Year Four: The Dragon Egg

Protego Totalum

SinB groggily got up the next morning, feeling scratchy and her body feeling sore. She was still in her button up shirt and dress slacks as she was too exhausted to put on pajamas last night. She expected Yewon to be next to her as she looked behind her but found an empty space.

She furrowed her eyebrows and found that the bathroom door was slightly open. From the little space the door was open, she could see was Yewon sitting on the floor by the toilet.

”Yewon..? Yewon?”

SinB scurried to her feet clumsily and rushed in to bring Yewon into her arms.

”Baby, what’s wrong?”

Yewon didn’t respond, feeling the stinging in her head getting even harder, herself getting more and more numb to it, more dizzy than painful.

”Yewon? Baby..”

”The...dragon egg...I know how to open it..”

”What? Yewon I could care less about it right now-“

”Underwater...open it underwater-argh!!”

Yewon groaned and held onto SinB’s shirt tightly, the pain slowly settling back into her system. She shakily whimpered and her body eventually went limp in her arms.

”Oh my...oh no, no, no-someone help!! HELP!!”

SinB swiftly got up onto her feet, carrying Yewon in her arms and running out the room, towards the medical bay, screaming bloody murder on her way there.

”HELP!! SOMEONE HELP!! PLEASE!!”

Everyone in the castle by then was either in the great hall or just waking up so when they all saw her sprinting down the halls with Yewon’s limp body in her arms, they went into a panic.

They all scurried to get the nurses to Yewon as soon as possible and eventually, they heard their pleas and brought Yewon into a stretcher, bringing her into the medical bay quickly.

SinB panted and rested on a wall, her head resting on the cold bricks. The rest of the girls, now being made aware of the situation, were gathered by SinB as they watched Yewon get carted away.

”SinB, you’re still in your clothes from yesterday..”

”Do you think I care, Yuna?”

SinB snapped as she looked towards the tall Hufflepuff. She was taken aback and kept shut, Eunbi speaking up in her defense.

”Hey calm down there. She had nothing to do with this-“

”I can’t just calm down! You weren’t even in our damn room! I could’ve used your help, !!”

”Either way you would’ve done the same thing you just did, you idiot!!”

Sojung stepped in and placed her hands on either girls’ shoulder, looking down a tall them with a stern look.

”Yewon wouldn’t want us fighting. She’s sick and the last thing we need right now is a riot. Now, up your pride and let’s try and stay sane. For Yewon’s sake and to prevent this group from splitting. Nobody wants that.”

SinB shrugged her hand off and sighed afterwards, trying to keep herself calm as she looked at Eunbi. The shorter girl nodded to her as her way of apologizing and SinB took it, looking down to her feet.

”Wait...I’m not even wearing shoes...you have a point, Yuna..”

Yuna cautiously giggled and scratched the back of her head, Eunbi smiling and hugging her side.

*******

Bathroom, now, alone.”

Yewon shivered as she got up from her bed in the medical bay, they had treated her as well as they could and left her to rest. But Yewon knew she couldn’t.

She carefully made her way towards the bathroom, locked the door behind her and awaited further instruction, only to see as Hwang appeared in the room right in front of her.

”Professor-ugh!”

She was cut off by Hwang grabbing onto , pressing his fingers mercilessly into her skin and pressing her body onto the bathroom wall.

”You told her about the egg...it’s exactly what I told you not to do!”

He held his wand to her head and leaned in, speaking up in a menacing voice.

”You knew the consequences...yet you still did it...you must remember your place..”

Instead of casting a spell, he instead hit the of his wand onto her cheek. Yewon whimpering at the contact and grabbing onto his hand that still wrapped around her neck.

”P-please...let me go-“

”Are you mad? How do you expect me to leave you without a good beating after what you’ve done? If you weren’t so important I would’ve killed you by now-“

”Yewon? Ms. Kim, you have visitors!”

Hwang silently cursed and let go of , seeing her gasp and gently grasp , face full of pain. He growled and punched her square in the jaw, his rings cutting her skin. Before she could yell in pain, he kneeled to her level and covered .

”You’ll say nothing about me. Next time, I will make your punishment a living nightmare.”

He then disappeared and Yewon looked to the ground in complete fear. She looked at herself in the mirror in front of her and saw the red bruises forming on her neck, her cheekbone looking swollen, and her jaw scraped and bleeding.

”What am I gonna say..?”

”Ms. Kim? Please come out when you can, I’ll tell your guests to wait a bit.”

”I’ll be out in a sec!”

Yewon called out and quickly went to clean her wounds and think of an excuse while she was at it.

*******

”Underwater...underwater..”

SinB was at the prefects bathroom in the castle, taking Yewon’s advice and bringing the dragon egg with her. She went into the large sort of pool type bath tub inside after slipping out of her clothes, holding the egg in her arms.

”Well...Yewon’s always right..”

She held her breath and went underwater, looking at the egg so that she could find the switch to open it. When she did she was met with singing, singing like those of sirens.

Come seek us where our voices sound
We cannot sing above the ground
An hour long you'll have to look
To recover what we took

An hour long you'll have to look
To recover what we took
Your times half gone so tarry not
Lest what you seek stays here to rot

SinB went back up to the surface and placed the egg outside the tub, wiping her face and starting to think.

”What on earth...recover? An hour?”

The cogs in her head began to turn, visibly trying to unpack what she had just heard. She then gasped, a lightbulb going off in her head as she scurried out of the bath tub, drying herself, and quickly putting on her clothes.

”I’ve gotta find Yerin..!”