Chapter 33: Handong's Case

Black Suits(DREAMCATCHER)

 

"H-how did she... No, I can't believe this. Handong would not do that- She's not like that." Jooheon still couldn't believe his eyes upon reading the file on Handong's biodata. Closing the file, his eyes looked up at Madam Yoona's seeking for explanation.

"She's didn't do it on purpose. Someone risked their life trying to protect her," Madam Yoona admitted.

"What do you mean?"

"When did you first meet Handong? Was it five years ago when she enrolled in your school?"

"Yes. We'd been fast friends not long after. Then a month later, I got news from my teacher that she moved to Korea. I tried to contact her but there was no respond. But I'm really glad that I found her now."

"You weren't mad at her when she left?" Madam Yoona tried to clarify.

"No, I wasn't, just a little sad that she just up and left without a note goodbye. I'm just happy that she's back in my life. But, what's the connection between our friendship and her case?"

"Actually, there is and I think she didn't tell you all the truth about her past."

"Her past?"

Bracing herself to tell the story, she pushed forward. "Did you know Handong was an orphan?"

"Yeah, I know. She told me that her dad passed away since she was a kid and she's been living with her mother." Madam Yoona exhaled heavily, as she was reluctant to tell the truth to Jooheon.

"Actually, her mother also died the same year her father died."

"What?!" Jooheon cried.

"Her 'mother' that you were talking about was not her biological mother. The woman was the one who took Handong away when she tried to escape from the orphanage."

"She was in an orphanage?"

-----------------------

"You owe your life to someone? Who?" asked Xiumin.

"She..." As Handong started to begin, the fishing rod suddenly pulled and bent as a fish took the bait. Xiumin quickly grabbed the rod and tried to pull back but the fish fought back. Xiumin had to use more strength so that he could lift the fish out of the water and trying not to lose grip of the fishing rod.

"Man, this one must be huge!" he struggled with the fishing rod. Handong who was watching in amusement, suddenly got an idea. She stood up and took her leather jacket off, along with her jeans and shoes. Leaving her body clad in only her white shirt and undergarments. With a deep intake of breath, she jumped into the lake as Xiumin was startled looking where she fell in.

"Handong!" he shouted. Just a few seconds later, Handong showed up from the lake but she was struggling with something. Xiumin looked closely and saw that Handong was fighting with the fish that caught on his bait.

He grabbed a fishing net and threw it to Handong. She managed to manoeuvre herself and the fish without it breaking free and managed to slip the fish in the net. She swam back to the surface and gave the fish to him. Xiumin held his hand out to Handong as he helped her climb back up to the port. She lied down, catching her breath after the big fight with the fish. It didn't want to be on the dinner table.

"You're one of the most craziest people I've ever met," Handong laughed, too exhausted to reply.

"You've never met a girl who jumps into a lake to get a fish?" asked Handong. 

"Not even once," he shook his head smirking. His grin faded as he noticed Handong's state of undress, even more so when he noticed her wet shirt leaving it completely see-through.

"I'll go get a towel." He immediately sprang up and fled to the cabin eager to escape any incoming embarrassment he might do or say to her. He opened a closet in a bedroom and saw a spare towel, thankful it was clean. Closing the doors, he tried to get a hold of himself, slapping himself when it didn't work.

Walking briskly outside, he saw Handong sitting up with her knees up to her chest, warming herself up. "Here," he held out the towel.

"Thanks," she grabbed it and wrapped around her cold body. She took her leather jacket and pants and went back to the cabin to escape the cold temperature outside. Xiumin walked inside with the fish and settled it on the kitchen table. He glanced at Handong who was still clad in a towel attempting to dry her clothes by laying it out on the sofas. She looked up at Xiumin sensing his gaze. "I don't have any spare clothes," she explained simply. Xiumin nodded, moving to his bag as he brought spare clothes of his own.

"Here, I brought some with me. Hope it fits you," he said as he passed it to Handong. 

"Thanks," she took it from Xiumin and went to the bathroom to change. A few minutes later, she came out wearing his clothes, a simple white T-shirt and black short pants. It fit her comfortable although it is a little big. 

"Feels comfortable for men's clothes," she muttered and walked to living room where Xiumin was putting his leather jacket and his helmet on. 

"I'm heading out to buy some ingredients. You stay here and try not to jump in the lake again," he and walked out of the cabin.

"Haha very funny," she smirked and waved at him. Alone and bored, she looked around the cabin and stopped at a picture on the wall, where Xiumin's family photos are hung. She saw a photo of Xiumin looking like he was around 14 years old with a middle-aged woman who was probably his mother beside him. 

"His mother looks beautiful..."

"Just like you, mama..."

-------------- 

"What do you mean she was in an orphanage?" asked Jooheon.

"Handong was raised in an orphanage since she was a baby. The catch is it is not like any other orphanages, you see. It's disgusting honestly. An undercover, seemingly safe place where the owner actually sell the kids for their organs. When she knew about it, she ran away from that place and long after, she met a middle-aged woman. Her foster mom. She helped her escape and after that she raised Handong like her own daughter."

"So the woman I met... was not her real mother? Then, what happened to her?" he asked again.

"The tragedy happened when Handong was on her way home, to celebrate her foster mom's birthday. She just got the money prize you mentioned from winning the race. When she arrived, she saw an unknown person entering her house and arguing with her foster mother. She heard their conversation and the reason he came is to kill Handong."

"Kill her?"

Madam Yoona nodded, "He was the owner of the orphanage where Handong escaped."

"Why did he want to kill her?"

"Because Handong was the only one that knows of his activities and the only kid that managed to escape from that place. If she reported to the police, he will be behind bars. That's why he wanted to find Handong, and shut ."

"Then, what happened?"

"When Handong's mom refused to budge, the man started getting physical. Demanding where she was. I guess Handong couldn't stand hearing her mom's cries, she sneaked and attacked the man from behind. Handong didn't know how to fight and the man was too strong. Her foster mother tried to help but then he stabbed her  using a knife he brought and she fell down, a lot of blood pooling out from her wound. Handong was so angry at that time she wrenched the knife from him and stabbed him ten times."

"Did... Did her mother survive?" Madam Yoona shook her head negative. 

"And the man too. The police came to her house called in by worried neighbours hearing the disturbance. She was sent to a police station. Because of the severity of her actions, she'd been sent to court and went to juvenile school for a year.

"I thought the students in juvenile school would be free after five years. That's quick for her."

"I was the one who asked the warden to release her immediately but he could only give me a year because Handong's case was quite big. It was really hard hard to release a prisoner with a murder case. A year passed and I was finally able to take her out and right away I flew her to Korea and trained her to become an agent.

"She has become better, right?"

"Much better but she still isn't past the trauma she had. She still cannot see any sharp weapons especially knives. It would set a trigger anytime she sees one."

"Does she give out any reactions when she sees them?" 

"She doesn't show she was scared or afraid but..."

"But what?"

"This happened five months after she became an agent and at the time she was training with Jiu. I asked her to train Handong with weapons and that time, they used a dagger. Jiu told me that Handong was out of control and almost killed her. 

"She still can't forget her dark past. She might be cool and calm when she's with others, but behind her facade, she's hiding her fear and does not want to let her friends know," stated Madam Yoona.

"Is there anything that we can do to move on?" asked Jooheon.

She shook her head. "It all depends on her. She would be the only person who could fix herself. We can only hope for a miracle to happen." They all remained silent for a while. Later, Jooheon got up from his seat signalling his leave from the office.

"Thank you for telling me, Madam Yoona," he bowed to her and walked to the door. 

"Jooheon, wait," Madam Yoona stopped him. 

"Why do you want to know about Handong so much?" she asked. 

"Because..." Jooheon blinked, unable to think of an answer.

"Because you fell in love with her, right? When you guys were still in high school? That time, you wanted to confess your feelings to her but you didn't know she already moved away," Jooheon remained silent hearing Madam Yoona's statement.

"No..." he finally spoke and then he turned his head to Madam Yoona.

"Because... I'm her friend too, just like Dreamcatcher and Xiumin," he gave a smile and walked away from the office. Madam Yoona put the file back into her cabinet. Then, she sat down and laid back on her office chair. She turned around to the huge glass window and watched the orange sky glowing in the cool evening.

"Xiumin... Lee's assistant. That's why... What a love-triangle..." she smirked, shaking her head. 

Jooheon walked to the elevator and pushed a button. While waiting, he stiffened  remembering what Madam Yoona told him just now. 

"Does she stalk me like the girls too? How does she know I had a crush on Handong?" his mind was reeling trying to find a solution.

"Jooheon, it was a long time ago. Now, she has Xiumin and they are perfect together. It's time for you to move on." He didn't realize the elevator doors opened and suddenly a woman walked out from the elevator. She saw Jooheon as she went out of the elevator.

"Jooheon?" she called his name but he was still frozen like a rock. She snapped her fingers at his face and he was brought back to present, turned and saw a woman standing in front of him. 

"Y-Yoohyeon?" 

"Are you're alright?"

"Y-yeah I'm fine. What are you doing here?"

"Madam Yoona was invited for dinner with her business friend and I'm picking her up. Her driver's already here."

"Oh, I see. Have fun, then." He put on his calming smile and walked into the elevator.

"Jooheon, wait," he pushed the hold button as Yoohyeon called him. 

"What is it?" asked him. 

"If.. you have a problem, don't be afraid to share it with me. Okay?" she showed okay signal with her finger. 

He suddenly smirked. "I thought you would still be afraid of guys. But... Thank you for the offer." He smiled at her and pushed the G button and the elevator door closed.
Yoohyeon stood still like a rock in front of the elevator door unable to process her emotions when he smiled. 

"His smile... why is my heart beating so fast when he smiles at me every time?"

No way... 

Am I... 

Falling in love with him? 

_____________

Half an hour passed as Xiumin breezed through the aisles and bought some food from the supermarket. He went back with his trusted motorcycle to the cabin where Handong would most likely complain by hunger she was feeling the second he stepped inside. As he arrived, he briskly walked to the cabin with the numerous bags of groceries.

"Hey Handong, I got the ingredients for the food so we can--" he suddenly stopped when he saw Handong laying unconscious on the floor.

"Handong!"

End Of Chapter 33.