A Week in the Hospital

Barely Even Friends At First

Eunhyuk POV

 

I began feeling the effects of chemotherapy almost immediately. It was the worst feeling I ever felt in my life. The terrible nauseous feeling I got, the unsettling feeling of death washed over me constantly. I threw up constantly, most of the time the only thing coming up was stomach acid, leaving me weak and exhausted.

My family stayed by my side, helping me by rubbing my back or getting me a trash can when I needed to throw up. The worst feeling was seeing their worried faces. In a matter of days it seemed like the weight I had built up over the past two weeks had disappeared.

Then there was the members, who couldn't always be by my side due to activities, but when they were they were shocked into silence by the way my body seemed to change. I wasn't the same Eunhyuk to them, I was someone who was frail, and weak...but couldn't even show emotion to how much pain I was going through.

Even when I was sleeping I awoke from the overpowering feeling of nauseousness, and even sometimes hallucinations. It was the worst feeling in my life that I had ever experienced.

I finally began to feel better in the middle of the week, and was able to eat something and keep it down for more than ten minutes. The chemotherapy had finally began to wear off but the effects were obvious. I was losing my hair non-stop and by the end of the week I was bald. The effects were that bad.

However, I remained strong for my family, showing them no signs of weakness except for my inability to stop throwing up. I tried to show them how strong I was, insisting I could get out of bed and walk to the bathroom on my own. It was also important that I shouldn't see anyone who was sick, or had been sick recently due to the effects of chemotherapy making my body weak to sicknesses.

If I got sick it could be life threatening.

Midway threw the week, Heechul came to visit me alone. He seemed torn to come visit me or not, doubting his confidence he could stay strong in front of me. I was feeling strong enough to walk around the hospital by this time, and we walked around, talking and laughing as though nothing had changed.

Heechul took hold of my heart in a different way. In a way that no one could change what I thought about him, even the way he acted I knew that there was a kinder side to him. I liked the way he gave in to me, the way he made it obvious he would do anything for me.

"Eunhyuk...I leave for the army in a week," Heechul brought up when we were back in my room, alone. I had already known this, and if there was one thing I was worried about it was not having him at my side while I went through this treatment. He gave me strength like no one else could, and he was someone I could tell anything too. Even how afraid I was of this sickness.

"I'll be there to see you off," I said, sure that I'd be out of the hospital to see him go. Heechul turned away from me, looking out of the window in my hospital room.

"You know I'll get leaves from the army for holidays... I'll come back and visit you. Really two years won't be so long," Heechul said, his voice solemn as he spoke. It was more like he was trying to convince himself. I sat on my bed covering myself with the covers.

"And maybe I'll be all better by then and I'll be able to join back in Super Junior activities with you," I smiled happily. Thinking of the day I'd be pronounced cured made me extremely happy, I couldn't wait to see what life would be like cancer-free. I already knew that my body wouldn't be the same, but maybe I could get back in shape close enough to where I was now.

"We will dream of that day together then," Heechul smiled and sat on my bed beside me. We continued to daydream about our lives two years from now, and how much things would change. In the end, we were happy to have each other and Super Junior.

"I should go for now. I have to prepare things for the army," Heechul sighed as he stood. I agreed to let him leave, but I didn't like the fact that I would be alone again. "I'll come visit again tomorrow," Heechul brushed his lips on my forehead before leaving.

I looked around my hospital room for something to do, but it was dead...nothing to do. I got out of bed and decided to walk around the hospital once more. It felt good to do some kind of activity again, even if it was just walking slowly. I recognized some of the nurses, others it was my first time seeing.

"Hyuk Jae!" A nurse called out my name. I turned slowly to find one of my own nurses smiling brightly at me. "I see you are feeling better! What a relief," She made small talk, but it was better than being alone in my room.

"I feel much better," I smiled back.

"You must be bored though," She sighed, but then she perked up once again. "I'll take you somewhere fun. Follow me," She walked at my pace towards the elevators. We rode together down a few floors before she took me down a hallway that was decorated brilliantly with lots of pictures. "Some of the kids here have stayed for over a year, and their parents can't come visit as often...so they make pictures to cure their boredom as well as play with others," The nurse explained. We came to the first room. A lot of kids were sitting around small tables, talking loudly and playing with other children.

"Can I go in?" I asked slowly, getting the sudden urge to play with all of them. The nurse looked at me.

"If you don't mind getting surrounded by some of your fans," The nurse smiled as she pointed to a few drawings on the wall. They were of Super Junior...Each one of the members have been drawled several times. It was my first time realizing that we had fans from all over the world, including all age groups.

I immediately entered the room, grabbing the attention of the little kids.

"Annyeonghaseyo," I called out to them cutely.

"It's Eunhyuk!" One of the girls screamed. Almost immediately I was surrounded by all of the kids, each one of them pulling me to play with them, to sing for them, to do something for them. The nurse that had brought me here calmed down the children slightly enough to allow me to talk once again.

"I'll show you something," I smiled. I was sure I looked weird in hospital gowns beginning to move my body as I normally did. I was still in love with dancing as I had been from the start. All of the children liked my performance, clapping their hands and chanting a Super Junior song.

"Eunhyuk can you draw us a picture?" One girl asked. I smiled, deciding that drawing wasn't a bad idea. I normally wasn't good with kids, but I enjoyed making them smile, and laugh... and if a drawing would make them happy I was up for it.

I sat down in front of one of the tables, grabbing a piece of paper and blue crayon. The room seemed to grow quiet as I drew continuously on the paper. I drew a blue elephant, a blue monkey, a blue fish, a blue raccoon, a blue chipmunk... all of which I put my signature under and gave over to one of the children, until all of them had one. They all held on to the pictures as if it was the most precious thing they have received in their lives.

"Ok Eunhyuk... I wouldn't overdue it," the nurse said, and helped me off the floor. As we left, I said goodbye to the children, but I noticed a familiar face in the window. The nurse led me out of the room, making me come face to face with Donghae.

 

 

 


tumblr_mb4ten3jDY1qj3zpso8_400.gif

yay another chapter hehe... hope you all enjoy ^_^

LHY