Chapter 25 (Part 2)

Strawberries&Cigarettes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Do they always taste like you

You

 

"You don't have ANYTHING in mind??"

Seulgi shrank in her seat as Yerim glared at her friend with the most menacing glare she could muster.

"Joohyun told me she wanted to spend the whole day with me this Friday. So I thought I could buy her dinner or something."

Yerim shook her head in disbelief and scoffed. "God please tell me you've planned more than that."

When her friend gave her a blank stare the Squirtle threw up her arms in exasperation.

"How come I am single and you're not?"

Seulgi sniffed. "Okay, dating expert. What do you think I should prepare for her?"

"More than buying dinner, you dumb bear."

"I know. But I'm lost." Seulgi grunted as she covered her head with both hands in distress. "This may be the last date before CSAT and I want to give something special."

Yerim raised an eyebrow.

"Do you really think you won't have a date with Joohyun unnie after Friday?"

The oblivious bear blinked making her friend roll her eyes. "Umm... Yes?"

"She's just making an excuse so you won't feel guilty about taking her time!"

"Huh?"

"You know Joohyun unnie spends all her energy finishing all her studies in time to spend time with you, right?"

The bear's eyes widened. "She does?"

Yerim looked up at the ceiling and tried hard not to strangle the bear for the sake of their god damn friendship.

"Okay, I give up."

"I really didn't know." The bear looked evidently upset. "No wonder she looked so tired."

"You don't have to feel guilty about it," Yerim assured her but still with a hint of disbelief. "I meant you should think of something that will feel her effort was worth it."

"What should I do, Yerim?"

"She's your girlfriend, not mine." The Squirtle said and the bear sighed in frustration. "I'm too stupid to date."

"I'm not going to argue about that."

"I'm lucky to have a best friend like you."

"I know."

 

Thursday was Jennie's favorite day.

Not many customers which meant she could spend most of her time texting her girlfriend.

And it was a day before Friday which was the day she had a date with her girlfriend, that always made her heart skip a beat in anticipation.

She never expected her heart to get a heart attack.

"Jennie, Jen!"

The cafe manager almost spilled her coffee as she jolted in surprise as the door banged open, with the vicious bear charging toward her with the Squirtle huffing for breath behind.

"Good afternoon to you, Seul."

The girl looked like she had run all the way here and Jennie quite respected her for that.

But snickered when Seulgi fell on her knees, with her arms sprawled on the counter, barely holding herself up.

"I need your help... or advice....or wisdom.. or-"

Jennie put down her coffee and handed the bear a glass of water while Yerim was already chugging one down.

"Okay, bear." The cafe manager said calmly. "What's up?"

"What are you going to do for Jisoo before her CSAT?"

"We're going to the beach," Jennie replied simply.

"Huh?"

"Jisoo said she wanted to 'scream' her stress out and I considered going hiking but.. Jisoo is not exactly a climber so.." She winced at the thought of her girlfriend complaining, red in the face, as they hiked up the mountain.

Definitely not a pretty picture.

"That should have been our date." Seulgi cursed as she remembered auntie Mia's villa. "I even got a job to go there again with her. God, how could I be so stupid?"

"You really wanna know?"

"Shut up, Yerim."

"You guys can join us," Jennie suggested. "It's been a while since all four of us hung out."

"No," Seulgi grumbled. "It's your last date with Jisoo before CSAT. You two should have a moment alone."

"Yeah but still.."

"I'll think of something." But judging by the bear's sagged shoulders, she had none.

"Didn't Joohyun say anything about what she wanted to do?" Jennie asked, trying to be helpful.

"Nope.." The bear sighed. "She said she wanted to spend the whole day with me for the last time before CSAT and that was it."

"Wow, a whole day?" Jennie marveled. "She must have been studying without even sleeping to spend the whole day with you."

"THANK YOU!"

"I said SHUT UP YERIM!"

"How about you give everything that Joohyun likes?"

"I've already given her a lot of things." Seulgi protested. "Purple hydrangea, strawberry shakes, not cigarettes, cherry blossom diffuser, and lotion. And so on."

"Come to think of it," Jennie rubbed her jaw with her hand. "They're going to be official adults next year, right?"

"Yeah, so?"

"So," Jennie clapped her hands, delighted with her idea. "Why don't you take her out on a proper, adult-like date?"

Seulgi frowned. "Umm... I'm under-aged so I can't drink wine."

"No, I mean, take her out to a fancy restaurant. Go ride a Ferris wheel. Take a long walk or go see a movie."

"I don't know Jennie.." Seulgi said uneasily. "They all seem... Common to me."

"Of course they are, dummy." Jennie rolled her eyes. "It's up to you to make them special."

"Okay." The bear said but with little confidence. "I'll try."

"I should buy some wine for our date," Jennie mumbled. "We'll have a lovely picnic with some wine and her favorite foods. She'll love it."

"God," Seulgi shook her head, almost ready to cry. "I'm too dumb to date."

.

"So, are you excited about your big day?"

Joohyun looked up from her specs which made the figure in front of her a little fuzzy but she could still make out the girl's playful smile.

"No. I'm not excited about the CSAT if that's what you're talking about."

"No, silly." Jisoo giggled. "I meant your date with a particular bear."

"Oh." The bunny shrugged. "It's just a date. I don't want to pressure her."

"Oh?"

"Why?" Joohyun finally put down her chemistry book. "Did Seulgi tell you something?"

"A little.. dumpling told me," Jisoo smiled to herself at the nickname. "The junior is quite stressed about it."

"Really?"

"Yeah. She barged into Jennie's cafe to ask for advice."

Joohyun frowned, a little concerned. "I don't want her to get frustrated about it."

"Well, I think it's cute." Jisoo grinned. "Jennie told me she looked like a lost puppy and you get the picture, right?"

Joohyun shook her head, but it would be a lie if she wasn't pleased.

"Spending time with her is enough for me."

"Oh, how romantic," Jisoo said teasingly. "I for one, am very excited about my date with Jennie."

"Do you guys have plans?"

"We're going to the beach!" Jisoo exclaimed and Joohyun swore she saw her dark circles fading. "It's a shame we can only spend a few hours there but still, it's my first trip with her."

"How are you going to pay for the trip? And won't you be tired the next day?"

The excited girl shrugged. "Oh, I'll manage. It's worth it."

"Can I be your maid of honor when you two get married?"

"If I get to be yours first."

They both giggled and Joohyun sighed as she stared at her book.

"I don't want to expect too much from her. Jennie is an adult and Seulgi is.. Seulgi. And I like her that way."

"Then what do you expect on your last date?"

Joohyun shrugged. "Have dinner together? A picnic at the park?"

"Gosh, you really are humble."

"Like I said, spending time with her is enough."

"Don't you think Seulgi might be a little... agitated that you are handling her too.. maturely?"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You know," Jisoo scratched her head. "You're taking this awfully adult-like and you're not even an official adult yet."

"We have only two months left to be 20, Jisoo."

"I mean," Jisoo sighed. "What if Seulgi wants you to expect something from her?"

"Why would she want that?"

"Of course, Seulgi is cute. Lovable, adorable, sweet-"

"Okay, no need to trigger me."

"But she also wants to do anything for you. Who likes to be treated like a kid?"

Joohyun pondered that. She thought about her parents' friends who always called her 'little Joohyun', and she had to admit, it being treated like a kid.

"I know Seulgi is sensitive but..." Jisoo smiled. "I'm sure you'll be surprised that she's more than that."

"Okay, now let's not forget she's already taken."

 

"You sure we can afford this?"

Joohyun shifted uneasily as she frowned, squinting her eyes to see if she got the numbers right.

"That steak is too small to be worth more than my books."

"Relax." Seulgi tried to muster her best smile. "I got it covered."

"I don't want you to spend so much money on that steak."

"I'm spending money for us," Seulgi corrected. "Don't worry."

They ordered the steak, much to Joohyun's dismay, and the older decided to distract herself by marveling how stunning Seulgi looked.

With her black one-piece dress, she looked more sophisticated, mature even.

And it was the first time Joohyun had ever seen her wearing a dress, which made her heart flutter every time she looked at the younger.

Maybe she had underestimated her girlfriend too much. And she felt very bad about it.

"So," Seulgi said as she casually held up her glass of water(but Joohyun laughed to herself seeing her fingers trembling a little), "Still cold war?"

"Still cold war." Joohyun agreed. "Dad is out of town. And mom only talks when needed."

"That . There are only two weeks left and they're still upset with you?"

"I know," Joohyun admitted. "But I'm too busy to be even bothered about that."

The younger looked down, deep in thought and Joohyun knew she was trying to think of a way to make her feel better.

"Hey," She said reassuringly. "You don't need to feel bad about it."

"I can't help it." Seulgi sighed. "It your parents ."

"What a nice pun."

"But they made you." The younger smiled a little. "So I can't even stay mad at th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter