very friendly relationship with his brother but she never imagined this. Guess brothers and sisters are arch enemies.

She watched Seulgi scoff again when Joongi whistled as shouted, "Let's hit the road!"

.

It was a VERY long ride. Joohyun's neck ached from sleeping and the car was so stuffy they decided to stop by a convenience store for some air and snacks.

They all looked exhausted but Seulgi used the rest of her energy to race her brother to the convenient store and Joongi threw his right shoe at her after he lost. Since she didn't feel so hungry, Joohyun sat on the pavement to calm down her queasiness. She took a deep breath and she immediately felt refreshed when she breathed an unfamiliar yet clean evening air. She never expected her parents to let her go and even stay overnight with her friend but here she was.

"You deserve a break." Her mother had said when she squealed with joy after taking her permission. "But after this, promise me you'll get back to your studies. It's your last year and the most important year of high school so don't disappoint me."

Bless Seulgi's mother for her defending skills. She would make a very skillful lawyer.

“Hey. Mind if I join you?"

Joohyun looked up and saw Joongi holding two sandwiches.

"Where's Seulgi?"

"Still in the store. Busy choosing which snack she wants to eat."

Joohyun giggled as she turned around and saw the bear in the snack corner with a serious face. But what made Joohyun's heart flutter was that the younger girl was tightly holding a pink drink. Her favorite strawberry shake.

"Thank you." She turned to Joongi while he unwrapped the paper covering the sandwich.

"Huh? For what?"

"For taking care of that dimwit."

Joohyun snorted at the nickname. "Seulgi told me you even saved her phone number as 'dimwit'."

"Well, she is. Anyway, she was very... gloomy for the past few days before you showed up. Since our parents got divorced and she had to leave her friends behind."

Joongi sighed and turned to see his sister still pondering between a potato chip and a chocolate chip cookie.

"She always draws a line on every people. Even her friends. I never saw her contact them after we moved here."

Joohyun put down her sandwich and frowned. "Why?"

"Because she doesn't want to get attached to anyone. She saw her family fall apart with her own eyes."

Joohyun couldn't help but be a little surprised. Seulgi seemed so easy-going with people. She figured everyone would adore her when she star

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter