Year One: What’s a Muggle?

Protego Totalum

The caw of an owl was heard along with the sound of its wings flapping and cutting through the air.

It held something in its claws. A letter sealed with a red stamp and the address and name of a girl.

Only, this girl was not normal. Neither was the letter.

The owl then landed the letter inside of a house’s mailbox and perched on the branch of a tree nearby. It could see the movement of people through the window of the house.

Then out came a girl, around 11 years old, wearing a blue sweater along with black sweatpants and white slippers. Her hair was a bit messy as she had just woken up.

She walked towards the mailbox and opened it, going through the mail as she made her way back inside the house. She began to slow down as she reached the unusual letter the owl had sent her. She rushed back in and closed the front door.

The owl let out a small hoot and flew away.

”Auntie! Uncle! I got a letter!”

The two adults who were sitting at the kitchen table stopped what they were doing to see that the girl held up a small letter.

The older man immediately gasped and signaled her to come closer to him. She looked at the older woman next to him worriedly.

”Well..open it! See what it is!”

The small girl opened the letter and unfolded the paper. She began to read it out loud with her small voice.

”Dear Miss Hwang Eunbi, you have been accepted into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry...the first term will start in three days time...items you will be needing will be listed below...sincerely, Headmaster Hagrid...what in the world have I just read?”

Eunbi looked at the two adults curiously. The man sighed as he took the paper.

”I never thought this would happen...what your aunt and I forgot to tell you is that...you are a witch.”

”A w-witch? Like with the pointy hats and robes and ugly noses?”

”No! It means that you can create magic, do things normal people can’t do.”

”Are you saying I’m not normal?”

”No not at all! I’m saying you are special. In the best way possible. Gosh...I need to remember where I put that note.”

He stood up and rushed towards his office. Eunbi was very confused so her aunt called her over.

”This is something great Eunbi. You’re father was a wizard and in tune with magic as well, that’s how your uncle knows all of this information. We just didn’t think of you being in tune with magic as well but now that I think about it, you have shown very slight signs of magic in daily life.”

”Does this mean I’m not going back to school? Here?”

”I’m afraid not but you will be going to a new school. That’s why you got that letter. It’s from one of, or maybe the finest wizarding school in the world. That means we will have to fly to London in order to get you there.”

”London? Really?!”

”Yes Eunbi. This is going to be very exciting!”

”I have figured what to do!!”

Eunbi’s uncle came rushing in with a small paper and a grin on his face.

”We will get on the first plane we can book to London and we must start packing now!”

”So am I not going to school tomorrow?”

”No honey now hurry!”

*******

The trio had arrived at a large street in London, UK. Eunbi’s uncle held the piece of paper tightly as he mumbled.

”Leaky Cauldron...Leaky Cauldron...Leaky...Cauldron! Found it!”

He rushed inside a small door along with Eunbi and her aunt. They cautiously walked in and went towards the main counter of the restaurant.

”Excuse me sir, but may you please point me in the way of Diagon Alley?”

”Who wants to know huh?”

”The brother of Hwang Seokmin.”

The man behind the counter stopped what he was doing and everyone around him gasped. The man cleared his throat and went to the other side of the counter.

”Please follow me sir.”

The trio followed the man and they went through the back door. They were met with a brick wall.

”Before I open the passage, may I ask, what is the purpose of your visit?”

”Seokmin’s daughter, Hwang Eunbi, has been accepted into Hogwarts. We need to get her school supplies.”

The man nodded as he looked at Eunbi with a smile. He tapped the brick wall and it began to push and pull the bricks.

”Make sure to ask some magic folks inside how to transport around this world of ours easier ay?”

”Yes. Thank you sir!”

The passage was opened and the three walked in slowly, being met with many people walking around as well as many shops.

”Lets see...we need to get to Gringotts first to get some wizard money and then start looking around.”

Eunbi and her aunt nodded and they walked towards the large building that was not too far away to get a deposit.

When they finished, they left with a whole bunch of wizard money. Since Eunbi and her uncle are of a highly respected lineage around here. Eunbi’s father didn’t hesitate to leave all of his life savings towards his daughter when he died. To this day, Eunbi doesn’t exactly know how he died.

“So...I think it’s best to get your wand first and then we can get your books and other necessary items.”

The three entered a small shop called Olivanders and rang the bell at the counter as there was no one behind it.

Eunbi stood in front, only her eyes peeking above the counter. From behind the multiple shelves came a man and he smiled as he looked at the girl.

”You look like a Hwang. How joyous!”

Eunbi smiled and got on her toes, resting her arms on the counter.

”I would like to get a wand please sir!”

He nodded and began to shuffle and scurry through the shelves. He offered multiple wands but none of them seemed to get in her control. Until he reached one wand which was of a light wood color.

”Phoenix feather core...sycamore wood...might just be it.”

He put the box on the counter and handed Eunbi the wand. She felt a surge of energy go through her hand and felt a connection between her and this wand.

”Go on Eunbi. Try it!”

Urged her aunt excitedly. She nodded and waved it, the papers on the counter began to levitate and swish in the air and when Eunbi slowed her movement, they gently lowered down onto the counter.

”I think we’ve found your match! Which is odd since the core of your wand which is a Phoenix’s feather is extremely rare and not very easy to control..”

Eunbi smiled as she looked at the wand. They then went on to buy her other items and found out faster and more convenient ways to get around the magical world.

Eunbi had permission to bring an animal so she decided to bring an owl. A light brown one with soft feathers and a gentle hoot.

Once they had reached the train station they were told to enter. They frantically looked around for the platform specified to them as Nine-and-Three-Quarters. Eunbi pushed along her cart but they then stopped walking as they saw two people with the same carts as Eunbi. She approached them.

”Excuse me, do you happen to know how to get to platform nine-and-three-quarters?”

”Oh! You must be a first year! It’s right here.”

Eunbi looked at where the boy pointed and was a bit confused.

”Um...isn’t that just a brick wall?”

”No it’s not, it the entrance! You have to run in with your cart and once you go through, you’ll get there.”

”Oh right I forgot! Magic exists!”

Eunbi facepalmed herself and looked back at her parents. She turned back to the boy.

”Will my aunt and uncle get through?”

”I’m not sure but if you would like, I can guide you through!”

He looked at the two adults and Eunbi’s uncle smiled as he nodded.

”I’ll get through with my sister and I’ll meet you there!”

Eunbi turned to the two adults and hugged them tightly.

”I’ll miss you guys.”

”We’ll miss you too! Now go! It said that the train was leaving in a few minutes!”

Eunbi kissed their cheeks and held onto the cart tightly. She spoke gently to her light brown owl.

”Hang on Angie.”

She ran in and she went through the wall. Eunbi looked around and was met by the boy and his sister.

”Come on! Let’s get you a seat.”

The boy lead Eunbi and his sister inside and told them where to put their things. They then walked in the large train.

”You can take a seat there in that section. My sister will join you if that’s okay with you...um what your name?”

”I’m Hwang Eunbi. And yours?”

His eyes widened along with his sister’s. He stuttered out his name.

”I-I’m J-Jung Hoseok..um good luck on your first year!”

He rushed off and Eunbi scratched the back of her head.

”Quite odd behavior...”

She sat down in the small room along with the shorter girl. Her owl sat at the window ledge and looked out as the train began to move. She looked back at the girl who looked a bit shy but friendly.

”I never got your name..”

”I’m Jung Eunbi...it’s my first year too.”

”Huh! We have the same name! Nice to meet you Eunbi!”

She held out her hand and the other Eunbi shook it as she was sitting across from her.

”Just so we don’t get things mixed up, my nickname is SinB.”

Eunbi nodded and smiled. She asked about her cat that was sitting next to her.

“What’s your cat’s name?”

”H-his name is Benny. W-what’s your owl’s name?”

”Oh! Her name is Angie.”

SinB smiled at Eunbi who smiled back hesitantly. She tilted her head as she tried to think as to why she’s was acting so shy.

”Care to tell me what’s wrong?”

”I-It’s just that...your family is big around here...your Hwang Seokmin’s daughter right?”

”Yep! I just don’t know why it’s a big deal...”

”He saved the wizarding world when he was a student at Hogwarts too! When criminals at Azkaban threatened to expose this world to the muggle world.”

”Muggle? What’s a muggle?”

Eunbi gasped. She held her white cat closer to her as she pet his fur.

“How could you not know what a muggle is?”

”I just found out I had magic powers two days ago!”

Eunbi gasped again. How could the daughter of one of the best and bravest wizards to ever live, not know anything about magic?

”That’s odd...but don’t worry! I’ll teach you all you need to know in order to make your way easy around here.”

Just then, a grey cat came running in the room. The two jumped a bit in surprise. They heard hurried footsteps and then in came another girl.

”Gotcha! Haha!”

She held the cat in her arms gently. She looked at the two and chuckled nervously.

”Sorry! My cat got nervous and ran around when the train started! I’m so sorry!”

The girl stopped apologizing and she looked at SinB. She gasped and sat down a bit.

”Are you...Hwang Eunbi?”

SinB nodded with a smile. The girl’s jaw dropped. SinB spoke up.

”What’s your name?”

”J-Jung Yerin...and this is Zoey..”

Yerin said as she held up her grey cat. She cleared and stood up.

”I’m very sorry to be intruding. I didn’t mean to mess up your conversation. I’ll see you guys around maybe?”

”Yeah!”

SinB said with a smile. Yerin slightly blushed and smiled as she walked away. Eunbi turned to SinB when she was gone.

”Quite a clumsy girl...”

”She’s nice though. I like her...she might be a good friend.”

Eunbi hummed and nodded along. She pet her cat gently as she looked out the window. SinB smiled as she looked out as well.

”I think this is the start of a new adventure...don’t you think so too SinB?”

”Yeah...yeah I think so too..”